Washington Stadium

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Washington Stadium

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:08 pm
I've been to probably 7 or 8 games in Washington-Bobcat Stadium, and I can unequivocally say that I'll go back again. It's an amazing place to watch a football game. I can hate the griz, but I respect what they have built and I'm jealous of the stadium. Wouldn't trade a lot else, but definitely that. There are always high emotions on both sides at these games, both in Bozeman and Missoula, but if you are venturing into enemy territory, you have to grow a little thicker skin and walk around with a little humility. Like others have said, if you go on the defensive and act aggressive, you probably won't have a lot of fun. If you walk around not looking for trouble and just ignore the idiots, diffuse the situations that arise with a joke and a shared drink, and don't go flapping back telling them they suck etc., you'll have fun.

And remember these things when the game is in Bozeman. Years ago, I didn't come to the defense of a buddy of mine that was getting harassed by some Cats after the game because he's a griz fan. I didn't chip in, but I didn't say anything to back him up. He wasn't pissed at them, he was pissed at me. Thankfully, he called me on it, and I've felt bad about it for 15 years now, and I don't let it happen again. We can be part of the solution. If/when you see someone belligerently acting like a jackass to other fans - of any school - defend the visitors, call out the jackass, and then get the visitors a beer. Makes us look like better fans and hopefully in time makes Bozeman the envy of everyone for being such a great place.
Great post! I had a bad experience in Wa Griz with my 65 year old dad about 10+ years ago. It was a Griz playoff game against some out of state team. It was a beautiful winter day and a good opportunity to enjoy some football with my dad and the Cats out of the playoffs. I had an MSU alumni hat on but I was clearly rooting for the Griz. One jackass Griz fan behind us railed on us relentlessly for the first half. At the half, we got up to move and the people surrounding us commented on how well we handled the situation. I told them all that they should be ashamed that they didn’t intervene and tell the heckler to knock it off. In my mind, their complacency made them just as guilty as the instigator. I will never go back to that crap hole again.

As a side note, it only takes one fool to make the whole fan base look bad. I recognize this and know we have a-holes in our fan base as well. No way to prove it, but there does seem to be a higher percentage of the arrogant egotistical jackass fans in the Griz fan base.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
I've been to probably 7 or 8 games in Washington-Bobcat Stadium, and I can unequivocally say that I'll go back again. It's an amazing place to watch a football game. I can hate the griz, but I respect what they have built and I'm jealous of the stadium. Wouldn't trade a lot else, but definitely that. There are always high emotions on both sides at these games, both in Bozeman and Missoula, but if you are venturing into enemy territory, you have to grow a little thicker skin and walk around with a little humility. Like others have said, if you go on the defensive and act aggressive, you probably won't have a lot of fun. If you walk around not looking for trouble and just ignore the idiots, diffuse the situations that arise with a joke and a shared drink, and don't go flapping back telling them they suck etc., you'll have fun.

And remember these things when the game is in Bozeman. Years ago, I didn't come to the defense of a buddy of mine that was getting harassed by some Cats after the game because he's a griz fan. I didn't chip in, but I didn't say anything to back him up. He wasn't pissed at them, he was pissed at me. Thankfully, he called me on it, and I've felt bad about it for 15 years now, and I don't let it happen again. We can be part of the solution. If/when you see someone belligerently acting like a jackass to other fans - of any school - defend the visitors, call out the jackass, and then get the visitors a beer. Makes us look like better fans and hopefully in time makes Bozeman the envy of everyone for being such a great place.
Great post! I had a bad experience in Wa Griz with my 65 year old dad about 10+ years ago. It was a Griz playoff game against some out of state team. It was a beautiful winter day and a good opportunity to enjoy some football with my dad and the Cats out of the playoffs. I had an MSU alumni hat on but I was clearly rooting for the Griz. One jackass Griz fan behind us railed on us relentlessly for the first half. At the half, we got up to move and the people surrounding us commented on how well we handled the situation. I told them all that they should be ashamed that they didn’t intervene and tell the heckler to knock it off. In my mind, their complacency made them just as guilty as the instigator. I will never go back to that crap hole again.

As a side note, it only takes one fool to make the whole fan base look bad. I recognize this and know we have a-holes in our fan base as well. No way to prove it, but there does seem to be a higher percentage of the arrogant egotistical jackass fans in the Griz fan base.
Couple things. The bolded part above is my first problem. You need to learn how to root against them inwardly but remain neutral on the outside. This leads to my other opinion, I am always decked out in Cat gear in Missoula for Cat-Griz but I don't wear any of it if they're playing someone else. It's not because I'f afraid of getting beat up but that's just asking for people around you to do things that take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

pckrfndvdarm
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by pckrfndvdarm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm

I will have to say I have only been to one Cat/Griz game in Missoula, and that was 2 years ago. The people around us for the most part, was very polite. One guy right in front of us got into our faces a ln itt ln e after their first possession. As the game went on, it became very quiet. In the 4th qtr, you could carry ugh on a normal conversation with anybody around. At end of the game, almost every person congratulated us, and said how they was completely outcoached. Very memorable.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm
BozoneCat wrote:

Couple things. The bolded part above is my first problem. You need to learn how to root against them inwardly but remain neutral on the outside. This leads to my other opinion, I am always decked out in Cat gear in Missoula for Cat-Griz but I don't wear any of it if they're playing someone else. It's not because I'f afraid of getting beat up but that's just asking for people around you to do things that take away from the enjoyment of the game.
Haha! I used to root for the Griz when they played other teams but that has changed. They have become the most obnoxious fan base in FCS. Even their announcers refer to Wa Griz as the Mecca of FCS football but they really haven’t been relevant for all of this decade.

In hindsight, I would not have worn the hat. Sad, but true. I was in Missoula that weekend with my dad and we decided the game would be fun while the ladies shopped. It wasn’t planned and I was wearing an alumni hat that day.

Anyway, more than anything, I was disappointed with the people sitting around us. It would have only taken one or two people around us to just tell the jackass to ease up and let us watch the game. Maybe it is due to my experience, but I am proactive when I see that crap happen in Bozeman.

cats_thirdeye
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats_thirdeye » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 pm

I seemed to have bad experiences during undergrad at both stadiums from both sets of fans. Including one of our own at Bobcat Stadium during our last loss dining the streak. A student two or three rows above us, threw a liquor bottle at a UM student right below us and kncoked him out.

I unfortunately had to obtain my professional graduate degree from the school west of the divide after graduating from MSU. It was a three year program and was able to attend two Cat Griz games at Sugar Daddy stadium. The first was the game that had a promising start with that Crawford run and then completely turned. And two years later.....DeNarius McGhee! Rushed the field. Anyways.....both games, I surprisingly experienced no issues with the bad crowd. I also attended other games during those three years.....mostly just tailgating my friends in the program and of course in I always wore Cat gear, no matter who they were playing. If the game was close, I would go into the stadium and start cheering for whoever they were playing. I mostly had good experiences, even when I was the annoying prick. But it also may have helped to be surrounded by friends in Griz gear.