2018 BSC prediction

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

2018 BSC prediction

Post by wapiti » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 am

How do you think the Big Sky Conference will finish the 2018 season?

Here is my guess:
Tier one: These team will be the best of the Big Sky and represent in the playoffs.
1 - EWU I think EWU bounces back from missing the playoffs last year.
2 - Idaho Hard to figure out where UI will finish, but dropping from FBS I figure they will be solid.
3 - UCDavis This team is flying under the radar and could surprise a few teams early in the season.
4 - MSU Choate is building a good team in Bozeman.

Tier Two: These team will be competitive, but fall short of the playoffs.
5 - UM Hauck is back, but the griz are rebuilding not reloading.
6 - Cal Poly CP shows improvement this year.
7 - Weber I predict a down year for the BBQ
8 - Sac St It's Sac state; how often are they competing to be a top team in the Big Sky?
9 - Idaho State New coach will be on his 2nd season, team should be starting to gel under new leadership.

Tier 3: The bottom dwellers this season.
10 - NAU The QB/WR play will keep NAU in games, but how much will last year's debacle in the playoffs effect then this year. (See how CP did after they lost to a Pioneer team)
11 - S. Utah SU is a every other year team. Last season was a good one, so this year, not so much.
12 - N Colo I am unsure of NC and had to put them somewhere, maybe they will surprise me.
13 - Portland State Need to win a game before they can move up.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 BSC prediction

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 am

wapiti wrote:How do you think the Big Sky Conference will finish the 2018 season?

Here is my guess:
Tier one: These team will be the best of the Big Sky and represent in the playoffs.
2 - Idaho Hard to figure out where UI will finish, but dropping from FBS I figure they will be solid.
3 - UCDavis This team is flying under the radar and could surprise a few teams early in the season.

8 - Sac St It's Sac state; how often are they competing to be a top team in the Big Sky?
9 - Idaho State New coach will be on his 2nd season, team should be starting to gel under new leadership.

10 - NAU The QB/WR play will keep NAU in games, but how much will last year's debacle in the playoffs effect then this year. (See how CP did after they lost to a Pioneer team)
11 - S. Utah SU is a every other year team. Last season was a good one, so this year, not so much.
12 - N Colo I am unsure of NC and had to put them somewhere, maybe they will surprise me.
I see NAU as tier 2.
Idaho state tier 3.
UI ABOUT 6 IN TIER 2.
MSU tops in BSC.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am

wapiti wrote:How do you think the Big Sky Conference will finish the 2018 season?

Here is my guess:

NAU- they are at least T2, probably T1.
EWU- in my opinion, they are the only clear cut T1 team.
There are so many teams that are a question mark, and could make the case for that T1 group.

It is pretty hard to predict these things, especially with how many teams are now in this conference.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 am

1 - EWU. I agree they bounce back this year, just too much talent not to.
2 - NAU. Go look at their schedule and then tell me they don't finish top 3 in the conference.
3 - MSU. Tough schedule again, but the defense will be great as will the running game. If the pass game improves, they will contend for the conf title.
4 - Idaho. Plenty of FBS talent on that team, they will be in the top third at least. They could contend for the title.
5 - Weber. Well coached but lost big talent this year. Cantwell's backup last year was not good.
6 - UCD. Davis was up and down last year but has a good coach and a great looking QB. They have the potential to surprise.
7 - SUU. I dont know enough about them to rank them fairly so i'll put them in the middle.
8 - um. Bobby will have them playing tough, but they're too thin on the O line and CB to contend in his first year. Definitely could surprise, though.
9 - ISU
10 - UNCU
11 - Sac St
12 - PSU
13 - Poly

Conference should be pretty deep this year. Really, anybody in the top 6-7 has the potential to win it with a few breaks and staying injury-free.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm

91catAlum wrote:1 - EWU. I agree they bounce back this year, just too much talent not to.
2 - NAU. Go look at their schedule and then tell me they don't finish top 3 in the conference.
3 - MSU. Tough schedule again, but the defense will be great as will the running game. If the pass game improves, they will contend for the conf title.
4 - Idaho. Plenty of FBS talent on that team, they will be in the top third at least. They could contend for the title.
5 - Weber. Well coached but lost big talent this year. Cantwell's backup last year was not good.
6 - UCD. Davis was up and down last year but has a good coach and a great looking QB. They have the potential to surprise.
7 - SUU. I dont know enough about them to rank them fairly so i'll put them in the middle.
8 - um. Bobby will have them playing tough, but they're too thin on the O line and CB to contend in his first year. Definitely could surprise, though.
9 - ISU
10 - UNCU
11 - Sac St
12 - PSU
13 - Poly

Conference should be pretty deep this year. Really, anybody in the top 6-7 has the potential to win it with a few breaks and staying injury-free.
This is much closer to what I'd predict. In no particular order, I'd break the tiers down like this:

