Fall Camp 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall Camp 2018

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Don’t worry. 99 is o-for-2 guessing on Andersen. First he said he couldn’t play running back because he’s too tall, as I recall, so he gets frosh or year based mostly on his running. Then he said he wouldn’t be the quarterback, but it sure looks like he is. Hopefully 99 keeps saying Andersen can’t, because it’s good luck.

99 as in 99% of the time he’s wrong. But in a good way!! \:D/

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:48 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:20 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:18 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:02 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:16 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am
Andersen probably won’t be a great passer. I’m not expecting him to be. I do know he’s a better passer than Murray. I still think he’s best at LB, but he also might be our best CURRENT option at QB. Special talent.

I believe they’ll let Bauman get his 4 games and figure out if he’s ready for the big stage or not. There’s more than to it than just a big arm. I firmly believe Andersen starts at QB, but might not finish the year as the starter. I would prefer to RS Bauman, but he’s a special talent. Our best QB prospect, skills wise, in a very long time. Potentially ever.
That could be true, but the opposite could be true as well. What I'm hearing and reading out of fall camp is that TA is actually a very good passer with good accuracy. Combine that with how smart he is about making the right reads and the right decisions and he just might possibly be a 60-65%, 2000+ yard season. I do think he'll make some young mistakes early on) If he does end up being the starter) we'll see.
Very good?

I uhhh...I would not say that. He’s good at intermediate throws, and that’s about it. He’s a limited passer. Basically a game manager with wheels, which is fine. He’s not a very good passer.
I have watched TA every day in practice. I would say he is a good all around passer. His accuracy is good on short, medium and long passes and yes he has wheels. What I really like is that he is very smart. Also, I am impressed with the improvement in Rovig. However, I think Bauman is our future.
I haven't made every practice like you but I echo your comments. Based on many prior comments, I had to go up to practice a few times and I guess I went expecting the worst on TA in regards to his arm and passing ability. That is simply not the case in my observation. I have been pleasantly surprised on his passing ability to all areas of the field. When he is in the backfield he commands a presence you just don't feel with the others. Clearly experience under game type situations reading defenses (other than the Bobcats), whether he will try to force it in to coverage, whether he can find that second or third receiver, does he know when to pull it down vs. throw it away, does he have "happy feet" will be real tests against live opponents..... but I like what I have seen so far.

And yes, Rovig has made some impressive strides from what I have seen. He showed some real promise this week IMO.

Also, I don't know what the coaches are thinking on Jensen but I have noticed when Jensen and TA are both in the backfield it creates some interesting options for the offense and some real speed for the defense to contend with.

Can't wait to see what they look like on the 30th.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:06 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:24 pm
As history tells us, you don’t need a cannon arm or perfect mechanics to be a successful quarterback in college football. Vince Young, Tebow, Leinart, Lamar Jackson, Darnold. I expect Andersen to settle in and play until someone better comes along. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he excels and starts the next three seasons.

Young, Tebow, Jackson, and Darnold all had strong arms. Jackson in particular has a live arm. Tebow had a slow delivery and wasn’t accurate, but threw a great deep ball.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Weak arm OR bad technique.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:06 pm
iaafan wrote:
As history tells us, you don’t need a cannon arm or perfect mechanics to be a successful quarterback in college football. Vince Young, Tebow, Leinart, Lamar Jackson, Darnold. I expect Andersen to settle in and play until someone better comes along. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he excels and starts the next three seasons.

Young, Tebow, Jackson, and Darnold all had strong arms. Jackson in particular has a live arm. Tebow had a slow delivery and wasn’t accurate, but threw a great deep ball.
They all have really bad throwing mechanics. Young looked like he was flicking cow patties. Darnold has reinvented his motion. Tebow bullied the ball. Leinart was lazy.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:48 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Andersen probably won’t be a great passer. I’m not expecting him to be. I do know he’s a better passer than Murray. I still think he’s best at LB, but he also might be our best CURRENT option at QB. Special talent.

