MSU offers Gresch Jensen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU offers Gresch Jensen

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am
technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am
Jensen would be a great addition but I'm pretty comfortable next year that one of the freshman/Rovig will be ready to go if he chooses not to come. I really like what I've seen/heard from Beltran and think he could be the dark horse. Don't we have another big time QB recruit next year as well?
I will say it again, and again, and again.

Rovig could not beat out a player that is the same age as him, that switched over from RB/LB. I don’t expect that he will ever start here barring injury, and I don’t get why people think he will.
He was slated to start against Idaho before he injured his foot in practice. Coaching staff was comfortable with his command of the offense and ready to get Troy back to RB/LB. Terribly unlucky for Tucker.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am

bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Jensen would be a great addition but I'm pretty comfortable next year that one of the freshman/Rovig will be ready to go if he chooses not to come. I really like what I've seen/heard from Beltran and think he could be the dark horse. Don't we have another big time QB recruit next year as well?

Rovig could not beat out a player that is the same age as him, that switched over from RB/LB. I don’t expect that he will ever start here barring injury, and I don’t get why people think he will.
Agree 100%

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 am
If Jensen hasn't accepted it by now, he's only lukewarm on us and is holding out for what he believes will be a better offer. He runs the risk of us yanking the offer and then both sides lose.
He's doing exactly what he should be doing. This isn't his first go around with the recruiting dance floor. In fact because he's been through the process one time before he's more knowledgeable and should know what he is looking for in a program and which coaches/programs are blowing smoke and who's legit. Some JC guys won't commit or even hold an offer until after the new year. If he wants to get acclimated to a new program and play spring ball committing and signing during the early period is his best bet.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am
bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:

He was slated to start against Idaho before he injured his foot in practice. Coaching staff was comfortable with his command of the offense and ready to get Troy back to RB/LB. Terribly unlucky for Tucker.
I’ll believe you, but from what I’ve seen of his play, I have no trust in him.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 am
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Wow. No trust in him? He at the very least has been the backup to Andersen and, if you trust the coaching staff's judgement, you should at least be comfortable with him in that role

What has the kid done to give you NO confidence in him? Kid's essentially played in two college games in his career.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm

When did the career of a QB get decided when he is a freshman? Are we so spoiled now that if a freshman QB doesn't light the world on fire, his career is over?

I think Rovig would've had a good day against Idaho's defense, although the conditions may have dictated that. That's what the coaches wanted.

I also think Rovig will very much be in the competition in spring and fall.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 am
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Wow. No trust in him? He at the very least has been the backup to Andersen and, if you trust the coaching staff's judgement, you should at least be comfortable with him in that role

What has the kid done to give you NO confidence in him? Kid's essentially played in two college games in his career.
Should have clarified that further.

I have no trust in him as a starter in this current time. Obviously he’s hurt now, but I meant even if healthy. He’s fine for a backup.

Can he improve? Certainly. His mental processing has to be sped up. From what I’ve seen and read, I’m a little skeptical that it would, but that’s just my opinion.

I’ve detailed the parts of his game that I don’t like elsewhere and I don’t feel like going over it again.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm
When did the career of a QB get decided when he is a freshman? Are we so spoiled now that if a freshman QB doesn't light the world on fire, his career is over?

I think Rovig would've had a good day against Idaho's defense, although the conditions may have dictated that. That's what the coaches wanted.

I also think Rovig will very much be in the competition in spring and fall.
Tbh, any decent passing QB should have a good day against Idaho.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I'd say we lose 2 or 3 QB's a year... Either to injury, transfer or playing a new position....
We bring in 4 or 5 a year when you count the ones that sign for other positions so I'd say we are right on track.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Jensen was 20-33 for 277 yards, 1 TD 1 INT, with 8 rushes for 69 yards and 2 TDs on the ground.

Bringing his season to:

117-198 (59.1%) for 1710 yards (244.3 YPG, 8.6 YPA) 12 TDs, 4 INTs, 7 sacks, 222 rushing yards and 5 TDs on 42 carries. Rating 147.6. I realize these stats are JC and in no way whatsoever would translate into the Big Sky but that rating would put him at 4th in the Big Sky, the completion % would be 4th as well.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:07 am

Worst case, we can make him a receiver.

