Secondary

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Secondary

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:05 am

Well it's gone a little quiet around here, so I figure we could discuss positions more in-depth than just a few mentions here or there in the mega fall camp thread.

I think this will be the best secondary we've had in a while. If it wasn't for the addition of Sterk,Sparaco, James Williams and even a healthy Fa'anono, the secondary would be the group I'm most excited about. As it stands I'm really excited to see what we can do along the DL, but part of that excitement stems from our secondary. It appears we are going to run a lot more man coverage this year.

We finally have some size on the back end end, and some serious swagger (more on that later). We have depth which is leading to competition which will only elevate the play.

It will be hard to replace McCabe but McCabe's strength was run support and tackling. He was an above average open field tackler but his strength was closer to the box. Konkol brings those same traits but is better in the open field, and his size alone will create problems for opposing QBs. Konkol was great in coverage last year at the LB spot and he is such a cerebral player I love the move back to S. Plus he certainly has an attitude about him.

Whoever wins out between Hendersen and Alleyne gives us another tall, rangy, fluid athlete in the secondary. I really liked what I saw of Hendersen last year, it was the first time since 2014, maybe 2013, where I actually had faith that our deepest S would make a play, make the tackle. If Alleyne can beat out Hendersen, he would have to be pretty good as well.

Thomas and Cole, the Thundercats, have already shown what they can do. Thomas is already etched into Bobcat lore with his pass break up at the end of Cat/Griz last year, and Choate said he was the best cover guy they had by the end of the year. I think Thomas has his spot sewn up, but as I understand it Cole is battling with veteran Damien Washington for that other starting spot, although we'll be playing plenty of Nickel this year. Washington has the size, is probably the most consistent guy in the group but isn't what I'd consider a playmaker. It feels like Washington has been here a long time, but he's only a junior, but he is the elder statesmen already.

Thomas and Cole play much bigger than their size, but Choate went out and recruited some actual size, with Greg Filer (6' 170), and the Gibson twins (6' 165). From all accounts the Gibson twins likely won't redshirt and will see plenty of action this year, and I haven't heard much about Filer's camp performance, just what he brings to the table, the scheme he's played in the past, etc. He is another man-cover, press-coverage type guy.

Competition seems to be the theme of this camp across all positions. Choate is on record saying that the last few years, he's had guys be the starter by default, because there wasn't anyone else to push him. I think the only two spots really locked up are Konkol and Thomas. It's been a great battle at CB between Cole, Washington, the Gibson twins and Filer, and the other S spot between Hendersen Alleyne, but I've even heard good things about Keaton Andersen, Shawn Borges and Lukey May.

My only concern, and a coach alluded to it in an interview, not sure it was Choate, but that there might be too many alphas back there. There is a lot of attitude, a lot of trash talking, and I hope things don't bubble over on the field when something goes wrong.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Secondary

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am

In case you missed these:

Young, aggressive cornerbacks help diversify Bobcat defense
https://skylinesportsmt.com/young-aggre ... t-defense/

VA Tech transfer Alleyne brings humility, versatility to MSU secondary
https://skylinesportsmt.com/va-tech-tra ... secondary/

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:32 am

Great stuff CC thank you!

I'm really liking this group this season too. Would love to see us turn the other team over regularly.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 am

There's a real possibility this group scores several times this year. Yes, they might get burned a few times but I love watching the defense create turnovers and score off them. Has anyone been to enough practices to report as to how far along the defense is with the blocking off of turnovers? I know, it usually isn't put in until the fourth or fifth game of the year however I think this is a pretty good group of athletes. Just curious.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:36 pm

There is a great article in the Bozeman Chronicle about all the "barking dogs" in the secondary. Coach Orhpey is encouraging/requiring it.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 pm

When the defense lines up for the first time against Western Illinois, we will most likely see Henderson and Allen manning the safety positions and Konkel back at linebacker. Just sayin'.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:25 pm

083190 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 pm
When the defense lines up for the first time against Western Illinois, we will most likely see Henderson and Allen manning the safety positions and Konkel back at linebacker. Just sayin'.
Yeah I've thought this as well. No reason why Alleyne can't be a guy in the box and Jojo play free. Konkol has already proven he can be a guy at Will linebacker so guys like Chad Kanow and Tadan Gilman aren't thrust into action. Get the best players on the field!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:25 pm
083190 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 pm
Yeah I've thought this as well. No reason why Alleyne can't be a guy in the box and Jojo play free. Konkol has already proven he can be a guy at Will linebacker so guys like Chad Kanow and Tadan Gilman aren't thrust into action. Get the best players on the field!
Kanow/Giman, Alleyne and Konkol > Konkol, Henderson and Alleyne.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber