On our offense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: On our offense

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:09 am

I think it's because they are trying to build up Troy's passing game, so to get him into a rhythm they have been trying those short passes. He missed some fairly easy throws Saturday that would have gone for 5+ yards each time. Not gamechanging but instead of 2nd and 10 it's 2nd and 5. To better sustain drives, we need to pick up 4+ yards on first down.

We simply need to get other skill players involved, I've been saying this for weeks. There are a multitude of ways to do that, but so far we haven't found much success with Troy at the helm. Whether it be batted passes, errant throws, OL unable to seal the edge, it just hasn't worked too well yet. I think we'll see new stuff every week in a continuous search to find different wants to move the ball.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 am
I'm not saying the Cats need to up Troy's carries. They could get some more running backs involved. They could also mix in 1-2 more exotic runs per game: jet sweeps, end arounds, reverses.
Yeah, I was wondering why we do not do any spread option type plays anymore with some speed guys? Is it because TA doesn't want to pitch it? :) That part of the game is totally gone. It's either a short pass right or left, QB option draw/run, or QB handoff to a RB, 2-3 Long passes down field.
That diamond formation with TA, Ifanse, Willie P/Jonsen/Kassis would be awesome. I would love to see that where all 4 are a threat to get the ball. If the ball isn't handed off initially you have TA who can run it, the pitch option or even a shovel pass option underneath.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 am

I forgot about the diamond formation, that worked really well with Murray under center.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 pm
1) Run the ball more.

Yes, I know, everyone thinks we should pass more. I think we are around a 60/40 run team right now, I would like to see us at 75/25. Now that Troy is our quarterback for sure with Rovig out, let's play to his strengths. We are a much better run team than passing with Troy, lets accept it and quit putting a square peg in a round hole.

2) Jonsen

Let's get him involved more, but not in the passing game. He can't catch very well. Not his fault, he is not a receiver. Let's get him the ball with some quick pitches or fly sweeps, etc.

3) Draw plays

I think we should get to 75/25 running from 60/40 with draw plays. Our best play last year with Murray was the quarterback draw play. Same this year, we just don't do it much. Against Idaho I only recall 1 that got called , and I think it went for about 15 yards. The 60 yard TD was basically a draw but wasn't a called draw. Let's give Troy more opportunities with his strengths, more draws, less runs when the defense knows he's running.

4) Infanse

What an incredible player. When I saw him truck #10 from Idaho, wow. He needs the ball more. One of our best players as a freshman.

5) Play action

Passing needs to come from play action and one read. Play action, go deep if its one on one, if not run. Troy plays best with quick decisions. One read and go if it's not there. Even if he throws it up, if its one on one we have the advantage.

6) go deep

If they are going to stack the box, and play one on one, we need to go deep more often. 50% passing for short passes sucks, but 50% for deep balls is great.
1) We didn't run more, 60/40 run to pass again. We are still putting a square peg in a round hole. We clearly need to run more, maybe even triple option or something. Let's play to Troy's strengths if the Freshmen aren't ready yet. Troy only ran the ball 11 times, and 4 or 5 of those were at the end when its over. He threw the ball 22 time and only ran 11. Those #'s should be reversed. Called runs were even less, some of his runs were scrambling to the outside, from the pocket, which he doesn't do as well because he takes kind of a looping circle.

2) We got Jonsen involved more which worked. 7 caries for 45 yards. Still tried to throw to him though.

3) I think we ran only 2 draw plays again, one for the big score. It's our best play.

4) Tried to get it to Infanse, but Weber shut him down. One thing I noticed, do we ever fake it to Infanse?

5) not much if any.

6) Didn't go deep until the end. Still trying to throw short which we can't do.

Frustrating game. I hope this is the game where Choate makes some changes with how we run the offense. If we don't keep trying to throw the ball, we don't have the interceptions and maybe we when the game.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 pm
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

Yes, I know, everyone thinks we should pass more. I think we are around a 60/40 run team right now, I would like to see us at 75/25. Now that Troy is our quarterback for sure with Rovig out, let's play to his strengths. We are a much better run team than passing with Troy, lets accept it and quit putting a square peg in a round hole.

2) Jonsen

Let's get him involved more, but not in the passing game. He can't catch very well. Not his fault, he is not a receiver. Let's get him the ball with some quick pitches or fly sweeps, etc.

3) Draw plays

I think we should get to 75/25 running from 60/40 with draw plays. Our best play last year with Murray was the quarterback draw play. Same this year, we just don't do it much. Against Idaho I only recall 1 that got called , and I think it went for about 15 yards. The 60 yard TD was basically a draw but wasn't a called draw. Let's give Troy more opportunities with his strengths, more draws, less runs when the defense knows he's running.

