Coach Cole and the QBs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Coach Cole and the QBs

Post by imacat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Coach Cole and the QBs

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 pm

imacat wrote:From the Billings Gazette ...

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/coll ... user-share
From the article:
Murray showed flashes in 2017, putting up big passing stats against the likes of South Dakota State and North Dakota. But the Bobcats actually completed fewer throws and had fewer yards last year than the season before.

Where did he get this number?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Montanabob wrote:

From the article:
Murray showed flashes in 2017, putting up big passing stats against the likes of South Dakota State and North Dakota. But the Bobcats actually completed fewer throws and had fewer yards last year than the season before.

From the BSC stats. It’s correct, but confusing because he started out talking about Murray, who improved across the board, and then talked about the team. MSU also played a tougher schedule in 2017.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Montanabob wrote:

From the article:

I'm guessing Bruggman stats are included in the year before.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

From the article:

I'm guessing Bruggman stats are included in the year before.
Yes, bruggman and anyone else who threw a pass.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Coach Cole and the QBs

Post by imacat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Choate is using some serious double speak when he says the Bobcats have not had a serious quarterback competition since he got here ... Murray was just handed the job. Go back and read what he (Choate) was saying about Bruggman when he was recruited, in his first spring and in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 am

Bob Cole on Murray:
“I’ve been around the block a few times and I’ve looked at a lot of different quarterbacks. He throws the ball a lot better than people think he does.”

In the 2016 SAC game he had three would-be TD passes dropped. Two on the same drive.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 am

iaafan wrote:Bob Cole on Murray:
“I’ve been around the block a few times and I’ve looked at a lot of different quarterbacks. He throws the ball a lot better than people think he does.”

In the 2016 SAC game he had three would-be TD passes dropped. Two on the same drive.
So much this. He has a really smooth delivery. Needs work on his footwork. Needs to make decisions faster. Hopefully Cole will help with this.

I'm just so tired of people dogging him for not putting up huge passing numbers. We won a game that he completed 2 passes in. 2! If he can get wins who cares how he gets them. I remember Bobcat teams recently that would throw all over the field but once we got to the big games and needed to pound the rock they couldn't do it and that was complained about ad nauseum.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:33 am

imacat wrote:Choate is using some serious double speak when he says the Bobcats have not had a serious quarterback competition since he got here ... Murray was just handed the job. Go back and read what he (Choate) was saying about Bruggman when he was recruited, in his first spring and in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He’s kinda right though.

Bruggman more lost the job than Murray won it.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 am

technoCat wrote:

So much this. He has a really smooth delivery. Needs work on his footwork. Needs to make decisions faster. Hopefully Cole will help with this.

I'm just so tired of people dogging him for not putting up huge passing numbers. We won a game that he completed 2 passes in. 2! If he can get wins who cares how he gets them. I remember Bobcat teams recently that would throw all over the field but once we got to the big games and needed to pound the rock they couldn't do it and that was complained about ad nauseum.

We also lost a game where he threw for over 311 and ran for over 100... and though it was a loss, I loved that games unveiling of his potential. Not sure what or why that was not a trend...but IF we can get the issues fixed he is world class....if not, we are a 500% team talking about "what if?" ! That's NOT ragging on a guy...I love him, it's a fact even the Coach reiterates constantly!!! :coffee:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Is having a good qb a key to success? Yes.
Is the qb position the most important in football? Yes.
Does a qb need to have big pass numbers to win? Absolutely not.

Philadelphia just won SB with backup Foles. Two years before that the Broncos with a dilapidated Peyton Manning. Ravens won with Flacco, Tampa with Johnson, Ravens with Dilfer. Same is true in college. The teams on that list all won primarily with great defenses and good running attacks.

The defense played big rolls in most of the losses last year. Special teams did their share. Plenty of blame to go around.

Murray has plenty of room for improvement. But like I posted yesterday, he’s clearly doing just that. He may not be lights out passing this year, but I think he’ll be above average and do more than his share. If he gets beat out then, like Choate said, that’s good for the Bobcats.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:00 am

Coach Cole is correct here and it's encouraging to see this newly hired coach acknowledge this in Murray. This general observation is in line with what I've been saying on this board for over the past year or so now.

The number of Murray doubters on this board is frankly odd and is indicative of the general low level football IQ of the average Bobcat fan in our current state. Just gotta be honest on that, fam. Don't shoot the benevolent messenger. I'm hoping this improves over time & I think it will as the Choate Era marches onward successfully.

The Murray doubters will all but vanish half way into this upcoming season.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:35 am

I would love to see the defensive scrambling if you put jonson at QB, Nattee at FB and a couple of running backs named Murray and Andersen.

