On our offense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: On our offense

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:21 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:58 pm
Even though Tucker Rovig is/was 'Out for the Season' on SA, he was still listed as #2 on depth chart with no one at #3.

Is Bauman going to be #2 this week vs Weber or will Jonsen be #2....anyone know?
I believe that Rovig was injured on the Tuesday before the game and they had already released the depth chart. Bauman was the backup from everything I heard.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm

We had a bubble screen in I think second half. 3rd and 7 our so. Went to Kassis. I hated the call. Would rather throw to the sticks. But watching the replay, he turned up field and after a couple yards if he cuts to outside he easily has first down and a big play if not touchdown. Instead we were short and had to punt. It reminded me that play calls are about execution.

Sports is not bigger than life

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:40 pm
I hate bubble screens. High risk low reward and I don't think Troy is ready to put the ball in just the right place consistently. I liked the quick hitches to McCutcheon we threw a couple times. Easy passes, quick 5-8 yards. I also liked Ifanse getting more carries. Kassis seemed invisible on Saturday and was surprised to see he had three catches. We need him getting 6-8 catches of any kind.

I continue to have faith that Choate has a plan and it is still developing.
More of those "Hitches", (And any other means of getting him the ball quick) need to go to Jonsen. I re watched the game last night and he was so close on a couple of them. If he can get past that first defender, look out. Would be awesome to see him have his breakout game where he gets into the open field against Weber. Again, not to sound like a broken record here but all the players and coaches say he's faster than TA, and nobody catches TA when he gets to the open field.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 pm

1) Run the ball more.

Yes, I know, everyone thinks we should pass more. I think we are around a 60/40 run team right now, I would like to see us at 75/25. Now that Troy is our quarterback for sure with Rovig out, let's play to his strengths. We are a much better run team than passing with Troy, lets accept it and quit putting a square peg in a round hole.

2) Jonsen

Let's get him involved more, but not in the passing game. He can't catch very well. Not his fault, he is not a receiver. Let's get him the ball with some quick pitches or fly sweeps, etc.

3) Draw plays

I think we should get to 75/25 running from 60/40 with draw plays. Our best play last year with Murray was the quarterback draw play. Same this year, we just don't do it much. Against Idaho I only recall 1 that got called , and I think it went for about 15 yards. The 60 yard TD was basically a draw but wasn't a called draw. Let's give Troy more opportunities with his strengths, more draws, less runs when the defense knows he's running.

4) Infanse

What an incredible player. When I saw him truck #10 from Idaho, wow. He needs the ball more. One of our best players as a freshman.

5) Play action

Passing needs to come from play action and one read. Play action, go deep if its one on one, if not run. Troy plays best with quick decisions. One read and go if it's not there. Even if he throws it up, if its one on one we have the advantage.

6) go deep

If they are going to stack the box, and play one on one, we need to go deep more often. 50% passing for short passes sucks, but 50% for deep balls is great.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 pm
1) Run the ball more.

Yes, I know, everyone thinks we should pass more. I think we are around a 60/40 run team right now, I would like to see us at 75/25. Now that Troy is our quarterback for sure with Rovig out, let's play to his strengths. We are a much better run team than passing with Troy, lets accept it and quit putting a square peg in a round hole.

2) Jonsen

Let's get him involved more, but not in the passing game. He can't catch very well. Not his fault, he is not a receiver. Let's get him the ball with some quick pitches or fly sweeps, etc.

3) Draw plays

I think we should get to 75/25 running from 60/40 with draw plays. Our best play last year with Murray was the quarterback draw play. Same this year, we just don't do it much. Against Idaho I only recall 1 that got called , and I think it went for about 15 yards. The 60 yard TD was basically a draw but wasn't a called draw. Let's give Troy more opportunities with his strengths, more draws, less runs when the defense knows he's running.

4) Infanse

What an incredible player. When I saw him truck #10 from Idaho, wow. He needs the ball more. One of our best players as a freshman.

5) Play action

Passing needs to come from play action and one read. Play action, go deep if its one on one, if not run. Troy plays best with quick decisions. One read and go if it's not there. Even if he throws it up, if its one on one we have the advantage.