4) Infanse

What an incredible player. When I saw him truck #10 from Idaho, wow. He needs the ball more. One of our best players as a freshman.

5) Play action

Passing needs to come from play action and one read. Play action, go deep if its one on one, if not run. Troy plays best with quick decisions. One read and go if it's not there. Even if he throws it up, if its one on one we have the advantage.

6) go deep

If they are going to stack the box, and play one on one, we need to go deep more often. 50% passing for short passes sucks, but 50% for deep balls is great.
1) We didn't run more, 60/40 run to pass again. We are still putting a square peg in a round hole. We clearly need to run more, maybe even triple option or something. Let's play to Troy's strengths if the Freshmen aren't ready yet. Troy only ran the ball 11 times, and 4 or 5 of those were at the end when its over. He threw the ball 22 time and only ran 11. Those #'s should be reversed. Called runs were even less, some of his runs were scrambling to the outside, from the pocket, which he doesn't do as well because he takes kind of a looping circle.

2) We got Jonsen involved more which worked. 7 caries for 45 yards. Still tried to throw to him though.

3) I think we ran only 2 draw plays again, one for the big score. It's our best play.

4) Tried to get it to Infanse, but Weber shut him down. One thing I noticed, do we ever fake it to Infanse?

5) not much if any.

Frustrating game. I hope this is the game where Choate makes some changes with how we run the offense. If we don't keep trying to throw the ball, we don't have the interceptions and maybe we when the game.
You're still not getting this. The draw play only works because they're still trying to pass the ball. If they're never passing the ball, nobody's going to bite on a draw play.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm
JimboCat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

5) not much if any.

You're still not getting this. The draw play only works because they're still trying to pass the ball. If they're never passing the ball, nobody's going to bite on a draw play.
You're right BnBnG but since JCat is only a fan what can you expect. Now if he was getting paid some where around $180,000 to figure this thing out and make the right adjustments in personnel and play calling well then maybe that person should be getting things dialed in better. :-^
This is not in any way a knock on you JCat.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm
JimboCat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

5) not much if any.

They barely bite on it now. 1st down, run. 2nd down, run. 3rd and long, pass. 4th down, punt.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:35 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 pm
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

Well said. I would only add that when they go deep, go to Kassis. He finds a way to catch the ball.
Just stop. This team can't run the ball and the offensive coordinator needs to go on Monday. We ran the same ****** you guys are saying we need more of. The team is irrelevant with no actual QB. The Big Sky knows this and good or average teams stop it! Our offense throughout the year has relied on TA being an amazing athlete!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:37 pm

JimboCat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

5) not much if any.

I honestly don't know is what you are suggesting will work or not, but tend to think Not for the following reasons: 1) We have failed to establish a running game (not includint the QB) for the most part - this involved the RB's as well as the entire OL and WR;s who block as well. 2) We have failed to establish any semblance of a passing game that can be counted on to take the pressure off of the running game. 3) Essentially all we have is big play game based on the QB running, or some form or trickery among Anderson, Johnsen, and Kassis (that are only one-shot deals).

Weber made it abundantly clear with their second string QB yesterday that balance is not about the number of plays running or passing, but whatever combination it takes to keep the defense OFF BALANCE! Very few teams can establish the blocking needed to actually "run it down your throat at all costs mind-set", therefor need to rely on the passing game.

Edit: I'd love to see more triple option.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:02 pm

codecat wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:37 pm
JimboCat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

5) not much if any.

I honestly don't know is what you are suggesting will work or not, but tend to think Not for the following reasons: 1) We have failed to establish a running game (not includint the QB) for the most part - this involved the RB's as well as the entire OL and WR;s who block as well. 2) We have failed to establish any semblance of a passing game that can be counted on to take the pressure off of the running game. 3) Essentially all we have is big play game based on the QB running, or some form or trickery among Anderson, Johnsen, and Kassis (that are only one-shot deals).

Weber made it abundantly clear with their second string QB yesterday that balance is not about the number of plays running or passing, but whatever combination it takes to keep the defense OFF BALANCE! Very few teams can establish the blocking needed to actually "run it down your throat at all costs mind-set", therefor need to rely on the passing game.

I don't know what will work because I am not a coach and have never coached. I don't need to be suggesting what to change, that is just stupid on my part. What I do know is we need to do something different.

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:20 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:02 pm
codecat wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:37 pm
JimboCat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
1) Run the ball more.

2) Jonsen

3) Draw plays

4) Infanse

5) Play action

6) go deep

5) not much if any.

