Players gone from 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Players gone from 2017

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Got word today that Peppenger was injured in the North Dakota game. Torn labrum and hamstring pull (I think after ND game). So he may be a medical retire. Although I thought someone said he’s at Tech. ???
He really got hammered on the onside kick at NAU, and was down on the turf for a while, are you sure it wasn't that game?
As sure as it’s Taco Tuesday!

Yeah, he left the team last January.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 am

Spam Bump

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am

AFCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Got word today that Peppenger was injured in the North Dakota game. Torn labrum and hamstring pull (I think after ND game). So he may be a medical retire. Although I thought someone said he’s at Tech. ???
He really got hammered on the onside kick at NAU, and was down on the turf for a while, are you sure it wasn't that game?
As sure as it’s Taco Tuesday!

Yeah, he left the team last January.
I was told he is or already has joined the Griz as a PWO kicker. Will try to confirm.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm

https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ/status/1009194060022595584

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ/status/1009194060022595584
So if he was a walk on with no scholarship money, he'll most likely (a couple of other wickets to check) start playing this fall with no reason to request a waiver to play right away. Good that the OLB's that aren't given scholarships can start at ISU, bad if he comes back to haunt us... :)

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Montanabob wrote:
So if he was a walk on with no scholarship money, he'll most likely (a couple of other wickets to check) start playing this fall with no reason to request a waiver to play right away. Good that the OLB's that aren't given scholarships can start at ISU, bad if he comes back to haunt us... :)
https://twitter.com/MGuernsey_ISJ/status/1009204924209512449

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:43 pm

Harry, what’s happening!!

If your left, you aren’t right.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:01 am

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 pm
Not to be a dick, but how did University of Utah become a landing spot for MSU washouts?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:04 am

The biggest question is how come some guys on our roster end up playing at a higher level after their time at MSU? Strong, Vander, and then I'll even put Keeton in there as he was pretty pedestrian during his time at MSU and he ends up in the NFL. You almost have to put this one on the coaches, either not coaching a guy up to play to his abilities or not getting him to buy into the system so he becomes disenfranchised, both are coaching.

I'm curious if Vander got a scholly or is just walking on.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 am

Strong was a walk-on at Utah and I haven't seen anywhere that he got a scholarship or made the two-deep.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:18 am

I think you have to put some blame on the coaches for sure, but I also think these kids play a big part in it to. From talking to fans, players, and parents of players it was quite obvious that when Strong was here he lacked motivation and effort. Towards the end he wasn't playing hard and was turning into a distraction in the locker room. He leaves to Utah and knows he has to give it a 100 percent every time whether its in a game or at practice and look what happens, he will probably see some playing time this year. I think the same could be said about Vander, he lacked effort and drive last year and now he is getting another chance and I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some playing time for the Utah. You just wish the outcome for MSU could have been better, whether that be the coaches easing up on the kids or the kids learning to play through adversity and bring it a 100% every second of every practice or game.

If your left, you aren’t right.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am

The way I see it is we’re getting talent to replace FBS talent instead of NAIA and D2 talent. I hope Vander and Strong do well because that means they’re good, but the guys we brought in to replace them ar better. No one to blame or be upset with. It’s just the nature of the business.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:33 am

I feel it is all about personality and fit. It appeared to me that Strong and Vander just did not fit the mold and attitude we were looking for. I would guess the personality of the Utah staff meets their individual needs better and allows them the confidence to better perform. It is part of the game and I wish them the best.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm

About a year ago, I caught up with Tre'Von Strong and DeMonte King (Arizona State) about this exact subject.

Trio of former Bobcat DBs earn shot at higher levels
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcat-dbs-move-up/

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:18 am
I think you have to put some blame on the coaches for sure, but I also think these kids play a big part in it to. From talking to fans, players, and parents of players it was quite obvious that when Strong was here he lacked motivation and effort. Towards the end he wasn't playing hard and was turning into a distraction in the locker room. He leaves to Utah and knows he has to give it a 100 percent every time whether its in a game or at practice and look what happens, he will probably see some playing time this year. I think the same could be said about Vander, he lacked effort and drive last year and now he is getting another chance and I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some playing time for the Utah. You just wish the outcome for MSU could have been better, whether that be the coaches easing up on the kids or the kids learning to play through adversity and bring it a 100% every second of every practice or game.
Vander may see some time, but I doubt it. Zach Moss will be the feature back and Devonta'e Henry Cole will be the #2 same as last year. Plus their QBs ran it about 20 times a game last year and they have 2 JC transfers coming in at the position and a homegrown power back. If he plays that would be awesome but I'm not so sure.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:17 am

Brooks Nuanez nailed it from his spring preview last year. Flat out said that Vander was a guy that if he wasn’t getting the touches he thought he deserved, he was gonna be gone.

I’m fine with that. Some guys are all in on the team, and some guys aren’t. Those who aren’t, they can go.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I was nearby the running backs group in the position periods before a spring game during Vander's first spring in Bozeman, and I clearly remember Pitre screaming during an agility drill. Turns out only Vander could do the drill correctly and Pitre called for him to do it again so everyone else could see it. I saw a few moments in games where he looked like our best back hands down. He's a very good football player.

Separately but maybe related, I heard an assistant coach at a fundraiser say they finally have a locker room that's fully bought in. Like 99 mentioned, I also think Brooks was correct in alluding to Vander not being a team guy.

In the end, I'm simultaneously not surprised Vander ended up at Utah with a chance to compete, but also not sorry to see him leave.

SpeedCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SpeedCAT » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:19 am

I agree with Blue on Vander’s prospects at Utah. I follow ASU closely, and by the time Utah played ASU last year, Utah had suffered so many injuries at the running back position, they were playing a guy that had left the team and “un-retired”. I’m sure the Utah coaches don’t want to find themselves in that position again, so a guy like Vander makes sense. Moss is one of the better backs in the PAC. Cole is good too. Absent injuries, think Vander will have a tough time seeing the field. Just doesn’t have the 5th gear necessary for the PAC.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:59 am

My guess as to why Vander left, two words: Troy Anderson

Vander knew he was going to be Troy's backup going forward, and not being a "team" player he moved on.

One way to look at this- it's pretty impressive that our backup RB (assumed), is good enough to play for Utah. The talent level on this team is definitely trending upward.
Last edited by mslacatfan on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTG- GO CATS GO!