Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:41 am
Roderick was a pretty good receiver. Underutilized.

I wouldn’t say he was underutilized. He just didn’t earn it.
Bad attitude, which was a shame because he my friends was an athlete. I bet he regrets it a little now.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 pm

mongoo99 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:43 pm
webdav wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 am
Murray’s statement was contrite and heartfelt (to me.) I think he truly regrets getting in the position he’s in.

But forget football for a minute and remember his education is about Chris Murray the man. I’d rather he take the time to get things right for his long-term success at life.

If he can come back and play for the Cats again, it will show a strength of character that can only make him a better football player.
I thought the profile on Murray in the 2017 Bobcat Football Magazine was really good. He came across as smart and articulate, not like someone who wasn't paying attention in class.
If what your saying is true he would still be on the team. Obviously he wasn’t going to class or paying attention. He may be smart, but he obviously didn’t get it. I have no doubt he could pass college, but the fact he couldn’t as of now shows he
he didn’t participate in class or his studies. No sympathy, however I do wish he was still our QB, but still no sympathy.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Not to revive a dead subject but I forgot to post this year last week. Here's some of my thoughts on Chris Murray's unavailability...

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 pm
Not to revive a dead subject but I forgot to post this year last week. Here's some of my thoughts on Chris Murray's unavailability...

I am glad you posted. I learned a lot about Travis Jonsen. I hope he makes a full recovery and we get a chance to see him play. Sounds like a game changer.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm still trying to figure out this Travis Jonsen injury thing. I read his first injury was actually turf toe, not a broken foot. He did have to get surgery for it though.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... fer_f.html

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:06 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I am glad you posted. I learned a lot about Travis Jonsen. I hope he makes a full recovery and we get a chance to see him play. Sounds like a game changer.
Lots of compelling dialog in here. I always enjoy listening to Colter's analysis.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:06 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Lots of compelling dialog in here. I always enjoy listening to Colter's analysis.
I agree. Have some hope that we will have a serviceable quarterback this year. I didn't know that he was faster than Murray?! He will be fun to watch if he can stay healthy [-o<

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm
I'm still trying to figure out this Travis Jonsen injury thing. I read his first injury was actually turf toe, not a broken foot. He did have to get surgery for it though.

If Travis is back to 100% health wise, has the right attitude (takes coaching, and shows leadership qualities) going in, there is no way he isn't our starting QB in the Gold Rush opener. This kid was the #3 dual threat QB in the country and had offers from every major program out there. He's a 4.0 student. Watch some of the highlights below. Some of the throws aren't perfect but many of them are right on the money. All that, and supposedly he's the fastest player on the team (Including Murray). :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am
AFCAT wrote:

If Travis is back to 100% health wise, has the right attitude (takes coaching, and shows leadership qualities) going in, there is no way he isn't our starting QB in the Gold Rush opener. This kid was the #3 dual threat QB in the country and had offers from every major program out there. He's a 4.0 student. Watch some of the highlights below. Some of the throws aren't perfect but many of them are right on the money. All that, and supposedly he's the fastest player on the team (Including Murray). :shock:

He seems to have similar running abilities as CM...very athletic. However from those highlights he seems to have similar passing abilities as well.....not too accurate and doesn't keep his eyes downfield/looks to run too quick. This upcoming camp will be as Arte Johnson as a German Soldier on the show Laugh-In would say....."Verrrry Interesting". GO CATS!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 pm

catatac wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Thanks for the video. Definitely athletic. He actually reminds me more of Prukop than Murray. I expect that we are going to “better than okay”!!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am
catatac wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

He seems to have similar running abilities as CM...very athletic. However from those highlights he seems to have similar passing abilities as well.....not too accurate and doesn't keep his eyes downfield/looks to run too quick. This upcoming camp will be as Arte Johnson as a German Soldier on the show Laugh-In would say....."Verrrry Interesting". GO CATS!
I don't think that's completely accurate, there are several examples in that video where he scrambles from the pocket, keeps looking downfield, and throws the ball rather than runs.

On a related note, I re-watched Bauman's video this morning, and I just love that kid's potential. His height, his compact throwing motion and quick release, and arm strength. Wonder if he'll be able to come in right away and compete next week. Guess we'll see!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm

It isn’t breathtaking, but he looks as good as Murray. I thought Murray was progressing and getting more consistent as the season went on. Jonsen appears to be about where Murray was at the end of the year, which, at this point, I’d be ecstatic over

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm
It isn’t breathtaking, but he looks as good as Murray. I thought Murray was progressing and getting more consistent as the season went on. Jonsen appears to be about where Murray was at the end of the year, which, at this point, I’d be ecstatic over
Yes, I agree. There were several throws that were pretty ugly. I don't see him as a lock in the QB competition. That video shows that none of our QB's are on the "inside track" for the starting job.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm
Yes, I agree. There were several throws that were pretty ugly. I don't see him as a lock in the QB competition. That video shows that none of our QB's are on the "inside track" for the starting job.
He had the same problem here at Oregon. I think it can be alleviated and I agree that he's not a lock but he has the ceiling and the talent to carry this offense.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 am

I remember finding that video when we signed him and thinking there was no way he uproots Murray, but he certainly would push him to be better.

At this point you have to think he's the favorite, because he's really the only guy on the roster that we have where we can use the same playbook more or less.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 am
I remember finding that video when we signed him and thinking there was no way he uproots Murray, but he certainly would push him to be better.

At this point you have to think he's the favorite, because he's really the only guy on the roster that we have where we can use the same playbook more or less.
Actually, that might be his only inside track, but Rovig also knows the playbook. It will come down to who has the best control of the offence.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 am
CelticCat wrote:

Actually, that might be his only inside track, but Rovig also knows the playbook. It will come down to who has the best control of the offence.
I've been a Rovig guy since he came out of high school, but to this date he has really under-impressed me.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 am
CelticCat wrote:

I've been a Rovig guy since he came out of high school, but to this date he has really under-impressed me.
This.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am

Unfortunately I have to agree, I was really high on Rovig when he signed him. But from all reports, his spring camp, in which he got a ton of reps, wasn't that impressive.

However I think we need to be careful about closing the book on a guy who only finished his second spring camp in college as a redshirt freshman. Remember, a solid QB in the FCS as a freshman is the exception not the norm. Some guys take more time to develop.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 am

People are harsh on Rovig. The kid is just now entering his second year, I’m not writing him off yet.

The norm at this level is not for someone to come in his first or second year and take the conference by storm, we’ve just been spoiled at times with guys coming in and tearing it up early. Prukop was in his 3rd year when he won the job.

It’s been stated that Rovig was battling a hand injury in spring ball too, so some of the issues Tjat have been brought up from this spring with accuracy and velocity may not be an issue going forward.