College Sports Madness Top 44 - Countdown

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: College Sports Madness Top 44 - Countdown

Post by Anacomando » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Eastern and NAU will be top 10. I don't care where the Griz are ranked. I expect the Cats to come in around #27.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:44 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:58 am
I'm not so sure we're even going to be on this list.
Nothing’s for sure, but I’d be surprised if they have the Cats at 9th or worst in the Big Sky
EWU, NAU, UM and Idaho will no doubt be on the list. Only 2 of Davis, SUU and the Cats will be on the list it seems. Based on last year's results, the fact SUU returns almost every starter, Davis has a top 10 QB in the nation and we don't know who our QB is, I wouldn't be surprised if we're not on the list. Not that it matters though since well be on it by seasons end.
Yea, good point. You might be right then. Certainly not something I’ll lose sleep over, but still a bit surprising that they aren’t on this top 44 list, if indeed it works out that way.
Not so sure about Davis. They 3-5 in conference and 5-6 overall last year. I would be surprised if they are ranked ahead of MSU.

Also, UM had one win against a team with a winning record. That team was NAU and NAU lost their All-American QB in the first quarter. They also had two wins against two of the worst football programs in FCs football. How does UM warrant any respect at all, especially after losing their freshman All American starting quarterback?
Davis has a great QB and we don't know if we have even a decent one yet. I'm definitely not saying UM should get a nod over us, but I'm sure they will. They always get love from national polsters and FCS "experts". Plus the name Booby Hauck for some reason makes the pollsters and experts giddy. It's possible not all the top 8 big sky teams (however he comes up with that number) get on the list anyway since Weber was 8 and Sac State is 6, but 7 hasn't shown up yet.
A quarterback does not make a complete team. Davis had 5 wins last year. Only one of those wins were against a team with a winning record and that was against non-scholarship school San Diego. I will be shocked if they are picked higher than MSU.

I am wondering about Hero skipping from Weber as the #8 to Sac State as the #6 in the Big Sky. Maybe they missed a school?

Also, if you get a chance, listen to the podcast of Jay Sanderson and Colter. It is exceptional. Colter thinks that as many as 9 teams have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs. Of course he is not picking 9 teams to make it, but the Big Sky sounds really tough this year. They had great insight and very interesting comments on Murray. I am really pulling for the kid to come back.

https://msubobcats.com/sports/2018/5/18 ... dcast.aspx

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 am

#31 Monmouth 2018 FCS Previw (Hawks)
#2 Big South
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16452

Average offense of 395 yards a game is starting to get impressive, but their defense is giving up the same. Thought this was an interesting comment:
But Monmouth does return enough talent to push Kennesaw State for a Big South title and a return trip to the playoffs
simply because we know this
Kennesaw State is the clear favorite in the Big South...

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:45 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Nothing’s for sure, but I’d be surprised if they have the Cats at 9th or worst in the Big Sky
EWU, NAU, UM and Idaho will no doubt be on the list. Only 2 of Davis, SUU and the Cats will be on the list it seems. Based on last year's results, the fact SUU returns almost every starter, Davis has a top 10 QB in the nation and we don't know who our QB is, I wouldn't be surprised if we're not on the list. Not that it matters though since well be on it by seasons end.
Yea, good point. You might be right then. Certainly not something I’ll lose sleep over, but still a bit surprising that they aren’t on this top 44 list, if indeed it works out that way.
Not so sure about Davis. They 3-5 in conference and 5-6 overall last year. I would be surprised if they are ranked ahead of MSU.

Also, UM had one win against a team with a winning record. That team was NAU and NAU lost their All-American QB in the first quarter. They also had two wins against two of the worst football programs in FCs football. How does UM warrant any respect at all, especially after losing their freshman All American starting quarterback?
Davis has a great QB and we don't know if we have even a decent one yet. I'm definitely not saying UM should get a nod over us, but I'm sure they will. They always get love from national polsters and FCS "experts". Plus the name Booby Hauck for some reason makes the pollsters and experts giddy. It's possible not all the top 8 big sky teams (however he comes up with that number) get on the list anyway since Weber was 8 and Sac State is 6, but 7 hasn't shown up yet.
A quarterback does not make a complete team. Davis had 5 wins last year. Only one of those wins were against a team with a winning record and that was against non-scholarship school San Diego. I will be shocked if they are picked higher than MSU.

I am wondering about Hero skipping from Weber as the #8 to Sac State as the #6 in the Big Sky. Maybe they missed a school?