All four can pass

And two have blazing speed.

Solid offensive line.

Just saying.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:

Coach Cole is correct here and it's encouraging to see this newly hired coach acknowledge this in Murray. This general observation is in line with what I've been saying on this board for over the past year or so now.

The number of Murray doubters on this board is frankly odd and is indicative of the general low level football IQ of the average Bobcat fan in our current state. Just gotta be honest on that, fam. Don't shoot the benevolent messenger. I'm hoping this improves over time & I think it will as the Choate Era marches onward successfully.

Well at least the low IQ fans have eyes! Murray had TWO good passing games last year, And many of the throws he did complete were only caught because Johnson and Herbert made great adjustments and have great hands. As everyone including the coaches have pointed out, Murray is slow to make reads, makes the wrong reads and is not accurate. He threw for 120 yards a game last year. Maybe we can win with defense and running BUT then why is Choate bringing in all these QB's and a new passing game coordinator? Murray may be the best running QB I have ever seen but as far as throwing the ball, NO. Will he get better. We all hope he does and we all expect he will. But until he does don't start comparing him to Joe Montana. And one other point to keep in mind, our two best receivers and about 75% of our receiving yards in 2017 are not playing this year. So for Murray to get better he will need help from someone.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am

“Chris has been occasionally exceptional but he hasn’t been consistently where we need him to be to be a championship team,” Choate said.

“If Travis Jonsen ends up being our quarterback it’s because he beat Chris out, and that’s good for the Bobcats. If Chris ends up being our quarterback that means he held off the competition and improved, and that’s good for the Bobcats.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:43 am

Gotta be honest here. You must be one of them. Nobody doubted his ability to throw the ball or his arm strength. He has a very nice motion. Unfortunately, he has not shown the ability to read a defense or progress through his reads. He basically never uses the middle of the field. Everything is to the outside, and he has predetermined where he is going with it. If he can make the jump and become better at that, he will be an elite quarterback. I am optimistic but also realistic. The great ones are great at reading defenses from the time they step on the field. Look at Mcghee and Lulay or any of the really good quarterbacks. They had no experience but had that ability from day 1 as freshmen. Has nothing to do with age now. However, I am very hopeful he can make the jump and believe he is a top level quarterback in the big sky.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 am

Hawks86 wrote:
“Chris has been occasionally exceptional but he hasn’t been consistently where we need him to be to be a championship team,” Choate said.

“If Travis Jonsen ends up being our quarterback it’s because he beat Chris out, and that’s good for the Bobcats. If Chris ends up being our quarterback that means he held off the competition and improved, and that’s good for the Bobcats.
:goodpost:

As SOME have been saying all along...!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 am

The problem I have with the criticism of Murray is that I feel like he hasn't been afforded the slack that past QBs have. The guy is a freshman of the year in the big sky playing like 5 games. He has beat the Griz twice in two tries. He has made us competitive against some very good teams. He started as a 17 year old freshman and has consistently shown improvement. And yet people are looking everywhere they possibly can for his replacement. Move him to WR!! Let Jonsen(who hasn't shown anything) or Rovig(who's shown nearly nothing) start, they can pass! It would have been blasphemy if anyone had suggested the same about Lulay, McGhee or Prukop.

We all know that he needs to get a little more consistent if we want to win on the big stage but man let the dead horse lay for a bit...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:18 am

technoCat wrote:The problem I have with the criticism of Murray is that I feel like he hasn't been afforded the slack that past QBs have. The guy is a freshman of the year in the big sky playing like 5 games. He has beat the Griz twice in two tries. He has made us competitive against some very good teams. He started as a 17 year old freshman and has consistently shown improvement. And yet people are looking everywhere they possibly can for his replacement. Move him to WR!! Let Jonsen(who hasn't shown anything) or Rovig(who's shown nearly nothing) start, they can pass! It would have been blasphemy if anyone had suggested the same about Lulay, McGhee or Prukop.

We all know that he needs to get a little more consistent if we want to win on the big stage but man let the dead horse lay for a bit...
agreed.

I thought he showed some pretty big improvements last year. If he can make a similar jump this year, that should be good enough to get this team to the playoffs. I have always been a fan, not sure why a lot of people are so hard on him. He was put in a very difficult situation to start his career (as an inexperienced true freshman). If this team would have been in a "normal" situation at QB, Murray would be going into his redshirt soph year this fall, looking to get his first real playing time.

Anyway... I'm excited to see what he can do this year!

FTG- GO CATS GO!