Refs were the WORST

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Refs were the WORST

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Kassis needs to learn how to flop like a UM Punter.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:01 pm
Fa'anono was being held virtually every pass play. He owned the Idaho RT all game long and I don't think he drew a single holding call.

Sterk got held several times I saw, they did throw 1 flag for holding when Sterk was taken down to the ground. I guess that's what it takes for a flag.
And Yates was getting held virtually every play as well. Very poor job by the refs. This crew should be subject to some type of follow up review after being suspended earlier in the year.

And on the blocked punt, Sullivan had done the exact same thing with no flag throw on earlier punts. Is not a penalty then, but only when the kick is blocked? The ref looked like he was just waiting for it to happen.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:01 pm
Fa'anono was being held virtually every pass play. He owned the Idaho RT all game long and I don't think he drew a single holding call.

Sterk got held several times I saw, they did throw 1 flag for holding when Sterk was taken down to the ground. I guess that's what it takes for a flag.
And Yates was getting held virtually every play as well. Very poor job by the refs. This crew should be subject to some type of follow up review after being suspended earlier in the year.

And on the blocked punt, Sullivan had done the exact same thing with no flag throw on earlier punts. Is not a penalty then, but only when the kick is blocked? The ref looked like he was just waiting for it to happen.
I liked when Sterk oléd the tackle and then the tackle proceeded to chase Sterk pushing him from behind the whole time.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 am

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am

Rewatching the game on DVR today. Wanted to see those "defensive delay of game" calls.

First call was probably legit - the call was "delay of game - disconcerting signals" so our D must have been trying to disrupt Petrino's signals.

Second call was total BS, and Choate let the refs have it. Our D line got set, then did that side shift that we do almost every play. Idaho's RG or RT jumped, and then somebody on our Dline jumped after that. THIS SHOULD BE A PENALTY ON THE OFFENSE! But they called defensive delay of game again! Ridiculous.

Worst call of the game - 2nd quarter with about 7:40 left, Idaho has the ball on 3rd down. Petrino drops back to throw, Fa'anono beats the LT badly, and the LT grabs Fa'anono's jersey with both hands. Tyrone is literally dragging the LT towards the QB, and gets a small hit on the QB just after he throws the ball. Flag comes out, but not for holding - for roughing the passer!!! Absolutely disgusting. Any of you who have the game recorded, watch this play back and look at the holding on #57 that was not called. It will make you sick. (BTW - the pass was incomplete, Idaho should've punted. Instead they were given a first down, and ended up scoring a TD on that drive).

Game is being replayed today at 11am on channel 674 on DirectTv. I think you need Sports pack to get that channel.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am

Worst call of the game - 2nd quarter with about 7:40 left, Idaho has the ball on 3rd down. Petrino drops back to throw, Fa'anono beats the LT badly, and the LT grabs Fa'anono's jersey with both hands. Tyrone is literally dragging the LT towards the QB, and gets a small hit on the QB just after he throws the ball. Flag comes out, but not for holding - for roughing the passer!!! Absolutely disgusting. Any of you who have the game recorded, watch this play back and look at the holding on #57 that was not called. It will make you sick. (BTW - the pass was incomplete, Idaho should've punted. Instead they were given a first down, and ended up scoring a TD on that drive).

Game is being replayed today at 11am on channel 674 on DirectTv. I think you need Sports pack to get that channel.
Small correction - Idaho did complete a pass for a first down on the play on which MSU got called for roughing the passer. Idaho did appear to have some pretty egregious holding calls that were missed with the referee standing right there looking at it, but then again we as fans are always looking more closely for those penalties when our team is on defense than when they're on offense.

It's surprising to me that if this is the ref crew that were suspended a couple weeks ago, that the Big Sky would have assigned them to its regionally televised game of the week. The PSU/UNC game would've seemed a better option, as that's a game between two teams already out of the playoff hunt. Not a great advertisement for your conference's product to put the worst crew in the league on TV for all to see.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 am

Read back through SkyLineSports' tweets - they had several tweets mentioning some of these calls.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:00 am

Every team is holding like there is no manyana(us as well) because the refs are simply not calling them. It's crazy. Unless someone goes to the ground its not getting called.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:53 am

Is there a formal complaint process that the coaches can file? Petrino wasn't impressed as well.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:27 am

I thought you were allowed to grab the jersey of the defensive player if you are straight on blocking but can't hang on if the defensive player gets around the offensive player? Thought this was mentioned in another thread in the last several weeks. This is a new one to me if true.

Having said that I saw one hold where Sterk was running away for the oline and his jersey is stretched out behind him. Refs were letting them hold.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 am

First of all I was in the end zone and the PAT was definitely a miss, though yes, it was close. But it was wide left.

I have no idea why the blocked punt returned for a TD was called back. Our guy jumped straight up to block the punt
and the Idaho player basically thew him up and over.

I really thought the refs were very bad.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:39 am

bobcat92 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:27 am
I thought you were allowed to grab the jersey of the defensive player if you are straight on blocking but can't hang on if the defensive player gets around the offensive player? Thought this was mentioned in another thread in the last several weeks. This is a new one to me if true.

Having said that I saw one hold where Sterk was running away for the oline and his jersey is stretched out behind him. Refs were letting them hold.
That's not an official rule, but yes, generally if your hands are inside then they won't call you for holding. If the hands get outside, or the defender beats you to the side and you don't release your grip, they are supposed to call it. Unfortunately they didn't yesterday, or in the EWU game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm

I read that if the ball goes over the upright it’s not good by rule.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm
The ball has to be completely in,so I think holding is a sin where you can cut off their hands with your light saber.. unfortunately that rule has as much chance of passing,as lousy ref threads have of changing the officiating

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Regarding the penalty on the blocked punt:

NEW RULE 8:
Rule 9-1-11-c
Leaping
ARTICLE 11. c. It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet in an attempt to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.

This is exactly what happened when our player tried to leap over the shield of blockers in front of the punter. Choate said at his press conference he knew it was a penalty immediately.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:51 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm
The ball has to be completely in,so I think holding is a sin where you can cut off their hands with your light saber.. unfortunately that rule has as much chance of passing,as lousy ref threads have of changing the officiating
LOL

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Congrats

Post by clawman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Congrats on pulling out a win over the Vandals.
I have to say the title of this thread seems to be a common one coming out of Bozeman. Why is it that the Bobcats are picked on so much more than other Big Sky schools?

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Congrats

Post by AFCAT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:46 pm

clawman wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:41 pm
I have to say the title of this thread seems to be a common one coming out of Bozeman. Why is it that the Bobcats are picked on so much more than other Big Sky schools?
Yeah, other fans never complain about the Refs. :roll:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:59 pm

clawman wrote:
Would love to see you show us a comment where a BOBCAT fan has stated we are the only team the refs throw a flag on. Pretty much 100% we feel like the officials stink at any venue for all teams!!!
Thanks for your time here. Now go back to egriz.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 pm

clawman wrote:
Here’s something fun. But you have to go to your eagles board which I know is rough. And I’m aware only about 10 people post there but it’s still interesting. Go to the football board and simply type “refs” into the search engine. There you’ll find almost 300 posts of your fans doing the EXACT same thing....whining about inept officiating.

To be fair, I don’t know why people bother complaining about the big sky refs. They’re bad. But they’ve always been bad. And they’re so good at being bad....they’re actually pretty consistent at being bad for all teams equally....