Saturday scrimmage reports

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Saturday scrimmage reports

Post by Cledus » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm
Andersen is the starter. I’m 99% sure.

Defense won the day. The offense had their moments. Ifanse and Sumner and Barkley look very good at RB. I’m guessing Andersen was 60% passing. He would’ve run for at least two more scores.
The one head scratcher for me is two long TD runs untouched right up the middle. Maybe the defense was focusing elsewhere on some kind of drills or something else that left the middle exposed.

In your judgment, Tom, were the turnovers more the result of an opportunistic defense, or sloppy offense?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Yeah, It was pretty clear at the scrimmage that Anderson is QB1 and not splitting, at least at this point.

(Hadn’t seen as Paul’s tweet when I first added that, maybe there’s more to the story, I doubt it though).

Lots of his passes looked nice, but overall not where it needs to be in order to be competitive as a big sky passer imho. Moved the ball well though regardless.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Chapman, Gilman, Thomas, Rollins, Okada, Wright, Fa’anono all stood out on defense.

All the receivers looked good, including true frosh. I feel sorry for defenses when Troy goes live. Perry is a good RB. Horse.

Jonsen would’ve scored on pass from Andersen, but he was wearing red.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm
Andersen is the starter. I’m 99% sure.

Defense won the day. The offense had their moments. Ifanse and Sumner and Barkley look very good at RB. I’m guessing Andersen was 60% passing. He would’ve run for at least two more scores.
The one head scratcher for me is two long TD runs untouched right up the middle. Maybe the defense was focusing elsewhere on some kind of drills or something else that left the middle exposed.

In your judgment, Tom, were the turnovers more the result of an opportunistic defense, or sloppy offense?
The defense is scary and they make the QBs jumpy imo. The offense is going to mess up teams that are average-to-good on defense.

There are some studs running with the 3s on defense.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:19 pm

The Filer interception was a great play. The fumbled pitch was intimidation. Rovig int was ugly. Had TE wide open for days then overthrew him bad.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:23 pm

There’s a boatload of good cornerbacks. I count seven.

toM StUber

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Hopefully come game time, Bailey is 100% on his field goals. Still hard to think about the two that Daly missed in the SDSU game, then they win on a fake field goal. Consistency would be huge for us in the kicking dept this year.

Punters are people too!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Andersen is without a doubt the starter. Missed Kassis on a wide open crossing route that would’ve went for yards. He’s a good runner, I wasn’t that impressed with his passing. Better than Murray, but that doesn’t take much. Still though, that’s an improvement.

The defense is awesome. Fast, reactive, they’re going to cause problems. Fa’anono was great. He mauled Sessions one play (Sessions was at RT, which he cannot play well) to sack Rovig. Shawn Borges (sp?) seemed to make a few plays.

I don’t think we tried to throw downfield at all. Wish they hadn’t run that trick play from Kassis to Andersen, save that for the real games.

Overall, we have a good team. Ifanse is the lead back imo. Love our defense.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 pm
Andersen is without a doubt the starter. Missed Kassis on a wide open crossing route that would’ve went for yards. He’s a good runner, I wasn’t that impressed with his passing. Better than Murray, but that doesn’t take much. Still though, that’s an improvement.

The defense is awesome. Fast, reactive, they’re going to cause problems. Fa’anono was great. He mauled Sessions one play (Sessions was at RT, which he cannot play well) to sack Rovig. Shawn Borges (sp?) seemed to make a few plays.

I don’t think we tried to throw downfield at all. Wish they hadn’t run that trick play from Kassis to Andersen, save that for the real games.

Overall, we have a good team. Ifanse is the lead back imo. Love our defense.
I second pretty much all of this (wasn’t paying close attention to Sessions). I am really excited to see how Troy leads the offense when it’s really real. Defense looks mean.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:58 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm
Hopefully come game time, Bailey is 100% on his field goals. Still hard to think about the two that Daly missed in the SDSU game, then they win on a fake field goal. Consistency would be huge for us in the kicking dept this year.
In the last 12 months, I think the MSU football team has exactly ONE field goal of longer than 30 yards. :-k

(disclaimer: I think I’m right but don’t care enough to look it up and verify)

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:01 pm
I'm heading down now. Mostly going to watch the QBs of course, but I'll post my overall thoughts (for whatever they're worth) after I get back home later.
Live Tweet you wuss! ;)
Lol I would if I went alone, my wife gives me the evil eye if I'm on my phone all the time when I'm with her.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Choate has said several times the scrimmages will be very vanilla. I'm sure come game time we will see some downfield passing. The fact that the QBs completed a good percentage across the board is encouraging.

Andersen may not be a great passer, but as several people have said we don't need that. We need somebody who can manage the game and make a couple throws when needed. If (and it seems like he can) Andersen can go 10-15 to 15-25 or somewhere around there each game and pass for 150-175 or so each game I think we are going to be in great shape.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Bobcats trade blows in final scrimmage of fall camp
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-tra ... fall-camp/

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Any word on the TE from Alaska? Also, wasn’t there a GPoY from Wyoming? Any word on these two kids?

