Players gone from 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Players gone from 2017

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 pm

With a few players leaving recently, it got me thinking of who all is gone from last years team, whether it’s graduation, transfer, etc. It looks like there are 30+ kids coming in next year, by this list it looks like there are just about that many that are no longer on the team.

I’m going off of memory and a few recent posts, feel free to correct me or add to it, I can update this post with other names if needed.

Seniors (17):
Justin Paige
Mitch Herbert
Nick LaSane
Dylan Mahoney
Caleb Gillis
Mac Bignell
Bryson McCabe
Khari Garcia
Bryce Alley
West Wilson
Jakob McCarthy
Lukas McCarthy
Brandon Hayashi
Fou Polataivio
Braelen Evans
Wade Webster
Rocky Hogue

Transfer/Retire/Other (20):
Jake Roper
Ed Vander
Brady McChesney
Noah James
Sean Opland
Gabe Peppenger
Will Martel
Jaxen Hashley
Jackson Mcleery
Kapili Livingston-Lopez
Adam Jordt
Anthony Pegues
Luke Daly
Ben Folsom
Koni Dole
Keon Stephens
Nick Van Horssen
Kamden Brown
Jake McFetridge
Conor Floden
Last edited by Catsrgrood on Sat May 19, 2018 11:06 am, edited 6 times in total.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Players gone from 2017

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 am

Lukas McCarthy? I think that incident happened just before games started and surely he held a scholarship at that time, at least.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Players gone from 2017

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 18, 2018 7:23 am

Koni Dole and Luke Daly. Dole quit in September if I remember correctly.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 am

I believe that Ben Folsom retired sometime after the end of last season,

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Added

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Wade Webster. Didn't he have one more year of eligibility but graduated on time and "retired"?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Keon Stephens and Cam Sutton. Both those guys were lost in the summer I beleive. Cam might have been earlier.

Gardenhire and Hale in the late Spring.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:Keon Stephens and Cam Sutton. Both those guys were lost in the summer I beleive. Cam might have been earlier.

I was just planning on listing players that were a part of the roster at least at the start of fall camp of the 2017 season. I think those guys were all gone before then.
It’s all water under the bridge now, by a long shot, but I would have loved to have seen Gardenhire and Hale as the two starting corners this year as seniors with all young guys coming up filling out the 2 deep. Oh well, there is a lot of young talent at that position right now to look forward to.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
AFCAT wrote:Keon Stephens and Cam Sutton. Both those guys were lost in the summer I beleive. Cam might have been earlier.

I was just planning on listing players that were a part of the roster at least at the start of fall camp of the 2017 season. I think those guys were all gone before then.
It’s all water under the bridge now, by a long shot, but I would have loved to have seen Gardenhire and Hale as the two starting corners this year as seniors with all young guys coming up filling out the 2 deep. Oh well, there is a lot of young talent at that position right now to look forward to.

Stephens was caught in the big fight at the end of August and was off the team around the same time..

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat May 19, 2018 9:27 am

You’re right Afcat, I was thinking he was gone before that. I’ll add him.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:00 am

Kamden Brown
Nich Van Horssen
Jake McFetridge
Connor Floden

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat May 19, 2018 11:08 am

Hawks86 wrote:Kamden Brown
Nich Van Horssen
Jake McFetridge
Connor Floden
Thanks, added.
This list is a little longer than I was thinking it would be. I know that’s a part of college football, so I’m not suggesting this a bad thing or somethings going on. Just the facts.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue May 29, 2018 9:41 am

This is very eye opening to me. 37 players gone in the last year. It may be normal but it certainly helps me understand the importance and the challenges of recruiting. Add to this list the inevitable injuries that occur and it makes what NDSU has done even more impressive. The Cats have a ways to go but I think they're getting there.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Nich Van Horssen
Jake McFetridge
Connor Floden
Thanks, added.
This list is a little longer than I was thinking it would be. I know that’s a part of college football, so I’m not suggesting this a bad thing or somethings going on. Just the facts.
Just a by-product of Choate developing the roster he wants. A lot of these players were cut, retired due to injury, retired due to playing time concerns, or just quit the team. A few were excused from the team for disciplinary reasons. Overall, who would you take off or replace on the current 95 man roster with players from this list? That is where the discussion should be.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue May 29, 2018 1:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
Nich Van Horssen
Jake McFetridge
Connor Floden
Thanks, added.
Just a by-product of Choate developing the roster he wants. A lot of these players were cut, retired due to injury, retired due to playing time concerns, or just quit the team. A few were excused from the team for disciplinary reasons. Overall, who would you take off or replace on the current 95 man roster with players from this list? That is where the discussion should be.
Makes sense. I think it’s a good thing, it’s getting harder and harder to make the team, which is obviously due to the talent level continuing to go up and the bar being raised.

As to your question, my list would be small. I would have liked to see Vander finish out here, I liked what he could do when healthy. I know there are some potential studs coming in this next class, so this isn’t a huge loss.
Jake Roper would have been fun to see, but again, not a huge loss since he never actually suited up for a game.
And the last would be Hashley, I was looking forward to seeing him out there.
2 of my 3 are due to injuries, and those are what they are.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm

I know he isn't technically on this list, but I would have liked Cam Sutton to have stuck around. I was always intrigued by Pegues and would have loved to see him get the ball a few times in a game. McCleery was a good special team player last year.

If we could keep ANYONE on the list, then Bignell would obviously be my top pick.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
Nich Van Horssen
Jake McFetridge
Connor Floden
Thanks, added.
Absolutely. There are some players we'll miss out of the graduating Seniors, but that's how it goes. other than that list... not much impact there.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Got word today that Peppenger was injured in the North Dakota game. Torn labrum and hamstring pull (I think after ND game). So he may be a medical retire. Although I thought someone said he’s at Tech. ???

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Got word today that Peppenger was injured in the North Dakota game. Torn labrum and hamstring pull (I think after ND game). So he may be a medical retire. Although I thought someone said he’s at Tech. ???
He really got hammered on the onside kick at NAU, and was down on the turf for a while, are you sure it wasn't that game?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:59 pm

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Got word today that Peppenger was injured in the North Dakota game. Torn labrum and hamstring pull (I think after ND game). So he may be a medical retire. Although I thought someone said he’s at Tech. ???
He really got hammered on the onside kick at NAU, and was down on the turf for a while, are you sure it wasn't that game?
As sure as it’s Taco Tuesday!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber