Next Up: Weber

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Next Up: Weber

Post by kwcat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 am

Next up, Weber State, the 1st of 2 road games, arguably our two toughest games left on the schedule.
How healthy are we after Idaho? The game looked pretty physical, especially for Troy Andersen.
Weber just beat EWU 14-6 at home . EWU was without Gage Gubrud, they lost him after playing MSU, defensive playmaker Fettig on defense, and Ketner Kupp also who had a huge game against MSU.

Weber had an impressive win over USD at home.

I think our offenses are of similar skill with Weber having an edge on defense.

What do you all think?

We need to be at least one of two in the next road games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bo ... =401030436

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Next Up: Weber

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 am

Definitely a tough, tough two game stretch. If we can win 1 of them, I think we'll be playoff bound. If we drop both, then the playoffs basically start immediately, and we'll need to win out to get to 7 wins. Even then we'd be a bubble team and probably miss out, with a 5-3 conference record and no real quality wins.

So these next 2 games will make or break the season.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 am

kwcat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 am
Next up, Weber State, the 1st of 2 road games, arguably our two toughest games left on the schedule.
How healthy are we after Idaho? The game looked pretty physical, especially for Troy Andersen.
Weber just beat EWU 14-6 at home . EWU was without Gage Gubrud, they lost him after playing MSU, defensive playmaker Fettig on defense, and Ketner Kupp also who had a huge game against MSU.

What do you all think?

After Idaho, I came away with the following thoughts:

1) Choate's teams have ALWAYS played until the final whistle; if he's done nothing else, he's bred fighters in that locker room. There doesn't seem to be much chance that goes away so long as he's here, and that could be the difference between 8-4 and 5-7.
2) We have got to find consistency on offense so we don't have to rely on Troy busting an 80 yard run for a 2nd half TD that gives us the advantage...which brings me to...
3) FIRST HALF! Choate's teams have also been predominantly 2nd half teams--he seems to be great at halftime adjustments--but we paint ourselves into a corner after 2 quarters way too often. If we can manage to go into the locker room up a score at half, I think we would be able to be more methodical in the 2nd half
4) The team seems to be finding their confidence. I was bummed after hearing that Rovig was scheduled to start vs Idaho prior to his injury because I felt we needed him on offense and Troy on defense; but frankly the fact that this QB discussion is now over for the year may not be a bad thing (other than Tucker being hurt, which sucks for him, and us). If they can manage to get out of Ogden with a win, I think they will really be a force for the rest of the season. If we can't get it done...then just another bit of adversity these boys need to overcome.
5) I am more impressed with this bunch by the week.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:01 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 am
kwcat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 am

What do you all think?

After Idaho, I came away with the following thoughts:

1) Choate's teams have ALWAYS played until the final whistle; if he's done nothing else, he's bred fighters in that locker room. There doesn't seem to be much chance that goes away so long as he's here, and that could be the difference between 8-4 and 5-7.
2) We have got to find consistency on offense so we don't have to rely on Troy busting an 80 yard run for a 2nd half TD that gives us the advantage...which brings me to...
3) FIRST HALF! Choate's teams have also been predominantly 2nd half teams--he seems to be great at halftime adjustments--but we paint ourselves into a corner after 2 quarters way too often. If we can manage to go into the locker room up a score at half, I think we would be able to be more methodical in the 2nd half
4) The team seems to be finding their confidence. I was bummed after hearing that Rovig was scheduled to start vs Idaho prior to his injury because I felt we needed him on offense and Troy on defense; but frankly the fact that this QB discussion is now over for the year may not be a bad thing (other than Tucker being hurt, which sucks for him, and us). If they can manage to get out of Ogden with a win, I think they will really be a force for the rest of the season. If we can't get it done...then just another bit of adversity these boys need to overcome.
5) I am more impressed with this bunch by the week.
Good stuff.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 am

I watched the NAU Weber game on Pluto and was optimistic. That game was some really bad football all around, and Weber had 4 fumbles (2 lost) and 3 interceptions. They also punted 8 times. The QB averaged 3.3 yards per pass attempt and finished with 115 yards through the air on 14 for 35 passing. They were incredibly 3 out of 18 on third down conversions. Is NAU really that good at D or was Weber incredibly bad on O? Serious question.

Against EWU, they scored 14 in the first quarter, then went 0 0 0 points for the final 3 quarters. Call me crazy, but it seems our D should be able to limit their O. Our LB play has greatly improved in the last couple games, and other than the aforementioned slow starts, we are playing great defense. I really like that side of the ball on Saturday.

Their defense is fantastic and outright scary. I'm really not sure we'll be able do too much other than hope TA breaks some big plays. I think maybe we are hoping they let up a bit after a huge emotional win? They are very well coached, so that's kind of a stretch. I think we have a great chance to stay in the game and have a chance to win. Look for another grind just like Idaho.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 am
I watched the NAU Weber game on Pluto and was optimistic. That game was some really bad football all around, and Weber had 4 fumbles (2 lost) and 3 interceptions. They also punted 8 times. The QB averaged 3.3 yards per pass attempt and finished with 115 yards through the air on 14 for 35 passing. They were incredibly 3 out of 18 on third down conversions. Is NAU really that good at D or was Weber incredibly bad on O? Serious question.

Against EWU, they scored 14 in the first quarter, then went 0 0 0 points for the final 3 quarters. Call me crazy, but it seems our D should be able to limit their O. Our LB play has greatly improved in the last couple games, and other than the aforementioned slow starts, we are playing great defense. I really like that side of the ball on Saturday.