Punters are people too!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Bobcats trade blows in final scrimmage of fall camp
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-tra ... fall-camp/

Well crap, that does not sound very promising regarding Natee........

Anyone have any more info what might be going on there?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:20 pm
Any word on the TE from Alaska? Also, wasn’t there a GPoY from Wyoming? Any word on these two kids?
Snell (TE from Alaska): Saw him during warm ups taking some passes. He is a big kid that can move with soft hands. I didn't see much from the tight ends in today's scrimmage including Snell, but he's healthy and on the team.

Steel (GPoY from WY): Looked to be running with the 2s primarily and sometimes with the 1s (as well as Sumner). Looks like he got 16 yards rushing today. Solid performance and I'm sure we will see more of him this season.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Just got back to Helena, and i'm surprised - and glad - to read the rosy reports on here regarding the QBs. To me, the QBs were overall pretty inconsistent. None of them were overly impressive IMO. Now I'm sure alot of that is because the defense is great, but still it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Troy started the game and got the Lion's share of the plays. He did lead the offense down into the red zone a couple times where drives stalled out, so thats mostly good. But he often threw behind receivers, and once he missed a wide open receiver about 15 yards downfield with a bad overthrow. On a drive later in the scrimmage he took off the red jersey, and took a run about 50 yards for a TD. So he is deadly with his legs... but inconsistent throwing the ball. He threw an INT on a quick out that was a combination of great defense by Greg Filer but also Troy throwing the ball when he probably shouldn't have since the corner recognized and sat on the route.

Rovig was steady for his first couple drives, then going against the #1 defense he drove into the red zone and threw a TD pass to McCutcheon in the left corner of the end zone with Tyrel Thomas draped all over him. It was called back for a penalty, so the very next play, Rovig throws another TD pass to Sullivan on the right side with Hadley in good coverage. Seemed like perhaps Rovig was taking charge... until later in the scrimmage he overthrew a wide open receiver by at least 5 yards right into the arms of safety Luke May.

Should mention that Thomas got dinged on that TD play - he went to the ground for a minute and then had to be helped to the sideline with what I'd speculate to be an ankle twist. Not sure how serious but he did not return. Also COnnor Wood got dinged early on. Also a leg or foot. He walked off under his own power, but very gingerly. Probably OK but I didn't see him return either (but i could be wrong on that).

Was disappointed that Travis Jonsen did not take a snap at QB... strange. He was in the scrimmage early on at WR and RB. One play was an option play with him at RB and Troy at QB, Troy pitched the ball to him but he lost the handle and the defense recovered. I wonder if he got dinged up on that play or something, because I didn't see him back in the game after that play. Not sure.

Beltran was steady but didn't stand out one way or the other. Bauman was as advertised - he's big and has a cannon for an arm. He isn't scared to put the ball into tight spaces over the middle, and he threw a nice deep ball down the right side that fell incomplete due to good coverage and perhaps underthrown just a bit. He led a drive down to the 2 yard line, but it stalled out with a stuffed run up the middle, then a 5 yard penalty, and then Bauman made a bad throw on a slant. Its also evident that he isn't 100% comfy with the playbook yet - one play, he turned left to hand off, but the RB and blocking went right. I think he ended up getting tackled for a loss on that one. He's also tough - he took at least 2 big shots (no red jersey for him or Beltran) and bounced right up. The defense was not taking it easy on anybody tonight, there were a few big sticks. Even Rovig (with red jersey) got shoved hard to the ground once on a scramble outside.

The RBs were solid. Ifanse started and looked good. He looked shorter but thicker than he's listed, but who knows. I didn't see big bacon play at all. Tyrell Burgess was in a walking boot. I was surprised to see Barkley at RB and he looked good! He's small but shifty, hits the hole quick, and has the speed to break a long one - he had about a 40 yard TD run (although that might've been against the 2s, not sure). He also caught a short pass in the flat and took it for about 20 yards. Lane Sumner also looks good.

But take all my words on the QBs with a grain of salt, because 1) Choate said that the playcalling would be very vanilla, and 2) the defense looks real stout. The pass rush is back, and they were a problem often tonight, even for our mostly veteran O-line. I didn't notice Sterk but Fa'anono was a beast. Coverage was generally very good too, which is probably another reason the QBs were inconsistent in my opinion.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm
In the last 12 months, I think the MSU football team has exactly ONE field goal of longer than 30 yards. :-k

(disclaimer: I think I’m right but don’t care enough to look it up and verify)
I think you're right, and this is going to be a huge problem IF we can't iron out the placekicker position STAT! Is the new kid just trying to impress with his leg strength? Or, is he just missing badly on FG's? Luke Daly and Cunningham were lights out on FG's because their focus was on accuracy and touch for the points, rather than booming it every time. Again, I hope this gets solved because as was the case last year, we will win or lose close games on such things as 3 points here and there.