Saturday scrimmage reports

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Saturday scrimmage reports

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:57 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:21 pm
I've "heard" some great news about several aspects of this year's football team and program. Make certain you're listening to announcements during the Western Illinois game. Unbelievable to me and I thought I wouldn't live to see it all happen...no wonder we have the type of kids commiting to MSU football we have now...
? =P~
I'm assuming this is the stadium expansion?

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:08 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:42 pm
autocat wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:18 am
For all the former all conference late night fantasy football league arm chair offensive coordinators, Troy Andersen was 10-16 passing :wink:
9.6 YPC, and 6.0 YPA with an INT is not a good stat line. And he missed easy passes. Can’t just go by the box score.

:wink:
The stat line was pretty good when he was live haha.

But seriously, he was visibly a different kid when the penny went off. Even in the way he walked and carried himself the confidence was palpable. The early whistles were total garbage earlier in the scrimmage, but I understand why they are necessary. The refs don't want Choate in their grill if our best player gets hurt. It became painfully obvious how the D took advantage of the fact...knowing they could simply tag Andersen for a whistle. When the penny went off, the passing lanes opened up immediately because they had to actually respect the run.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 pm
Darth Yoda wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
I've "heard" some great news about several aspects of this year's football team and program. Make certain you're listening to announcements during the Western Illinois game. Unbelievable to me and I thought I wouldn't live to see it all happen...no wonder we have the type of kids commiting to MSU football we have now...
? =P~
Pretty good guess.

All the recent recruit commitment articles have had the recruits say something about how excited they are for what we’re going to be doing with the stadium.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:08 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:42 pm
autocat wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:18 am
For all the former all conference late night fantasy football league arm chair offensive coordinators, Troy Andersen was 10-16 passing :wink:
9.6 YPC, and 6.0 YPA with an INT is not a good stat line. And he missed easy passes. Can’t just go by the box score.

:wink:
The stat line was pretty good when he was live haha.

But seriously, he was visibly a different kid when the penny went off. Even in the way he walked and carried himself the confidence was palpable. The early whistles were total garbage earlier in the scrimmage, but I understand why they are necessary. The refs don't want Choate in their grill if our best player gets hurt. It became painfully obvious how the D took advantage of the fact...knowing they could simply tag Andersen for a whistle. When the penny went off, the passing lanes opened up immediately because they had to actually respect the run.
It also opens up holes for the running backs. Linebackers have to make a decision if they are going to pursue the RB or the QB. If the QB is in a red jersey then that doesn't put that pressure on the D.

Last year much of Lasane's success was due to linebackers being out of position because they were over perusing Chris.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
? =P~
I heard it was possibly a new sideline reporter!?!?!?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
I'm guessing my monthly monetary donations have finally put them over he top for the stadium improvements. :thumbup:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
? =P~
So I was in Bozeman this weekend (for a wedding, didn’t get to catch the scrimmage) and I picked up our gold rush shirts at UA. We got a whole goody bag of Cats stuff with the shirts, one of which is the Bobcat Football magazine for this year. The cover is an artist rendering of the completely renovated stadium. There is an article with a few more pictures of what the new weight room and meeting rooms/game day suites would look like. Chad Newell has a small article in there and he says “our facilities will soon reflect the world class program we have built”.

Is this all a little hint that they’ll be getting the ball rolling on the first phase of the stadium renovation this next off season? I sure hope so...

I know it’s a process and it’ll take years to complete, but the sooner they can start phase 1, the sooner the final phase is completed.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:51 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Hairy back guy.....classic!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am

In this offense I think the most important stat for the QB is completion percentage. Most offenses it’s ypa and TD:Int ratio. I think a 6.0 ypa with a 65% completion rate would be good.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 am

I’ve also seen several players mentioning “new stadium” in stories about their commitments. Are we building a completely new stadium, renovating or adding on?

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 am
I’ve also seen several players mentioning “new stadium” in stories about their commitments. Are we building a completely new stadium, renovating or adding on?
Do you got jokes?

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 am
New stadium is relative. We will NOT rebuild the 10 Million dollar end zone. We will be completely redesigning and building as per the design the North EZ and East stands. When it will ALL be done is likely not just this year, but I believe they will announce the beginning of the process of rebuilding according to the design plans.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 am

My guess is there will be ground breaking this off season. Much like when the endzone was redone.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:21 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Don't leave us hangin' bro! whatcha got?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am
In this offense I think the most important stat for the QB is completion percentage. Most offenses it’s ypa and TD:Int ratio. I think a 6.0 ypa with a 65% completion rate would be good.
6 YPA is below average in any offense.

What I saw at the scrimmage was us running a lot of routes (hooks, buttons, outs) that are easy for the defense to get used to, and eventually time it and break it up/intercept the ball.

It’s why Filer got his INT, and Rovig should’ve had two by my count on simple outs that he was late on.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:43 am

They kept the offense pretty vanilla by design.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:56 am

Yes, 6.0 is low. Keep in mind that MSU held opponents to 6.8 and is better this year. I doubt anyone holds MSU to below that this year. Also, two of Andersen’s passes were to Jonsen and were blown dead on touch tackles. Jonsen would’ve ran 20 yards for a TD on one and probably gets another fivevon the other. So add another 25 to Andersen’s 96. That’s 121 on 16 attempts or 7.6 ypa. His rating would 134.2. I’ll take that all year long and twice on Saturdays. Thursday, too.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:56 am
Yes, 6.0 is low. Keep in mind that MSU held opponents to 6.8 and is better this year. I doubt anyone holds MSU to below that this year. Also, two of Andersen’s passes were to Jonsen and were blown dead on touch tackles. Jonsen would’ve ran 20 yards for a TD on one and probably gets another fivevon the other. So add another 25 to Andersen’s 96. That’s 121 on 16 attempts or 7.6 ypa. His rating would 134.2. I’ll take that all year long and twice on Saturdays. Thursday, too.
Even if 6.0 ypa is legit, I think we can reasonably expect it climb after the starter settles in. I’m not making any kind of numerical prediction, I just think it climbs.

We’re all assuming TA will be our starter and if so, I don’t think we need 10.0 ypa to be successful (though I would be pleased) the same way EWU or NAU would need 10.0 ypa to be successful.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:56 am
Even if 6.0 ypa is legit, I think we can reasonably expect it climb after the starter settles in. I’m not making any kind of numerical prediction, I just think it climbs.

We’re all assuming TA will be our starter and if so, I don’t think we need 10.0 ypa to be successful (though I would be pleased) the same way EWU or NAU would need 10.0 ypa to be successful.
For sure.

I think Andersen will be an improvement on Murray at QB. I’m not at all saying he’s bad.

I just don’t like when people use stats badly.