Joe Olson Bozeman High RB/LB COMMITS!!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Joe Olson Bozeman High RB/LB COMMITS!!

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 am

RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:21 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 pm
Joe is having his knee looked at this week. Hyperextension.
Are there different severities of a hyperextension?
Biggest thing you worry about with a hyperextension injury is damage to the PCL. However, the PCL has much better capacity to heal on its own non-operatively, as it is about 3x as thick as the ACL and has really good blood supply. You always have the risk of damage to a meniscus as well. Long-term, without knowing any specifics, I would say his prognosis for full recovery is excellent, and odds are pretty good he won't have to have surgery. Probably will need to wear a brace this year, but plan was probably going to be to redshirt him anyways, so this gives him a chance to fully recover and work on rebuilding strength in the hip/leg muscles that will help stabilize his knee in the long run.
Thank you. I will take that as pretty good news...
Any time you have a kid going to see the doc for a knee injury, I wait nervously until the news comes out. So many variables and possibilities, it's really hard to know what to expect. And I'm going off very little information, so I would take that with a grain of salt. Hoping the best for Joe, I'm excited to see him suit up for the Cats!
The 'good news" is that he may be a redshirt.
Gosh, make him a grey shirt.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 am
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Biggest thing you worry about with a hyperextension injury is damage to the PCL. However, the PCL has much better capacity to heal on its own non-operatively, as it is about 3x as thick as the ACL and has really good blood supply. You always have the risk of damage to a meniscus as well. Long-term, without knowing any specifics, I would say his prognosis for full recovery is excellent, and odds are pretty good he won't have to have surgery. Probably will need to wear a brace this year, but plan was probably going to be to redshirt him anyways, so this gives him a chance to fully recover and work on rebuilding strength in the hip/leg muscles that will help stabilize his knee in the long run.
Any time you have a kid going to see the doc for a knee injury, I wait nervously until the news comes out. So many variables and possibilities, it's really hard to know what to expect. And I'm going off very little information, so I would take that with a grain of salt. Hoping the best for Joe, I'm excited to see him suit up for the Cats!
So if you are a Grey shirt, do you get any financial assistance from the university? I was under the impression that you don’t even enroll. It was like taking a gap year from school and moving your commitment to next years class.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am
Montanabob wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
So if you are a Grey shirt, do you get any financial assistance from the university? I was under the impression that you don’t even enroll. It was like taking a gap year from school and moving your commitment to next years class.
Scholarship would be pulled and he wouldn’t have access to the team or facilities this fall. I think that’s pretty extreme for a knee tweak.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:58 am

Guys...most hyperextensions are far from serious injuries and usually heal on their own within 2-4 weeks. Like I said above, some players come back the next week and play after hyperextending their knee the week before (albeit I'm using Chad Newell for that example haha).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am
Montanabob wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Don't enroll until January, financial aid starts then.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:58 am
Guys...most hyperextensions are far from serious injuries and usually heal on their own within 2-4 weeks. Like I said above, some players come back the next week and play after hyperextending their knee the week before (albeit I'm using Chad Newell for that example haha).
+1 on this. Plus I’m sure ANY tweak of a knee, or other injuries for that matter, and the MT coaches had instructions to shut ‘em down for the game. It probably hurt, because even relatively mild hyperextensions do hurt quite a bit immediately (from experience). Someone with legitimate ligament damage in a knee doesn’t hold a squat position like that for a photo. No wrap, no ice.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:09 am

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am

OMG! This just isn’t fair.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:04 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am
OMG! This just isn’t fair.
I agree. Not the best way to start my Friday.

Wish the kid a speedy recovery.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am

Ugh, didn't think he would play next year but not being able to participate in fall or spring practices is a real bummer.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:19 am

Yes, that really stinks!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 am

He has a great attitude. I look forward to an excellent career from him.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am

sounds like Grey Shirt may be an option.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:07 am

Damn, that's terrible news. This is why I always hold my breath when a kid is going to the doc, you just never know.

GO CATS GO!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:11 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am
sounds like Grey Shirt may be an option.
Yes it definitely does now. Jacob Kettels is greyshirting this year for injury recovery as well.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Wish him a speedy recovery!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:10 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."