Also, if you get a chance, listen to the podcast of Jay Sanderson and Colter. It is exceptional. Colter thinks that as many as 9 teams have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs. Of course he is not picking 9 teams to make it, but the Big Sky sounds really tough this year. They had great insight and very interesting comments on Murray. I am really pulling for the kid to come back.

You're right about QB, but I do think that is a big thing for the people doing these types of previews and polls.

I hadn't listened to any of the podcasts yet but damn, just listening to Choate and Jay talk about the team gets me excited. After listening to the podcast I don't think we will have any issues at WR or RB. Choate rattled off a dozen or more names at WR that will make an impact this year and at least 6 or 7 RBs. With that kind of competition we are going to get the best out of a lot of guys.

Edit: these previews aren't from Hero sports either. College Sports Madness is a different entity I believe.
I listened to the podcast with one of the Hero guys and similar to everyone else who isn't a huge Big Sky fan he thinks Meier and Doss at Davis, plus 7 starters returning on D will make them a solid team And Booby will turn the Griz around now, maybe not playoffs but top 25.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Actually if memory serves, he initially said he thought maybe 9 times could possibly make the playoffs but after talking to all the other coaches, he bumped that to 12 :shock: with PSU being the only team that probably had no chance.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 am

#30 Yale 2018 FCS Preview (Bulldogs)
#1 Ivy League
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16455

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:44 am

Will try to keep a Conference Summary going, like the following, in the first post of this thread.

FCS Conference Summary - College Sports Madness Top 44
  • Missouri Valley
  • 37.....07-Western Illinois

Big Sky
  • 32.....06-Sac State
  • 41.....08-Weber State

CAA
  • 33.....06-Stony Brook

Ohio Valley
  • 34.....03-Eastern Illinois
  • 39.....04-Tennessee State

Big South
  • 31.....02-Monmouth
  • 35.....03-Charleston So

Patriot
  • 36.....01-Colgate
  • 42.....02-Lehigh

NEC
  • 38.....01-Bryant
  • 43.....02-St. Francis

MEAC
  • 44.....02-Howard

Ivy
  • 30.....01-Yale

SWAC
  • 40.....01-Grambling State

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:28 am

#29 UCDavis 2018 FCS Preview (Aggies)
#6 Big Sky
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16458
The Aggies ranked third in the FCS in passing offense and the two key pieces for that success are back.
If the Aggies are going to make a push for the playoffs, their run defense must improve; and the rest of the defense too for that matter.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:54 am

codecat wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:28 am
#29 UCDavis 2018 FCS Preview (Aggies)
#6 Big Sky
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16458
The Aggies ranked third in the FCS in passing offense and the two key pieces for that success are back.
If the Aggies are going to make a push for the playoffs, their run defense must improve; and the rest of the defense too for that matter.
Well that explains why no #7 in BSC, tie for 6th.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am

#28 San Diego 2018 FCS Preview (Toreros)
#1 Pioneer
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16462

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:25 am

#27 Youngstown State 2018 FCS Preview (Penguins)
#6 Missouri Valley
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16465

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:12 am

#26 Mercer 2018 FCS Preview (Bears)
#4 SoCon
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16470

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:30 am

Soo... if MSU appears on the list at all, then at this point that would mean we’re in the top 25.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 am

#25 Idaho 2018 FCS Preview (Vandals)
#5 Big Sky
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16473

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:45 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:30 am
Soo... if MSU appears on the list at all, then at this point that would mean we’re in the top 25.
We won't be. We were 5-6 last year, lost our starter at QB, and picked 8th in conference by media and coaches.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:45 am
Cledus wrote:
We won't be. We were 5-6 last year, lost our starter at QB, and picked 8th in conference by media and coaches.
That's pretty much how I'm guessing in this poll too simply because they primarily go off of last years players and production, what key players they are losing, and ones that have shown some and could step up, with little to no reading between the lines. However I have an email into them about a computer ranking they did earlier this year where we seemed to rank quite favorably (will post a link if the they answer and the article is still alive).

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:41 am

codecat wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
That's pretty much how I'm guessing in this poll too simply because they primarily go off of last years players and production, what key players they are losing, and ones that have shown some and could step up, with little to no reading between the lines. However I have an email into them about a computer ranking they did earlier this year where we seemed to rank quite favorably (will post a link if the they answer and the article is still alive).
My personal opinion is that we are probably going to end up being a top 10 team in the FCS in 2018. Biased? Probably. :D

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
You just described Davis and they were picked at #29... :D

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
I agree now. I kind of expected to be in the 25-35 range, but since they’re into the top 25 now and still nothing, they won’t be ranked this high.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
You just described Davis and they were picked at #29... :D
UC Davis didn't lose their QB, they have a stud QB.