Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Post by gtapp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Can you imagine the ovation he is going to get in 2019 when he comes back, grades up, paid his dues? It will be a very special moment in MSU football and I hope I am there for it!!!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:41 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:37 pm
Can you imagine the ovation he is going to get in 2019 when he comes back, grades up, paid his dues? It will be a very special moment in MSU football and I hope I am there for it!!!!

:thumbup:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:37 pm
Nice post Gtapp. I'm hoping for the kid on all levels.

With respect to the 2019 team, it doesn't make a difference in my mind where on the field he's located and what conformist name we give to his position, he is extremely dangerous to our opponents. Speed kills. I hope he's there.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:29 pm

I think his message shows character, accountability and when he perseveres, battles and gets through this a better man, he'll show his toughness. Honestly it shows leadership.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 am

I’ll make it a priority to be at the game he returns. Even if he’s not on the field.

It will be a victory.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:38 am

Football star or not, I root for everyone who comes to MSU to get their degree. A lot of people can relate to struggling with college. Myself included. I graduated high school in 80, college in 88. 8-[

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:49 am

I'm rooting for Chris the person right now. Hopefully, I'll get to root for Chris the person and Chris the football player next year.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:36 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 am
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 am
Do we really think it’s grades? I’m guessing there is more to it. He probably got beat out buy one of the new guys and couldn’t handle it. I bet he transfers out.
You're kidding, right?
Murray is a great athlete but he is not a QB and while we have won some great games with him at QB, I believe that if we had a game manager that could make accurate short and deep passes and instead of running whenever his first look is not there because he is scared, we will finally break the hurdle and compete in the playoffs.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

I want nothing but the best for Chris and I hope he's able to commit himself and finish with what's important. Having said that, I think a lot of people here don't understand how extraordinarily difficult it is to return to college after an absence.

And that's before we narrow the discussion down to Chris's situation in particular where he's leaving Bozeman to return home (I assume, if he didn't mention that). Then a year or two from now he's going to pick everything up and return here, ostensibly as a walk on? Sorry, if he does return I just see us giving money to him after he didn't make the most of his first time.

It's possible, you never know. I just think it's the longest of long shots.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm
I want nothing but the best for Chris and I hope he's able to commit himself and finish with what's important. Having said that, I think a lot of people here don't understand how extraordinarily difficult it is to return to college after an absence.

And that's before we narrow the discussion down to Chris's situation in particular where he's leaving Bozeman to return home (I assume, if he didn't mention that). Then a year or two from now he's going to pick everything up and return here, ostensibly as a walk on? Sorry, if he does return I just see us giving money to him after he didn't make the most of his first time.

Year or two? He said he plans to be back spring semester.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Year or two? He said he plans to be back spring semester.
I know, but having been through it myself I can tell you returning to college is not as easy as putting out a tweet. Take a look at your own life. Did everything turn out the way you want on the exact timeline you planned? For some people that might be true, but for the other 98% of us things didn’t always go like we planned them.

As a man in my 40’s I’m a lot more realistic about things now than I was when I was Chris’s age.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm

As soon as I read the tweet, I got this sinking feeling that with Murray leaving MSU, he'll never be back. I'd love to have him back. I don't mean to be anti-Murray. But how often do guys leave and come back, vs. leaving and not coming back?

Anyway, I wish Murray the best no matter if he's here or elsewhere.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Since he won't be on-campus, this opens up a full scholarship for the fall, doesn't it? I'm guessing he will have to pay his own way next spring since he voluntarily left school.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm
As soon as I read the tweet, I got this sinking feeling that with Murray leaving MSU, he'll never be back. I'd love to have him back. I don't mean to be anti-Murray. But how often do guys leave and come back, vs. leaving and not coming back?

Anyway, I wish Murray the best no matter if he's here or elsewhere.
You’re right most guys that leave don’t come back. But most guys who leave don’t plan on coming back. So I wouldn’t put Murray in that group.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:36 pm
catatac wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 am
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 am
Do we really think it’s grades? I’m guessing there is more to it. He probably got beat out buy one of the new guys and couldn’t handle it. I bet he transfers out.
You're kidding, right?
Murray is a great athlete but he is not a QB and while we have won some great games with him at QB, I believe that if we had a game manager that could make accurate short and deep passes and instead of running whenever his first look is not there because he is scared, we will finally break the hurdle and compete in the playoffs.
Everything you just posted might be true, nobody knows for sure. However, that has nothing to do with the earlier post you made. He's taking some time off due to his grades, and that is fact.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 am

Leaving school completely for a semester seems counter productive in getting your grades back on track. I would suspect the odds of Murray coming back are pretty slim.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 am
Leaving school completely for a semester seems counter productive in getting your grades back on track. I would suspect the odds of Murray coming back are pretty slim.
I kind of had this same thought. If you're someone who is having academic issues as well as possible self discipline issues, I'm not sure taking self directed online classes away from your academic/social/personal support system is a great recipe for success. That said, I'm rooting for Chris and wish him the best.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 am

I’m thinking people in the athletic department outlined a path for Murray. Finances may be a factor.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 am

I think no matter what it was only a matter of time before we saw Murray out during the regular season due to one of 3 things, Injury, Illness or academics. I am amazed he did not already miss a game or part of a game due to injury as running QB's are more prone to that. The coaches have had a contingency for this the entire time he has been playing as they do for every position on the football team. The difference is we now have several more options to asses and an entire fall camp to get the next man up, and the 2nd and 3rd string set to move forward with this season. It may be that this year's starter is not going to be the same person who would have come off the bench first last year. I like the guys we have now competing for the starting job, as I think we have even more talent available then what we had last year. It is going to be really interesting to see who that person ends up being. The Bobcats are going to be a contender this year no matter what. It is going to be a good season to be a Bobcat! Good luck Chris and I hope to see you in a Bobcat uniform again next season.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:03 am

We have a four star and two three star QBs competing for the spot along with Beltran and Andersen.