I believe they’ll let Bauman get his 4 games and figure out if he’s ready for the big stage or not. There’s more than to it than just a big arm. I firmly believe Andersen starts at QB, but might not finish the year as the starter. I would prefer to RS Bauman, but he’s a special talent. Our best QB prospect, skills wise, in a very long time. Potentially ever.
That could be true, but the opposite could be true as well. What I'm hearing and reading out of fall camp is that TA is actually a very good passer with good accuracy. Combine that with how smart he is about making the right reads and the right decisions and he just might possibly be a 60-65%, 2000+ yard season. I do think he'll make some young mistakes early on) If he does end up being the starter) we'll see.
Very good?

I uhhh...I would not say that. He’s good at intermediate throws, and that’s about it. He’s a limited passer. Basically a game manager with wheels, which is fine. He’s not a very good passer.
I have watched TA every day in practice. I would say he is a good all around passer. His accuracy is good on short, medium and long passes and yes he has wheels. What I really like is that he is very smart. Also, I am impressed with the improvement in Rovig. However, I think Bauman is our future.
I haven't made every practice like you but I echo your comments. Based on many prior comments, I had to go up to practice a few times and I guess I went expecting the worst on TA in regards to his arm and passing ability. That is simply not the case in my observation. I have been pleasantly surprised on his passing ability to all areas of the field. When he is in the backfield he commands a presence you just don't feel with the others. Clearly experience under game type situations reading defenses (other than the Bobcats), whether he will try to force it in to coverage, whether he can find that second or third receiver, does he know when to pull it down vs. throw it away, does he have "happy feet" will be real tests against live opponents..... but I like what I have seen so far.

And yes, Rovig has made some impressive strides from what I have seen. He showed some real promise this week IMO.

Also, I don't know what the coaches are thinking on Jensen but I have noticed when Jensen and TA are both in the backfield it creates some interesting options for the offense and some real speed for the defense to contend with.

Our QB's name is Travis Jonsen.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:11 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Very good?

We shall see...

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:02 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:28 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 pm
GRZSLAYER wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:49 pm
I agree with you Tom about the young running backs. I have liked all of them. They probably are the deepest position on the team. I will agree that Bauman is raw, but the upside is just so much more. The Linebacker class is fairly deep, but I don't think they are super deep just because none of them can stay healthy through a season. That's the reason I question that group. Maybe not the talent, just the availability. But the passing game I still think will be fairly pedestrian just due to the lack of arm talent. No fault at all to Anderson or Johnson. Neither have been in a live game at QB in a while. I think they will improve with each game, but with the schedule they have they gotta be ready to go out of the gate if they want to be successful.
For this offense (and defense) the QB needs to be efficient more than dynamic. A Cantwell would be killer. I’d rather have someone like him than a Gubrud or Prukop.
I agree in general that who we need at QB needs to be a dealer! Someone who can distribute the ball around and get it into the hands of the playmakers. However, to have the ability to drop some downfield dimes opens up the middle of the field for that distribution to happen well, and that is why Coach Choate has recruited Rovig and Bauman. These are big tall throwers who can get the ball out and into the hands of the playmakers, and, toss it downfield consistently as well.
Secretariat had really bad teeth. Sham’s were perfect.
From Rachac story:
”I call him Secretariat,” defensive coordinator Ty Gregorak said of Andersen, keeping with the thoroughbred analogy. “He will be a challenge for opponents. He’s just such an exceptional athlete. He’s got size, he’s got a good brain, he’s going to be one of the fastest guys in this league, and then you throw Travis in the equation and you’re like, ‘Whoa. These are two really, really dynamic athletes.’ They both have done a good job.”

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am

I was at a practice and TA broke a nice run off of a roll out. The next play we scored on a pass to Kasis. Troy nearly beat everyone to the end zone to celebrate. As he was sprinting down the field. Four defensive players who all play a lot, commented, “There goes Secretariat!” And the other replied, “ Yep the pony with a big heart!”

