Fall Camp 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: Fall Camp 2018

Post by RobertCats » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 pm
With all the complaining and guessing who will be out QB this year I thought this put things in perspective, only one QB on scholarship and he isn’t starting wow

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tarting-qb
It’s scary bad in my eyes. This reminds me when we used Kempt and Iddins. I think this year will be a rebuilding year at best. It’s proven that you need to be able to throw the ball in the big sky and right now we are below average and that is being generous. Troy is such a special athlete, but he isn’t a big sky QB right now and the fact that Rovig hasn’t been named the guy, due to his own performance, puts us behind the eight ball across the FCS. As a fan you have to feel disappointed.

Man I hope Troy comes out and kills it, because crow would never taste better, but from the things I have seen and read, we are in trouble offensively.
Agree to disagree on this one.....We were 5-6 with a more difficult schedule last year. We improved every facet of the team this year besides RB/WR and I'm not totally convinced we are worse off this year in those aspects. Defense is quite a bit better and special teams is going to take a big step forward. Just better special teams alone would have got us two more wins last year. Our passing will improve this year, even though TA is not a prototypical FCS QB, he is an improvement over Murray. I can't see how this year could be deemed a "rebuilding" year. Better in the trenches + better pass rush + better coverage + upgrade special teams + somewhat adequate passing game + lighter schedule = more than 5 wins

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:36 pm

If Chris was still here he would be the starter, so I don’t see how we are improved at QB? I agree with the other positions, but the most important position on offense is QB, and Chris was clearly above the guys we have on the team now. The coaches would tell you that and so would the players, if it wasn’t the truth Troy would have played in the spring as a QB and he didn’t.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Blixtonz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Blixtonz » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi-Line: 100% agreed.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 pm
With all the complaining and guessing who will be out QB this year I thought this put things in perspective, only one QB on scholarship and he isn’t starting wow

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tarting-qb
It’s scary bad in my eyes. This reminds me when we used Kempt and Iddins. I think this year will be a rebuilding year at best. It’s proven that you need to be able to throw the ball in the big sky and right now we are below average and that is being generous. Troy is such a special athlete, but he isn’t a big sky QB right now and the fact that Rovig hasn’t been named the guy, due to his own performance, puts us behind the eight ball across the FCS. As a fan you have to feel disappointed.

Man I hope Troy comes out and kills it, because crow would never taste better, but from the things I have seen and read, we are in trouble offensively.
I think this post is absolutely down the right path. Hi Line Bobcat just posted what nobody wanted to say! I'm not sure Andersen is a long-term solution at QB.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t. I’m not sold we are in deep sh&t because Andersen isn’t as good as Murray. I don’t think we’d be in deep sh%t if Murray was starting.

None of us have seen any of the QBs on the roster take a snap as a Bobcat.

Let me ask you this, would you say Andersen is ahead of where Murray was as a true freshman?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Blixtonz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Blixtonz » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Here I'd like to clarify what I posted in the scrimmage post, take it for what its worth, (please note, this doesn't go against Hi-Line):

"I think Murray 2.0 will be an improvement on Murray. Andersen is one heck of a bridge to that and 2018 will probably solidify his future prospects at a higher level.

This will be fun to watch!"

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Troy believes in this team and them in him. Whether on the ground or through the air, this offense (and defense) will be successful and this team will make the playoffs. Attitude and mindset is contagious, "believe to achieve." A-1 or Heinz 57 with your crow? I'm taking orders.

2019...🏆

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:36 pm
If Chris was still here he would be the starter, so I don’t see how we are improved at QB? I agree with the other positions, but the most important position on offense is QB, and Chris was clearly above the guys we have on the team now. The coaches would tell you that and so would the players, if it wasn’t the truth Troy would have played in the spring as a QB and he didn’t.
I don't specifically agree with this. Choate's philosophy (which I agree with) is to get the best 11 players on the field at the same time. To achieve this last year required Murray to be at QB & TA at a flex/RB position.

If Murray were still here, and Choate decided to pit Murray vs TA at the QB position, I'm not so sure Murray would come out ahead. In fact, I highly doubt it.

