Saturday scrimmage reports

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Saturday scrimmage reports

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 pm

If anyone has info, this would be a great place for you to post it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Saturday scrimmage reports

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:15 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Dang I would have thought that by now some information would be out.

Bueller.....Bueller….. Anyone?

edit: never mind thanks Jay

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Can someone please post the cliffs notes for those of us unable to listen at this time? Especially the QB depth chart.
Thanks!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Can someone please post the cliffs notes for those of us unable to listen at this time? Especially the QB depth chart.
Thanks!
Troy and Travis ran with the 1s and both lead 80 yard scoring drives. Multiple times, Andersen and Jonsen were on the field at the same time whether it was Troy at RB with Jonsen at QB or Troy at QB with Jonsen at WR. Rovig ran with the 2s. Bauman ran with the 3s while Beltran ran the 4s. Choate felt the defense played sloppy and lacked energy but did some good things in the red zone. Choate also said it was the usual scrimmage thing where the defensive line flushed the QB a lot and would have likely had several sacks but Troy and Travis had red jerseys on.

Connor Wood slid into RT and Lewis Kidd into RG. Zach Redd is still in the mix at either center or right guard. All about finding the best five. Choate felt Ifanse played really well and is making a push at RB.

Per Choate, Konkol was held out because he is the presumed starter at SS. They wanted to get a look at some other kids with the 1st group. Alleyne and Henderson ran with the 1s while Luke May also saw some action replacing Konkol.

Overall, will use this next week to set the depth chart then have a live scrimmage next Saturday. Then its prep week for Western Illinois. Sounds like Travis and Troy are going to be the guys.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Here are the stats. Remember, Jonsen and Anderson split reps with the 1s. Rovig ran 2s, Bauman ran 3s, and Beltran ran 4s. They ran about 80 plays so each QB got around 16-20 plays depending on length of drive, etc.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Travis and Troy were the only QBs to wear the red no-contact jerseys. The other three were live.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:38 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:45 pm

They wanted to get a look at the entire roster during this scrimmage so they can set an official depth chart this week. Looks like everyone got a fair amount of work. One big takeaway: Bob Cole has done a fantastic job of ingraining the idea of "taking what the defense gives you" into these QBs. If it isn't there, take the check down and move on to the next play. The two touchdown drives Choate said were around 13-play, 80-yard drives. Anyway, keep in mind that Murray's biggest struggle as a passer (in my opinion) was just being able to take the check down...and even complete it. In Chris' defense, I think the offense has morphed into making it easier on the QBs to execute a check down with a simple RB angle route out of the backfield instead of the RB running vertical and throwing it to him 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Troy, Travis and Tucker played with the ones and twos today. Bauman and Beltran with the threes and fours. Troy is clearly the number one qb. That was evident today. Troy has those intangible leadership qualities and is actually an excellent passer. Rovig showed a lot today. I thought he did good to solidify #2. Jonsen looks like he will also see time in certain situations and more so as a receiver. Bauman playing with the 3's and 4's did not get much protection so it was hard to make an evaluation. Thought he did good considering that. He is going to be the future of this program. Don't forget, last year he was starting his senior year in HS. If he had reps. with the ones, I think he would have shown better. My thinking is they want to give him more time to get totally acclimated. This guy has all the skills. Beltran is a scrappy kid that doesn't make mistakes. He can make all the throws. Didn't get much of a chance like Bauman playing with the threes and fours. Don't count his young man out down the road though.

I thought we were way ahead of last year on offense and defense. I think this was the 9th practice in a row so there is some weariness, especially with the heat today. I like the balance on offense and the depth and speed on defense. Keep in mind, our offense was probably going against the number one defense in the conference this year.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:48 pm

So like 260 yards of total offense? So either your defense is very legit or your offense has a long ways to go. Usually the defense is way ahead early in camp so that makes sense. I do think you’ll have a good defense again.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:48 pm
So like 260 yards of total offense? So either your defense is very legit or your offense has a long ways to go. Usually the defense is way ahead early in camp so that makes sense. I do think you’ll have a good defense again.
Again, keep in mind the 1s only played about 25-30% of the snaps today.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Yes that would factor in, too. Playing in 95 degree heat couldn’t be fun either.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Yes that would factor in, too. Playing in 95 degree heat couldn’t be fun either.
Final thing: scrimmages aren't games. Every kid who dressed today played snaps so take yards gained, yards not gained, how many passes thrown or not thrown, who caught the most passes, who had the most passing/rushing/receiving yards, etc. with a grain of salt.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm

So Travis and Troy will both be on the field at the same time. That's got to have the OC sitting up all night drawing up plays.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm
So Travis and Troy will both be on the field at the same time. That's got to have the OC sitting up all night drawing up plays.
Based on what Choate said, it was a handful for the defense to stop.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Natee, the young running backs and receivers who can catch a football or go get it...ought to be a lot of fun for the kids this year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Natee, the young running backs and receivers who can catch a football or go get it...ought to be a lot of fun for the kids this year.
Yup. When Karl Tucker gets back into the mix (out most of the week with a tweaked hammy), he will add a fun dimension to the passing game out of the backfield.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:29 pm