Punters are people too!!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 am

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up, but my Twitter stalking proves otherwise. He picked up another offer, don't think it is anything to worry about yet.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:00 am

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 am
I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up, but my Twitter stalking proves otherwise. He picked up another offer, don't think it is anything to worry about yet.

I’m not to worried about losing him to Albany but what do I know

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am

Well he may not want to come back into the Big Sky and deal with all of the headlines and drama that would ensue.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am

The kid is going to get a bunch of offers when it’s all said and done. I’m hearing WSU and a couple other FBS programs are taking a hard look at him too. He will have a lot of opportunities for sure.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am
The kid is going to get a bunch of offers when it’s all said and done. I’m hearing WSU and a couple other FBS programs are taking a hard look at him too. He will have a lot of opportunities for sure.
So we've all heard rumors about his situation at UM, but does anyone really know why he left? Was he just not "Bobby's guy", and therefore he figured that it would always be sort of an uphill battle for him to ever reclaim the starting job? Or was there more to it than just that?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

John K wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
So we've all heard rumors about his situation at UM, but does anyone really know why he left? Was he just not "Bobby's guy", and therefore he figured that it would always be sort of an uphill battle for him to ever reclaim the starting job? Or was there more to it than just that?
Griz fans will tell you that he wimped out of competing for the QB job with Sneed, and felt entitled to it. Of course, they have an interest in protecting their brand, and their new coach. So I doubt that's what actually happened, or at least is not the whole truth.
I'd also love to know the whole truth.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:51 pm

What is the truth? What’s one persons truth may not be the others.

Maybe one side felt they weren’t getting a fair chance. Maybe one side felt the other wasn’t willing to compete? Two sides, two stories. I would imagine, like most things, the “truth” is somewhere in the middle.

But I really don’t care. Bring me the man who left UM, and let us beat them with him for all of the outrage and grief that will come. Let it happen for the drama!

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm
John K wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Griz fans will tell you that he wimped out of competing for the QB job with Sneed, and felt entitled to it. Of course, they have an interest in protecting their brand, and their new coach. So I doubt that's what actually happened, or at least is not the whole truth.
I'd also love to know the whole truth.
I would say about half of Griz fans aren't tuned in enough to know, a quarter would say what you suggest, and a quarter would say Gresch got a raw deal. Truth is probably somewhere in between, but the topic has been (and still is) discussed to death at egriz.

The absolutely last thing I want is for Gresch to end up as a cat. I think he would be a great get for you guys. He can play in the Big Sky, look what he did as a freshman? His critics would suggest it was the system, he didn't beat the good teams, etc. I just know that he completed 60% of his passes, averaged over 8 yards per attempt, threw 20 TDs and ran for six more. As a freshman, that is great.

As for what happened, no one knows for sure but here is my opinion, which I have shared on egriz. Bobby does not like stars, he doesn't want anyone to get too high. There was a Skyline article before spring camp where Jensen spoke as if he assumed he was the starter. (I would say that was a fair assumption, but whatever). It wasn't boastful, he just talked about building on year two with a new coach. Well, camp opens and Hacuk's transfer recruit who he has a relationship with gets the #1 snaps. I caught most spring practices, and throughout camp Jensen never got the #1 snaps. The rotated the skill players through them, but Sneed was always with the #1 OLine and Jensen was always with the #2 OLine. The narrative from some who feel Jensen straight up quit on the team is that they both got a fair shot at competing in spring. For any of you who have watched us play this season, you should understand that a competition would not be even with one QB playing exclusively behind the #1 OLine and one exclusively playing behind the #2 OLine. Even in the spring game that many point to as Sneed clearly being better, the possessions where Jensen actually played behind the first string OLine he looked great. So my take is that Bobby wanted to mentally toughen him up, and they overplayed it. The story I was told was the coach Pease started to recognize what was happening, but Bobby and Rosey weren't as concerned. He is gone, and it is what it is, but I do not believe it is as simple as saying Jensen quit on the Griz. I think he saw a situation that didn't appear to be even because it wasn't, and he made a personal decisions.

We did a podcast on this way back when he left: http://www.montana-mint.com/2018/04/25/ ... -grizcast/

Wouldn't think most of you listed to our podcast, haha. Can't say I blame you there. We do love Troy Andersen though, and think he should be playing linebacker!

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks for a very honest opinion. My guess is that you are right on that Bobby pushed it too far and it backfired. I, for one, would love to get Gresch as a Bobcat. I was very impressed with him last year.