MSU offers Gresch Jensen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU offers Gresch Jensen

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:58 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm
iaafan wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:10 pm
He’s 97-165-3, 1,433 yards 11tds 150 rating
Those are good numbers, but I don’t see him making it at a top 50 program. He’s not as athletic as Prukop and I don’t recall him having any intangibles that would put him in the sights of an upper tier team. His completion pct is average as is his TD rate. Numbers are very consistent with what he had at UM.
That completion percentage would put him at #2 in the BSC. #2 in yards (ahead of Gubrud). #3 in passer rating. Not so sure when that became “average.”

If the Cats had him under center & let Troy play a position where Troy was even “average”, we’d be a near lock for the playoffs.
This x 1,000,000. Just to have the ability to throw the ball down field and use our WR's. Jensen is a stud and would be huge addition.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:36 pm
He wants to play in the Big Sky. He will for sure be a cat unless he gets a better offer. And we will be MUCH better for it. He’s way better than Snead
Scoop me with your details kind sir.

Im having a hellova time with the pm’s on my phone. Did you get one?
lol no, but it’s no biggie.

Hope you’re doing well, my man.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 am

If we land GJ, I say we save him for only one game each year😁

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 am

Cledus wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:55 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:32 pm
Why would we offer Jensen when we have Andersen? If you don’t believe he’s the best quarterback on the team, ask utucats. He’ll tell you all about it.

There’s no quarterback issue. It’s been solved.
Is Jensen going to play this year? I hope that next year we have as many options as possible and that the team puts the appropriate personnel where they fit best to give us the best chance to win. We did that with this year’s group and Andersen won. If next season we have a better option then let’s move TA somewhere else. I’ll trust the coaches judgement as long as we continue to improve.
Why would he not be the best player next year also? He'll still be better than everyone he beat out this year, right? He'll also have more reps under his belt than anyone who could challenge him. It sounds like you're trying to get out of the corner you've painted yourself in.
utucats wrote:I’ll trust the coaches judgement as long as we continue to improve.
Just like Ash turning around the defense, right? I'm seeing a little bit of improvement, but not anything near what was implied. I'm not sure what you're seeing.
Trying to get out of the corner I’ve painted myself into? You are nuts. What is the corner? Cat fan, Choate fan, Andersen fan?

Our starting QB can’t pass his classes and the coaches had to make some tough decisions. They chose to start a kid who is a beast and we’ve gone 3-1 in the games he’s started. It isn’t pretty and our offense probably would be better if Murray would have manned up and taken care of his responsibilities but he didn’t.

Our defense is good and has kept us in a lot of games and TA is a touchdown waiting to happen at all times. We are getting better and I’m enjoying watching it. If you’d like to sit around and cry after every W go ahead but I actually like the Cats so I’m gonna take a different approach.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am

I hope we stay aggressive with him. Seems like a great way to round out a young offense. Also when we pursue a recruit, Coach and staff usually get what they want. I really enjoy watching Troy play at all positions, but for us to be a top 4 team in the national polls, we desperately need a Gresch Jensen type QB. Troy will continue to be an MVP candidate at LB/RB. I thought GJ was impressive in dark pink.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am
I hope we stay aggressive with him. Seems like a great way to round out a young offense. Also when we pursue a recruit, Coach and staff usually get what they want. I really enjoy watching Troy play at all positions, but for us to be a top 4 team in the national polls, we desperately need a Gresch Jensen type QB. Troy will continue to be an MVP candidate at LB/RB. I thought GJ was impressive in dark pink.
Yes, this x100. Andersen is doing pretty well at what he's being asked to do, and it may even get us into the playoffs, but if you put gresch jensen under center on this team, we'd be a fringe top-10 outfit IMO. Really would love this move, as it takes pressure off Bauman to develop quickly. Hope the staff can lock him down!

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 am
superbobcat wrote:
Yes, this x100. Andersen is doing pretty well at what he's being asked to do, and it may even get us into the playoffs, but if you put gresch jensen under center on this team, we'd be a fringe top-10 outfit IMO. Really would love this move, as it takes pressure off Bauman to develop quickly. Hope the staff can lock him down!
Do you think Choate and staff really want him, like will actively pursue him? Or is this more the fact the former UM QB is on the market and if we can nab him, we nab him? Basically, is Choate satisfied with the number, quality and talents of the QBs he has on the roster right now, or is he actively hunting for someone "better" than what he has?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 am