Having said that, does losing Murray mean we take a hit at getting our best 11 players on the field on offense at same time? Probably.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:17 am

Yeah, there’s never been a team that has replaced their starting QB from the previous season with someone else. Obviously MSU is completely lost.

I love how some fans completely ignore (repress?) things that people in the know, like Colter, tell us. Even things Choate says are kicked to the curb. Colter flatly stated that all four QBs have better arms than Murray, but never mind that. He actually made a rare outside his blog appearance to post that here.
Last edited by iaafan on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 am

You take the chance of loosing any player at any time. I feel its best to have time to plan for such losses ahead of time rather than midway thru the year.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:17 am
Yeah, there’s never been a team that has replaced their starting QB from the previous season with someone else. Obviously MSU is completely lost.

I love how some fans completely ignore (repress?) things that people in the know, like Colter, tell us. Even things Choate says are kicked to the curb. Colter flatly stated that all four QBs have better arms than Murray, but never mind that.
Yeah because that is what I’m referring to. :roll:

The QB position is being replaced by a player who hasn’t played the position in two years and this isn’t division 2 or NAIA football. QBs at this level dedicate their whole football up bringing around this one position, so it’s kind of a big deal. There is a lot that goes into being a QB, and a good arm is a small part of it. Like I said before, I hope he comes out and kills it because he is my favorite bobcat and I love watching him, I’m just a little hesitant to say we will be better off at QB due to all the time he missed since the last time he played the position.

If your left, you aren’t right.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:40 am

I really don't care, as long as they represent our university and fans well and win on the field.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 am

Hi-Line: what you say is true, but you have variable in your equation named Troy Andersen. I’d be wary if Rovig or Bauman was starting. Not Troy. In terms of staying within the framework of the plays, so that the rest of the team is in sync with the QB, Andersen is much better than Murray. He’s a better passer, according to Colter, and he’s just slightly slower and less shifty, but way more powerful running the ball.

He doesn’t have to kill it. The OL, RBs and defense don’t need him to kill it. The just need him to be consistent and not try to do too much.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 am
Hi-Line: what you say is true, but you have variable in your equation named Troy Andersen. I’d be wary if Rovig or Bauman was starting. Not Troy. In terms of staying within the framework of the plays, so that the rest of the team is in sync with the QB, Andersen is much better than Murray. He’s a better passer, according to Colter, and he’s just slightly slower and less shifty, but way more powerful running the ball.

He doesn’t have to kill it. The OL, RBs and defense don’t need him to kill it. The just need him to be consistent and not try to do too much.
We are okay if TA becomes our Trent Dilfer with wheels :).

Power running, Tough D, and the ability to make them pay on some pass plays if they load up on the run. Get ready Cat fans as there is going to be a LOT of close games this year. :)
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:42 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:36 pm
I don't specifically agree with this. Choate's philosophy (which I agree with) is to get the best 11 players on the field at the same time. To achieve this last year required Murray to be at QB & TA at a flex/RB position.

If Murray were still here, and Choate decided to pit Murray vs TA at the QB position, I'm not so sure Murray would come out ahead. In fact, I highly doubt it.

Having said that, does losing Murray mean we take a hit at getting our best 11 players on the field on offense at same time? Probably.
Beat me to it! You make a fair argument @Hi-Line Bobcat which I would agree with most of the time. But to say that if Murray was still eligible he would be the QB is different than saying he would be the better QB. TA was recruited to be a LB, multiple people a lot smarter than me ( @VimSince03 @Colter_Nuanez ) talked about how he could be a gamechanger and play at the next level at LB. Then we get Vander nicked up and Lasane gets suspended and we move Troy from the position we brought him in to dominate at to rb out of necessity. What happened if Vander/Lasane played the whole year, Troy probably does not get moved to RB, does that mean that Vander/Lasane were better rb's than him? So the same argument can be applied, If Rb's were all there by the first game, they would have started over Troy at RB. Troy has moved to another position out of necessity and they have done so again. 99% of the time it would not be a good move and 99% of Division-1 athletes would struggle but Troy is a once in a generation player and has as good of a chance as anyone to excel IMO. I agree QB is a different animal and more difficult than transitioning from LB to RB but multiple reports say Troy is a better passer than Murray already and I do not think we lose as much in the running game as some people think. Another upgrade with Troy over Murray is his intangibles, I remember reading about the coaching staff frustrated with Murray going off script and ad-libbing when he was not supposed to and he also made some very poor decisions. They now have someone running the show that they trust and should improve the decision-making at that position. Jury is still out, I get it, and I may be eating crow myself, but I feel better at the QB position this year than I have the last two seasons.