Their defense is fantastic and outright scary. I'm really not sure we'll be able do too much other than hope TA breaks some big plays. I think maybe we are hoping they let up a bit after a huge emotional win? They are very well coached, so that's kind of a stretch. I think we have a great chance to stay in the game and have a chance to win. Look for another grind just like Idaho.
One of those TDs was setup on a 75 yard punt return too.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am

Darth Yoda wrote:

7 of Weber's points came on a special teams return as well. They really are anemic on offense, and great on defense. If either team scores more than 17 on Saturday I'd be surprised. And I wouldn't be surprised if both score 14 or less.

To me the biggest key to the game this weekend will be Padmos and Bailey keeping the ball away from their return men. Padmos hasn't been as good as last year, but he hasn't allowed many returns either. Bailey needs to start kicking the ball into the end zone. Enough of this short kick crap. Nobody with good return units is going to fair catch that.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am

Going to be a game of field position, and Weber might have the best complete special teams unit in the conference.

Weber might have the only offense more toothless than ours, although at least we have a home run threat.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:42 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am
Going to be a game of field position, and Weber might have the best complete special teams unit in the conference.

Weber might have the only offense more toothless than ours, although at least we have a home run threat.
Davis is a HR threat for them. We better keep that guy corralled or we will be in for a long day.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 am

Weber is solid, but we can beat them if:

I. We can execute on O without any turnovers
II. Play great on special teams & kick FGs
III. Play inspired D

We went toe-to-toe with them last year in Bozeman, and Weber was a lot better team last year in my opinion.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:37 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
I'm really not sure we'll be able do too much other than hope TA breaks some big plays.
I said this in another thread. I think, how we win this is for our defense to keep them out of the end zone long enough to hit on a couple of TAs homerun plays. (Maybe one comes from Jonsen, but I think we need 2 of them).

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Weber allowed just 62 yards rushing on 36 carries to EWU last weekend!!! That is the scariest thing about this game IMO. EWU is a very good running team this year. If we're not able to run with at least some limited success, I don't know how we'll score any points. Our O-line, RBs, and TA have to find a way to move the ball a bit.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Is Travis Jonsen really that incapable of playing QB??? (as far as a backup) I don't get it?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:59 pm

By my count in the Choate era, this will be the 13th ranked team we've played in his 2.5 seasons. We are 1-11 in the first 12, with that win being on the road last year at North Dakota (who turned out to be not worthy of their ranking).

A couple things. This shouldn't be alarming, as we know when you have a coaching transition where the personnel is modified, it will take some time. Second, I think we all agree there has been an upgrade in talent. However, I don't think we have the depth in that talent to be anything more than we likely will be....a .500 team. No better case in point than playing an all BSC linebacker at QB, with two freshmen as the backup.

Let's hope this is lucky #13 against ranked teams and we can steal one in Ogden. It will make Pocatello the biggest game of the Choate era.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Weber is only averaging 249 yards/game, 120th out of 124 FCS teams. That is a low, low number. They have punted a staggering 43 times in six games. It feels like our offense has struggled all year yet we are 80/124 (359 yds/gm) and have only punted 27 times. Weber's D is ranked 32/124 at 352 yards/game, and we are at 70/124, 410 yards/game. Weber is +10 in turnover margin (20 forced, 10 given up, tied for 2nd/124). We are at -1 (weirdly we have not recovered a fumble all year).

We must be turnover free or at worst -1. If we do that I think we have a decent shot.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Seems like you never know which Weber team you're going to get. I'd expect we'll get the good one, but they gave up 28 to Northern Colorado, who had 372 yards or something like that. And it wasn't all in garbage time either--they were tied 21-21 at halftime. I'm sure they're good on D, but there must be some weakness, even if it's not being mentally prepared for a game like that one. UNC is generally a really bad rushing team but they did pretty well against Weber with 110 rushing yards. (Last week against PSU they had 16 yards.)

I fully expect an ugly game that will be frustrating to watch. A lot will probably depend on Padmos and how they choose to field his punts. EWU did a good job of running up and catching them before they had a chance to roll down-field. Of course there was no return, but it took away 20-30 yards of roll. Field position will be huge. There will probably be a handful of flukey pass plays for either team that will swing it one way or the other too. Obviously like any other game, you have to take care of the ball too.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Phat Daddy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:59 pm
By my count in the Choate era, this will be the 13th ranked team we've played in his 2.5 seasons. We are 1-11 in the first 12, with that win being on the road last year at North Dakota (who turned out to be not worthy of their ranking).

A couple things. This shouldn't be alarming, as we know when you have a coaching transition where the personnel is modified, it will take some time. Second, I think we all agree there has been an upgrade in talent. However, I don't think we have the depth in that talent to be anything more than we likely will be....a .500 team. No better case in point than playing an all BSC linebacker at QB, with two freshmen as the backup.

Let's hope this is lucky #13 against ranked teams and we can steal one in Ogden. It will make Pocatello the biggest game of the Choate era.
Wow that's not good. So neither griz team was ranked the last 2 years? Hard to believe a 7-3 griz team going into the Brawl wouldn't be ranked.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm
Phat Daddy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Wow that's not good. So neither griz team was ranked the last 2 years? Hard to believe a 7-3 griz team going into the Brawl wouldn't be ranked.
Yeah last year they were just outside the top 25, even at 7-3. The year before they were 6-4.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Weber allowed just 62 yards rushing on 36 carries to EWU last weekend!!! That is the scariest thing about this game IMO. EWU is a very good running team this year. If we're not able to run with at least some limited success, I don't know how we'll score any points. Our O-line, RBs, and TA have to find a way to move the ball a bit.
Weber just loaded up the box to make sure EWU couldn't run on them and forced them into a throwing game. Inexperienced QB, didn't work out for them. TA probably won't light it up through the air but I'd be willing to bet he does better than what the EWU QB did Saturday. He's going to have to.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!