6) go deep

If they are going to stack the box, and play one on one, we need to go deep more often. 50% passing for short passes sucks, but 50% for deep balls is great.
Well said. I would only add that when they go deep, go to Kassis. He finds a way to catch the ball.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm

I just noticed on the "game notes" that 89% of our offensive production are TA and Ifanse. No surprise there, but IF one of those two goes down.........! Now is the time to fix that!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm

JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

Troy's YPA running is a lot better than passing, which indicates that running more might* not actually be a bad idea. But you can't combine that idea with draw plays. It's one or the other. Nobody's going to bite on a draw play when the team barely passes.

Play action, on the other hand, could be very effective in an offense that runs 75% of the time.

*On the other hand, it's the garbage teams that Troy has gashed in the running game, while actual good teams have held him more in check, so maybe all this will do is allow the Cats to beat garbage teams more comfortably and make them even easier for good teams to beat. I dunno. It's not a crazy idea though.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 am

It MIGHT be time for another Kassis TD pass over the middle this week! Just saying! :D

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 am

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm
We had a bubble screen in I think second half. 3rd and 7 our so. Went to Kassis. I hated the call. Would rather throw to the sticks. But watching the replay, he turned up field and after a couple yards if he cuts to outside he easily has first down and a big play if not touchdown. Instead we were short and had to punt. It reminded me that play calls are about execution.
Kassis definitely and uncharacteristically missed one there.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 am
It MIGHT be time for another Kassis TD pass over the middle this week! Just saying! :D
What I'm saying is Kassis passing for a TD over the middle!!! :D

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:19 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

Troy's YPA running is a lot better than passing, which indicates that running more might* not actually be a bad idea. But you can't combine that idea with draw plays. It's one or the other. Nobody's going to bite on a draw play when the team barely passes.

Play action, on the other hand, could be very effective in an offense that runs 75% of the time.

*On the other hand, it's the garbage teams that Troy has gashed in the running game, while actual good teams have held him more in check, so maybe all this will do is allow the Cats to beat garbage teams more comfortably and make them even easier for good teams to beat. I dunno. It's not a crazy idea though.
Well, Troy's not Iron Man. Choate has tried to limit his planned runs to try and save his body. He needs to do that if we want him to last the whole year. I remember Ryan Johnson used to be so beat up after a game he couldn't practice for most of the week. A QB has to practice. Look for the coaches to try and distribute the ball a little better.

2024 Resume dominance

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 am

I'm not saying the Cats need to up Troy's carries. They could get some more running backs involved. They could also mix in 1-2 more exotic runs per game: jet sweeps, end arounds, reverses.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:04 am

I'm not able to watch the games....out of the country. But I see where the Griz use Sulser in a jet sweep wrinkle....why not Jonsen in the same capacity? Is this play in our scheme?

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:04 am
I'm not able to watch the games....out of the country. But I see where the Griz use Sulser in a jet sweep wrinkle....why not Jonsen in the same capacity? Is this play in our scheme?
Patterson has been getting those carries. (Well, he has 5 carries.)

-Trent King, Playmakers

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 am

WP was noticeably missing from the game plan against Idaho, one carry 0 targets? Not sure why as he looked healthy?

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 am

He had at least 1 sweep play that was quickly stifled by Idaho, and one zone read that he thought he was getting, but Troy pulled it back (ripping it out of Willy’s hands). Troy had a good gain on that run.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:28 am

Willie is generally used most often in the quick game, you could tell early in the game that Idaho was intent on blowing up the quick game passes.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Continuing the thinking that we should be running more, I was thinking our offense could look more like NDSU.

So I looked up the stats to compare.

MSU

60/40 run/pass
4.8 YPA running
7.5 YPA passing
12.7 Yards per completion
completion % 59.3, (Andersen is 57.4)

NDSU

70/30 run/pass
6.2 YPA running
8.8 YPA passing
15.6 yards per completion
completion % 56.1

Who would have thought we have a higher completion % than NDSU?

NDSU runs more, and when they throw they go down field. I assume it's probably mostly play action.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 am

JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

I think all of your points are valid. I really like points 2, 3 and 5 where they can involve Jonsen to some extent. I think he is key to adding another dimension to our offense.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 am
I'm not saying the Cats need to up Troy's carries. They could get some more running backs involved. They could also mix in 1-2 more exotic runs per game: jet sweeps, end arounds, reverses.
Yeah, I was wondering why we do not do any spread option type plays anymore with some speed guys? Is it because TA doesn't want to pitch it? :) That part of the game is totally gone. It's either a short pass right or left, QB option draw/run, or QB handoff to a RB, 2-3 Long passes down field.