And this is not a knock on Murray either, I would LOVE to have the kid on the team this year and he is special when he is in the open field with the ball in his hands.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:42 am

Obviously we're all in "wait and see" mode here, but I'll just add one more tidbit to the discussion.

Unless I'm completely off base here, the Bobcats pretty much operate out of an option offense correct? TA may be the best triple option QB we have on the roster by far. That's my two cents.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:59 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:42 am
Obviously we're all in "wait and see" mode here, but I'll just add one more tidbit to the discussion.

Unless I'm completely off base here, the Bobcats pretty much operate out of an option offense correct? TA may be the best triple option QB we have on the roster by far. That's my two cents.
Great point, and not to mention Bob Cole supervising the position with talent much like he had in Jordan Lynch, where all he did was ride him to 3rd place finish in the Heisman race, from the powerhouse that is Northern Illinois.....

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 am

Henderson, Alleyne engaged in fierce position battle at safety
https://skylinesportsmt.com/henderson-a ... -at-safety

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:02 am

Colter's take on T&N was that Andersen will be less turnover prone and more apt to execute in late game situations than Murray. He thinks if put in a position to succeed that he will be just fine at QB. Talked about how there is more to being a QB than just arm - command of the offense, authority at the line of scrimmage pre-snap, things I think Murray was improving upon but not natural skills for him.

We had plenty of chances to win some close games last year. We couldn't get it done, and I'm not going to blame that solely on Murray, but we need to make plays when plays are needed, and I think there is decent reason to think Andersen might be that type of player.

One thing Andersen will bring is preparedness. Andersen isn't going to come to the line and forget what play he's running or where his receivers are supposed to be. That was a weakness for Murray but arguably his biggest strength. Murray is kind of like a football version of Manu Ginobli.

Colter also said this, and I actually agree with him - a collection of athletes does not an offense make. We will likely have sets with Andersen, Jonsen, and Barkley on the field at the same time, which I'm not sure any offense in the Big Sky can replicate form a pure athletic standpoint. But it remains to be seen if we can actually score some points. We didn't score a ton with Murray under center, I'm hopeful we can score a few more this year.

Colter also said the hype about our defense is real.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:02 am
Colter's take on T&N was that Andersen will be less turnover prone and more apt to execute in late game situations than Murray. He thinks if put in a position to succeed that he will be just fine at QB. Talked about how there is more to being a QB than just arm - command of the offense, authority at the line of scrimmage pre-snap, things I think Murray was improving upon but not natural skills for him.

We had plenty of chances to win some close games last year. We couldn't get it done, and I'm not going to blame that solely on Murray, but we need to make plays when plays are needed, and I think there is decent reason to think Andersen might be that type of player.

One thing Andersen will bring is preparedness. Andersen isn't going to come to the line and forget what play he's running or where his receivers are supposed to be. That was a weakness for Murray but arguably his biggest strength. Murray is kind of like a football version of Manu Ginobli.

Colter also said this, and I actually agree with him - a collection of athletes does not an offense make. We will likely have sets with Andersen, Jonsen, and Barkley on the field at the same time, which I'm not sure any offense in the Big Sky can replicate form a pure athletic standpoint. But it remains to be seen if we can actually score some points. We didn't score a ton with Murray under center, I'm hopeful we can score a few more this year.

Colter also said the hype about our defense is real.
He also said on the that Bob Cole would be making a majority of the play calls.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."