I don't know what will work because I am not a coach and have never coached. I don't need to be suggesting what to change, that is just stupid on my part. What I do know is we need to do something different.

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
I agree with you 100%. I don't pretend to know enough about football to know what needs to change, whether it's trying a new QB, or changing up the game plan, or whatever, but you don't need to be Vince Lombardi or Nick Saban to know that something needs to change. All you need to do is look at the stats from the WSU game...7 1st downs, 220 yards total offense, only 150 yards other than Andersen's long TD run, 53 yards passing, only 8 yards in the 2nd half, and 2.4 yards per pass attempt. I mean those numbers are truly abysmal. I know WSU has a very good defense, but we made them look like the 1985 Chicago Bears or the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.Without the 17 gift points that we got via WSU's 3 interceptions deep in their own end of the field, we would have lost 34-7. I don't know how anyone can look at those numbers and say that it's not time to at least try something different, because what we're doing clearly isn't working. It really can't get any worse, can it?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm

What if we don’t have any viable options. We can’t just make changes for the sake of making changes. The BN whiners are arguing from the position that we have a better option on the bench or at least a wash. They believe that all things are equal so why not try something else. I think the Cats are trying something else. How many times did someone other than TA take a snap against Weber? To me that is the coaches trying to find solutions to a very difficult situation.

Armstrong has 22 years of coaching experience but is too dumb to see that Bauman is ready.
Cole has 35 years experience and many of those coaching qbs but he forgot to mention to Choate that we have a much better option riding pine.
Choate has 27 years of coaching experience but is to arrogant and hard headed to admit that the next Peyton Manning is sitting on the bench.

Does any of that sound probable or does it seem much more likely that we don’t have another viable option and these men understand that due to their experience. Is it more probable that a fan forum full of Monday morning QBs doesn’t understand the entirety of the problem and that these experienced coaches who have the full backing of the players are trying to make the best of a challenging situation or maybe Choate is just hard headed, Armstrong is a POS and Cole just doesn’t give a ******. Which one makes sense? Choate who was willing to start a 17 year old once his pick at QB faultered is letting the 2nd coming ride the pine because he would rather lose than admit he’s wrong. I don’t think so.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:18 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm
What if we don’t have any viable options. We can’t just make changes for the sake of making changes. The BN whiners are arguing from the position that we have a better option on the bench or at least a wash. They believe that all things are equal so why not try something else. I think the Cats are trying something else. How many times did someone other than TA take a snap against Weber? To me that is the coaches trying to find solutions to a very difficult situation.

Armstrong has 22 years of coaching experience but is too dumb to see that Bauman is ready.
Cole has 35 years experience and many of those coaching qbs but he forgot to mention to Choate that we have a much better option riding pine.
Choate has 27 years of coaching experience but is to arrogant and hard headed to admit that the next Peyton Manning is sitting on the bench.

Does any of that sound probable or does it seem much more likely that we don’t have another viable option and these men understand that due to their experience. Is it more probable that a fan forum full of Monday morning QBs doesn’t understand the entirety of the problem and that these experienced coaches who have the full backing of the players are trying to make the best of a challenging situation or maybe Choate is just hard headed, Armstrong is a POS and Cole just doesn’t give a ******. Which one makes sense? Choate who was willing to start a 17 year old once his pick at QB faultered is letting the 2nd coming ride the pine because he would rather lose than admit he’s wrong. I don’t think so.
Choate wasn’t willing to start a 17 year old until the home fans booed his anointed QB off the field (one of the worst moments in Bobcat football history). So, yes, Choate has proven that he is unwilling to admit when he is wrong.

I do think that we have a smart and capable staff, but it was painfully obvious during the WIU game that something needed to change, yet here we are still bitching and whining about the same hot mess on offense that we had in game one.

How bad does it have to get before we all just admit that we’ve hit rock bottom with our offense?

Bobcatdaddio
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bobcatdaddio » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 pm

If Choate is not going to play Jonsen then try out the freshman QBs, we only have 4 games left and they will not affect their redshirt status even if they play all four games under the new redshirt rule. He may be pleasantly surprised. If by some miracle we make the playoffs with one of them then burn their redshirt. He can always go back to status quo with Troy at any time.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Bobcatdaddio wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 pm
If Choate is not going to play Jonsen then try out the freshman QBs, we only have 4 games left and they will not affect their redshirt status even if they play all four games under the new redshirt rule. He may be pleasantly surprised. If by some miracle we make the playoffs with one of them then burn their redshirt. He can always go back to status quo with Troy at any time.

Yup.

Exactly what I said in another thread

FTG- GO CATS GO!