LEADERSHIP WINS GAMES!

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Very good?

Naw. DBTH

In TA We Trust...

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:15 am

iaafan wrote:
Vince Young, Leinart, & arguably Darnold were all surrounded by superior talent at skill positions & had great offensive line play & coaching. As a result, they were very overrated coming out of school and entering the NFL draft. Darnold will not be a great NFL QB. Lamar Jackson was an exceptional athlete in a gimmick offensive system, and therefore also extremely overrated. Lamar Jackson will be the next Bob Griffen III. Tebow was a once-in-a-generation talent that basically defies classification ... a true leader & true winner who was (and still is) actually underrated in my opinion.

In TA, we can hope for a Tebow-like performance I believe. The kid is a true winner & everyone respects him. He will do what he needs to do as the QB to move the chains & get Ws for the Cats. He is also an exceptional athlete, similar to Tebow, but actually more like a Lamar Jackson type at the FCS level.

The potential for TA at the QB position is enormous.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:16 am

I'm not saying he's our starter. Some people are spelling it wrong. It's not Johnson and it sure in hell isn't Jensen.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am
I was at a practice and TA broke a nice run off of a roll out. The next play we scored on a pass to Kasis. Troy nearly beat everyone to the end zone to celebrate. As he was sprinting down the field. Four defensive players who all play a lot, commented, “There goes Secretariat!” And the other replied, “ Yep the pony with a big heart!”

LEADERSHIP WINS GAMES!
Jay Sanderson has to be licking his chops. "Andersen gets the edge...he's to the 20. Twenty-five, thirty...thirty-five, forty! Troy Andersen is moving like a tremendous machine!"

toM StUber

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am

LEADERSHIP WINS GAMES!
Jay Sanderson has to be licking his chops. "Andersen gets the edge...he's to the 20. Twenty-five, thirty...thirty-five, forty! Troy Andersen is moving like a tremendous machine!"

Thanks, that still gives me goose bumps.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:40 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 pm

With all the complaining and guessing who will be out QB this year I thought this put things in perspective, only one QB on scholarship and he isn’t starting wow

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tarting-qb

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 pm
With all the complaining and guessing who will be out QB this year I thought this put things in perspective, only one QB on scholarship and he isn’t starting wow

It’s scary bad in my eyes. This reminds me when we used Kempt and Iddins. I think this year will be a rebuilding year at best. It’s proven that you need to be able to throw the ball in the big sky and right now we are below average and that is being generous. Troy is such a special athlete, but he isn’t a big sky QB right now and the fact that Rovig hasn’t been named the guy, due to his own performance, puts us behind the eight ball across the FCS. As a fan you have to feel disappointed.

Man I hope Troy comes out and kills it, because crow would never taste better, but from the things I have seen and read, we are in trouble offensively.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

And Minnesota isn’t good, so it doesn’t ease my anxiety. I hope Troy comes out gangbusters, I love the kid, but I don’t see it right now.

If your left, you aren’t right.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm
catgrad05 wrote:

It’s scary bad in my eyes. This reminds me when we used Kempt and Iddins. I think this year will be a rebuilding year at best. It’s proven that you need to be able to throw the ball in the big sky and right now we are below average and that is being generous. Troy is such a special athlete, but he isn’t a big sky QB right now and the fact that Rovig hasn’t been named the guy, due to his own performance, puts us behind the eight ball across the FCS. As a fan you have to feel disappointed.

Man I hope Troy comes out and kills it, because crow would never taste better, but from the things I have seen and read, we are in trouble offensively.
The sad part is I still think we will have a better passing game than last year and I have a new stat line to watch this year. How did our offense compare to Minnesota each week. I guarantee it will be better than the gophers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm
catgrad05 wrote:

You realize that the 4th, 6th and 9th pass offenses (3rd, 6th, and 9th in efficiency) were the three teams from the BSC in the playoffs? They were 1, 2, and 5 in total defense.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber