Style Change at QB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Style Change at QB

Post by superbobcat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Is it just me or is the coaching philosophy of the type of Quarterback we are going to recruit changing from an under center and drop back style to a dual threat and run heavy concept? When Murray began to take control of the position, I wondered if the idea of bringing Rovig in would soon fade. In my mind it appears to doing just that. On one hand we have Murray, Jonsen, and now Beltran. On the other hand, we have Rovig and Bauman. Purely speculating, but I can see Bauman shifting to a TE, but Rovig, I can't see in the future plans. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

I was told Murray is struggleing with grades and has some summer work to do. Another individual told me that Jonsen is a great athlete, but has accuracy problems. I really like the dual threat concept and wonder how we will work QB's with different abilities on the field?

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Style Change at QB

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm
Is it just me or is the coaching philosophy of the type of Quarterback we are going to recruit changing from an under center and drop back style to a dual threat and run heavy concept? When Murray began to take control of the position, I wondered if the idea of bringing Rovig in would soon fade. In my mind it appears to doing just that. On one hand we have Murray, Jonsen, and now Beltran. On the other hand, we have Rovig and Bauman. Purely speculating, but I can see Bauman shifting to a TE, but Rovig, I can't see in the future plans. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

I was told Murray is struggleing with grades and has some summer work to do. Another individual told me that Jonsen is a great athlete, but has accuracy problems. I really like the dual threat concept and wonder how we will work QB's with different abilities on the field?
Maybe this is why one poster said Beltran would be starting by game 4.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 pm

I wouldn't count anybody out for QB.
Is this the 2nd or 3rd summer that Murray is rumored to need summer work for grades?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 pm
I wouldn't count anybody out for QB.
Is this the 2nd or 3rd summer that Murray is rumored to need summer work for grades?
At least the second.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:30 pm

superbobcat wrote:

Just for fun....Let's add Andersen in to the mix...Maybe just for fun...And for summer work-outs...

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Yep, heard that may be a possibility too. I like that idea the best!

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 pm

So it’s dejavu all over again

I hope that we can keep it classy this time

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:47 am

Isn't one of Rovig's big selling points his mobility. Not quite Murray but akin to Lulay.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

technoCat wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:47 am
Isn't one of Rovig's big selling points his mobility. Not quite Murray but akin to Lulay.
Rovig seems to be struggling to pick up the offense. This is just me opinion.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:10 am

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:30 pm
superbobcat wrote:

Just for fun....Let's add Andersen in to the mix...Maybe just for fun...And for summer work-outs...
Heard a little Chatter that may not be just for fun ?

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am

Just the fact that Andersen is working on his passing should scare defenses.
I like the fact that we can put 4 backs in the backfield that can pass the ball or have 3 of them run faster than at least 9 of the guys on defense. Add a couple of receivers that were High School QB's and snap....
Puts a huge wrinkle into the playbook if on the sweep, Murray, Natee, Andersen or others can step back and deliver a strike to our two new WR's speed threats. Run, Run, Run, oops a TD Pass.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:46 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am
Just the fact that Andersen is working on his passing should scare defenses.
I like the fact that we can put 4 backs in the backfield that can pass the ball or have 3 of them run faster than at least 9 of the guys on defense. Add a couple of receivers that were High School QB's and snap....
Puts a huge wrinkle into the playbook if on the sweep, Murray, Natee, Andersen or others can step back and deliver a strike to our two new WR's speed threats. Run, Run, Run, oops a TD Pass.
Exactly, the potential to put a defense in a bind, is there with all the X ball spinners in the backfield !

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Putting Andersen at QB is a waste.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Wildcat reps. I was surprised when he wasn’t doing that last year. Coaches probably didn’t want to put too much on his plate.

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:10 pm

If/when Murray is QB I don't think the defense changes much when/if Andersen would be QB. After all isn't a 'Wildcat' set something a team uses when they want to put someone at the QB position who is more of a running threat than their normal QB. I'd say Murray is about as good of a running threat at QB (or RB for that matter) there is. So I think when a team has a QB like Chris Murray, the advantage of having a Wildcat set is not as much as most other teams. However, I could see on short yardage situations that there may be a Wildcat formation with Natee at QB.....a different kind of running threat.

Although with Andersen being the athlete he is, I'm sure there are ways to make him effective if lined up at the QB position as well.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:25 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 pm
Wildcat reps. I was surprised when he wasn’t doing that last year. Coaches probably didn’t want to put too much on his plate.

Wildcat?!

Our QB is already more of a running threat than a passing threat. The wildcat doesn’t make any sense for us.

Just let the kid play one position. Don’t overthink it.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:25 pm
iaafan wrote:

Wildcat?!

Our QB is already more of a running threat than a passing threat. The wildcat doesn’t make any sense for us.

I was thinking more a long the lines of the Kevin Kassis pass for a Touch Down out of the Slot as I recall. Makes
a defense defend the pass on quick pitch and sweeps. We have the Ball Spinners for it in the backfield. The time
was right for Philly in the Super Bowl. Makes a Defense stay honest, not cheat, to stop the run and requires time
to prepare for ,even if we don't run something like that , if they know we can .

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:08 pm

I'm with 99 on this, however, I'm not opposed to Troy taking a few direct snaps. Perhaps the coaches are just trying to keep him sharp all-around. It doesnt make any sense to me to throw Troy in at Qb. Unless Murray isn't playing football anymore.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:25 pm
iaafan wrote:

Wildcat?!

I was thinking more a long the lines of the Kevin Kassis pass for a Touch Down out of the Slot as I recall. Makes
a defense defend the pass on quick pitch and sweeps. We have the Ball Spinners for it in the backfield. The time
was right for Philly in the Super Bowl. Makes a Defense stay honest, not cheat, to stop the run and requires time
to prepare for ,even if we don't run something like that , if they know we can .
Imma be blunt.

If Andersen is devoting any serious time passing the ball for a trick play or two, it’s a complete waste of his time.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:20 pm

So "as reported on egriz 1st" has become gospel?