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Do you think Choate and staff really want him, like will actively pursue him? Or is this more the fact the former UM QB is on the market and if we can nab him, we nab him? Basically, is Choate satisfied with the number, quality and talents of the QBs he has on the roster right now, or is he actively hunting for someone "better" than what he has?
After what I heard this weekend, they will actively pursue him and there is a real chance he comes here for his final two years.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 am
KittieKop wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
After what I heard this weekend, they will actively pursue him and there is a real chance he comes here for his final two years.
I have heard the exact same thing. I would be very happy if he chose to come to MSU.
I think he is a very good QB. He is a mobile QB who can pass well. His running threat is real, and his passing is good. It would also allow us to move Troy to a more natural position (RB and/or LB). We then get better at 2+ positions.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 am

KittieKop wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
No insider knowledge like vim and others, but my guess, and that's all it is, is that they're not confident that bauman will be ready to lead what could be a top 10 team next year. Perhaps they know that Murray will not make it back, where we can only guess at that. But if you were to time it out, and assume bauman is ultimately our qb, he'd sit behind GJ for 2 years, then start his final 2. Only a guess, but makes sense in my head.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am

If you have the opportunity to bring in a guy like Jensen, you do it. Then Bauman (or somebody else) can get some seasoning. Better for everybody.

The fact that he’s a former Grizzly who left because he didn’t like Hauck? Well that’s just the cherry on top.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 am

I agree, Coach Choate doesn't impress me as the type who plays games with SCHOLARSHIP offers. If he offered it, he means it and values the talent available. I think the QB position has been the one position that we have not been able develop the way Coach wanted. He inherited Murray, built the offense around his abilities, recruited Rovig and that plan has been luke warm at best, lost Murray, recruited Jonsen and quickly found he had another Murray but he could move to WR, turned to his best athlete who had QB abilities, 4.0 gpa, and large amounts of respect from the players, planned on developing the young Bauman, and now with a talent like Gresh out there, sees that the puzzle would be complete and we can really make a big strides as an offensive. Remember what Coach first said, Year 1- try to survive Year 2- Steal a few wins YEAR 3- WIN UGLY Year 4- Win Big; it has all been true so far. Gresh would allow us to win big. And yes, "The fact that he’s a former Grizzly who left because he didn’t like Hauck? Well that’s just the cherry on top." is just one of the many benefits. BELIEVE IN THE PROCESS BOBCATS!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 am

If Jensen hasn't accepted it by now, he's only lukewarm on us and is holding out for what he believes will be a better offer. He runs the risk of us yanking the offer and then both sides lose.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am

Jensen would be a great addition but I'm pretty comfortable next year that one of the freshman/Rovig will be ready to go if he chooses not to come. I really like what I've seen/heard from Beltran and think he could be the dark horse. Don't we have another big time QB recruit next year as well?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am
Jensen would be a great addition but I'm pretty comfortable next year that one of the freshman/Rovig will be ready to go if he chooses not to come. I really like what I've seen/heard from Beltran and think he could be the dark horse. Don't we have another big time QB recruit next year as well?
EDIT: I just wanted to add a thought I had been having. I don't know about others but for some reason it just feels wrong/odd for MSU to be thinking of starting a Junion(Jensen) and then planning to start with another Junior(Bauman) 2 years later. Seems like we have been playing freshman/sophomores through their whole careers constantly here and really gotten away from letting them mature on the bench.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 am

What are you talking about, in a perfect world you only start a QB as early as a redshirt sophomore in my opinion. Bringing in a seasoned guy like Jensen, who had a good year in this league already, can only help.

But I imagine someone leaves if Jensen comes on board.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:36 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 am
What are you talking about, in a perfect world you only start a QB as early as a redshirt sophomore in my opinion. Bringing in a seasoned guy like Jensen, who had a good year in this league already, can only help.

But I imagine someone leaves if Jensen comes on board.
That is my point but MSU has gone to the underclassman well for 3 great QBs and a extremely exciting one over the last 16 years and I'm just saying that "in my head" it feels weird to actually be talking about getting back to what should be the norm.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 am
If Jensen hasn't accepted it by now, he's only lukewarm on us and is holding out for what he believes will be a better offer. He runs the risk of us yanking the offer and then both sides lose.
Of course he wants a better offer. Wouldn’t want him if he didn’t. There is nothing wrong with waiting on a Power-5 offer.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am
I will say it again, and again, and again.

Rovig could not beat out a player that is the same age as him, that switched over from RB/LB. I don’t expect that he will ever start here barring injury, and I don’t get why people think he will.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:02 am

Hauck's an idiot for letting Jensen go. If we can get him, we should.