Refs were the WORST

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Congrats

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:55 pm

clawman wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:41 pm
Congrats on pulling out a win over the Vandals.
I have to say the title of this thread seems to be a common one coming out of Bozeman. Why is it that the Bobcats are picked on so much more than other Big Sky schools?
Ya cuz it's statistically impossible for the same team to have uncalled holding penalties 2 games in a row...
It's science.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:10 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:55 pm
clawman wrote:
I have to say the title of this thread seems to be a common one coming out of Bozeman. Why is it that the Bobcats are picked on so much more than other Big Sky schools?
Ya cuz it's statistically impossible for the same team to have uncalled holding penalties 2 games in a row...
It's science.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Refs were the WORST

Post by 110010110 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm

I don't think the refs were biased in any way, but it's clear they had absolutely no idea what they were doing.

It should not take a five man conference a minute and a half to determine a forward pass that is deflected backwards is not a fumble.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Why is the Conference okay with this sub par officiating???

Every team and fanbase has been complaining about these morons for the last 15 years..... it is a fricking joke.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:28 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:48 pm
Regarding the penalty on the blocked punt:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping
ARTICLE 11. c. It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet in an attempt to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.

This is exactly what happened when our player tried to leap over the shield of blockers in front of the punter. Choate said at his press conference he knew it was a penalty immediately.
What really bothered me was that we did the EXACT same thing on the two previous Idaho punts but there was no flag. It looked like the ref was just waiting for the blocked punt to occur so he could throw the flag. We have heard about the egos of MLB umps taking control and dictating the course of the game. Maybe similar situation given the history of this crew???

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:28 pm
84CatGrad wrote:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping
ARTICLE 11. c. It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet in an attempt to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.

This is exactly what happened when our player tried to leap over the shield of blockers in front of the punter. Choate said at his press conference he knew it was a penalty immediately.
What really bothered me was that we did the EXACT same thing on the two previous Idaho punts but there was no flag. It looked like the ref was just waiting for the blocked punt to occur so he could throw the flag. We have heard about the egos of MLB umps taking control and dictating the course of the game. Maybe similar situation given the history of this crew???
This crew and the crew for the Eastern game are the ones I really groan about as soon as I see them. It's not just about the poor officiating either. Neither crew seems confident, and the referee seems lost when making his calls.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping

I thought the previous punts, he jumped in the air. The penalty was when he launched himself over them.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:55 pm
clawman wrote:
It's science.
No, fella, nobody's saying we got picked on. I never think a bsc crew is trying to screw someone, because they're not good enough to pull it off. We're saying that crew is s$@& at officiating football games. It was brutal, specifically the whitehat. Idaho probably has as many complaints as we do. I can think of 3 their way right off the top of my head. They didn't often know what they were calling after they threw the flag, and called at least 1 with no flag. Silly, amateur job.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am

It's just frustrating to see jerseys being pulled, often at the point of attack, with no whistles.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am
It's just frustrating to see jerseys being pulled, often at the point of attack, with no whistles.
Its probably one of the biggest impacts to our defense as they neutralize out biggest asset in our DLine. We have penetration from someone on nearly every play and they can't capitalize. I know sometimes they take bad angles and miss the play but how much of that is them trying to avoid being held?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 am

We have been plagued with BS ref crews in Bozeman for the past decade now. I'm not sure why this is, but it needs to end. And fast. Can we get Costello or someone else in the program on this problem? It's seriously been a damn joke.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm
I read that if the ball goes over the upright it’s not good by rule.
You have to imagine that the post goes up infinitely. If it had, it seemed pretty clear on TV that it would have hit the post. That's why there's always a referee standing right under the post--he's the only one in the place with a perfect view. Even the holder, who is looking right down the line of the kick, can't tell exactly where it crosses the post.

But I wouldn't put it past that crew to screw that up too.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

Cataholic wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping

Exactly. I was going to post this same thing. It happened 2 other times before that as well. Which also leads me back to coaching if coach Choate said he knew that was a foul when it happened. It obviously looks like they are letting the players or coaching them to do that?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am
Cataholic wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping

Exactly. I was going to post this same thing. It happened 2 other times before that as well. Which also leads me back to coaching if coach Choate said he knew that was a foul when it happened. It obviously looks like they are letting the players or coaching them to do that?
Did you listen to his post game? He said then the kid knew it and appoligized. To me that would be a small hint that it might have been coached

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:09 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am
Cataholic wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping

Did you listen to his post game? He said then the kid knew it and appoligized. To me that would be a small hint that it might have been coached
No I missed the post game. Either way it shouldn't happen 2-3 times in a game if it is a penalty (maybe they were told and the kid was just hyped up to make a play). That was a huge first down for them though. I guess we shouldn't see it anymore going forward.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 pm

110010110 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm
I don't think the refs were biased in any way, but it's clear they had absolutely no idea what they were doing.

It should not take a five man conference a minute and a half to determine a forward pass that is deflected backwards is not a fumble.
That's not true. By the end of the second quarter we were penalized 7 times compared to UI being flagged 1 time. It was way skewed in favor of the Vandals.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 pm
110010110 wrote:

That's not true. By the end of the second quarter we were penalized 7 times compared to UI being flagged 1 time. It was way skewed in favor of the Vandals.
Wow. And it went about that same way in the EWU game, but the refs evened it out late in the game when it was already over.

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:54 pm
Why is the Conference okay with this sub par officiating???

Every team and fanbase has been complaining about these morons for the last 15 years..... it is a fricking joke.
Who are you going to replace them with? Nearly every state is dealing with a major shortage of officials as no one wants to put up with the crazy crap they get from coaches, parents, players, etc. Sadly the pool of people willing/wanting to officiate is shrinking fast.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
110010110 wrote:

7-1 is skewed? 6-2? 5-3? At what point is it fair? A penalty is a penalty. Anybody that thinks comparing the number of penalties each team has is a good way to judge referee bias or incompetence is just looking for a reason to bash the officials.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 pm
TIrwin24 wrote:
110010110 wrote:

7-1 is skewed? 6-2? 5-3? At what point is it fair? A penalty is a penalty. Anybody that thinks comparing the number of penalties each team has is a good way to judge referee bias or incompetence is just looking for a reason to bash the officials.
You have a point that penalties are penalties. However, they do tend to even out a bit (even tho 1 team will usually have more than the other). 7 to 1 is pretty lopsided.
Same thing in basketball, with fouls. One team will always have more fouls than the other in a given game, but they tend to be fairly close. If one team gets called for 20 fouls and the other has 4, something is amiss.