Tier 1: EWU, MSU, Weber, NAU, UI
Tier 2: UI, Sac, SUU, UCD, UM.
Tier 3: Everyone else

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 pm

1. MSU
2. All the rest.
When I dream, I dream big.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:20 pm

After running through the entire conference schedule here's what I get for win-loss records.
NAU 7-1
WSU 7-1
EWU 7-1
MSU 7-1
Idaho 5-3
UC Davis 5-3
SUU 4-4
UM 3-5
ISU 2-6
SAC 2-6
UNC 2-6
PSU 1-7
CP 0-8

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:31 pm

91catAlum wrote:1 - EWU. I agree they bounce back this year, just too much talent not to.
9 - ISU
10 - UNCU
11 - Sac St
12 - PSU
13 - Poly

Agree when I read the OP I said to myself he has no idea about NAUs schedule. Couple that with the fact that Cookus has NFL caliber Butler back at WR and this team has the easiest path to a conference title.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 pm

I predict that it won’t take long for Hauck to realize that this isn’t the same conference he coached against 10 years ago. The Big Sky will be tough and there are several teams that will have a chance to win the conference.

Punters are people too!!

Catgotmytung
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catgotmytung » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:25 am

Athlon Sports in its early rankings rank Sac State #23. I'm not seeing that kind of respect in these posts. Of course they also rank Montana #18 - I guess their reputation precedes them. They rank Weber State #9 and Eastern Washington #6. I'm not seeing the high rankings for Weber State in these posts this year. I am really excited about this season as I think numerous teams are in the mix - including SUU, Idaho, MSU, UM, EWU, WSU, Sac State, and even UCD. Yes, UCD has a strong quarterback and top notch receiver and a top notch coach who brought them out of the cellar quickly last year in his first year - he will do more this year. We will see a lot of upsets this year - too many solid teams.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 am

catatac wrote:
9 - ISU
10 - UNCU
11 - Sac St
12 - PSU
13 - Poly

This is much closer to what I'd predict. In no particular order, I'd break the tiers down like this:

I agree with those picks as well. That will be pretty close to how it ends up I bet.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:04 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
catatac wrote:
9 - ISU
10 - UNCU
11 - Sac St
12 - PSU
13 - Poly

I agree with those picks as well. That will be pretty close to how it ends up I bet.
And yes I was waffling on UI so they ended up (accidentally) in tier 1 and tier 2. :lol:

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 am

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm

1. EWU. Because they are good.
2. Idaho. Playing with an FBS roster
3. Sac State. Best secondary hands down. Experienced OL. One of top QB's in the BSC.
4. NAU. Home schedule advantage
5. MSU. One more year until greatness.
6. Weber State
7. So Utah
8. Davis
9. um
10. CP
11. ISU
12. NC
13 PSU

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:06 pm

But how about BSC playoff contenders?
1. MSU
2. EWU
3. Weber
4. NAU but not past first game.
5. CP
6. UI

GoBears
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GoBears » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:20 pm
After running through the entire conference schedule here's what I get for win-loss records.
NAU 7-1
WSU 7-1
EWU 7-1
MSU 7-1
Idaho 5-3
UC Davis 5-3
SUU 4-4
UM 3-5
ISU 2-6
SAC 2-6
UNC 2-6
PSU 1-7
CP 0-8
I highly doubt the Bears go 2-6. There is way too much talent and the schedule is perfect for a winning season.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am

GoBears wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
NAU 7-1
WSU 7-1
EWU 7-1
MSU 7-1
Idaho 5-3
UC Davis 5-3
SUU 4-4
UM 3-5
ISU 2-6
SAC 2-6
UNC 2-6
PSU 1-7
CP 0-8
I highly doubt the Bears go 2-6. There is way too much talent and the schedule is perfect for a winning season.
It looks like you're league games are at Weber, PSU, SUU, and MSU. Home games UND, UCD, NAU, and EWU, but correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure how that's a perfect schedule for a winning season, it looks pretty tough to me.

GoBears
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GoBears » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am
GoBears wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
NAU 7-1
WSU 7-1
EWU 7-1
MSU 7-1
Idaho 5-3
UC Davis 5-3
SUU 4-4
UM 3-5
ISU 2-6
SAC 2-6
UNC 2-6
PSU 1-7
CP 0-8
It looks like you're league games are at Weber, PSU, SUU, and MSU. Home games UND, UCD, NAU, and EWU, but correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure how that's a perfect schedule for a winning season, it looks pretty tough to me.

I can see wins against MSU, PSU, NAU, UND, McNeese, USD, Sac State, and UC Davis.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:05 pm

My prediction for next season....no one knows anything.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 pm

VimSince03

My prediction for next season....no one knows anything.

Oh it's a sad day in Whoville when our grand illustrious leader won't tell us his predictions. Please speak with Yoda and impart your wisdom, we are all waiting,wanting to know.