Anybody out there?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Anybody out there?

Post by kmax » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 am

I've responded to catsrgood directly but I will answer here as well.

First off, let me just say that I completely understand the frustration of everyone about the spam posts. The short answer on why they stay up a bit longer than they should is exactly what you guys have already mentioned, the three of us have gotten busy with life and just aren't on here as much particularly in the offseason. That's not an excuse, it's just the facts. Yes we have actually discussed trying to pull in a few people that we know and trust to have mod permissions. This is something that historically we have shied away from because we had a particular vision for the board that we felt it best for us to maintain, but we recognize that at this point we no longer have the time to give to do that. That said, we are holding off on doing so because....

The second part of the problem is that this board and system are horribly out of date and need to be updated. Moderation tasks right now due to a number of issues just aren't easy and straightforward unfortunately. Anyone on the board this morning as I was working to clear out the spam and saw the board go offline and even be unresponsive a couple of times got a first hand look at some of what I mean. Unfortunately, the little quirks that the three of us have learned to deal with and work through is just not a place to bring in someone new to be a moderator. The board and system upgrade is in process, but it isn't completed yet as it is my project when I can get time away from work, family and other bigger commitments. Once we can get that work done and ensure that everything is running right then hopefully we can bring in some people to help with the day to day type of things like this.

Again, I want to reiterate that I understand the frustration and I know that we have not been doing a good enough job. Please remember that this board is a hobby for us, a passion project that we started a long time ago and have always provided to the Bobcat community completely free of charge. I know that doesn't change the situation but I hope that it does give a little bit of perspective.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 am

77matcat wrote:Lots of bumps 76. Could be the mumps.

[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was "bumping" to get Bobcat posts up above the spam.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:09 am

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:32 pm

kmax wrote:I've responded to catsrgood directly but I will answer here as well.

First off, let me just say that I completely understand the frustration of everyone about the spam posts. The short answer on why they stay up a bit longer than they should is exactly what you guys have already mentioned, the three of us have gotten busy with life and just aren't on here as much particularly in the offseason. That's not an excuse, it's just the facts. Yes we have actually discussed trying to pull in a few people that we know and trust to have mod permissions. This is something that historically we have shied away from because we had a particular vision for the board that we felt it best for us to maintain, but we recognize that at this point we no longer have the time to give to do that. That said, we are holding off on doing so because....

The second part of the problem is that this board and system are horribly out of date and need to be updated. Moderation tasks right now due to a number of issues just aren't easy and straightforward unfortunately. Anyone on the board this morning as I was working to clear out the spam and saw the board go offline and even be unresponsive a couple of times got a first hand look at some of what I mean. Unfortunately, the little quirks that the three of us have learned to deal with and work through is just not a place to bring in someone new to be a moderator. The board and system upgrade is in process, but it isn't completed yet as it is my project when I can get time away from work, family and other bigger commitments. Once we can get that work done and ensure that everything is running right then hopefully we can bring in some people to help with the day to day type of things like this.

Again, I want to reiterate that I understand the frustration and I know that we have not been doing a good enough job. Please remember that this board is a hobby for us, a passion project that we started a long time ago and have always provided to the Bobcat community completely free of charge. I know that doesn't change the situation but I hope that it does give a little bit of perspective.
Thanks for your service! I know I wouldn't have time to do it but I'm glad we have the forum.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:33 am

The Big Meowski wrote:Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
I may have dated her when she was Vera Welch. :-k

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:04 am

kmax wrote:I've responded to catsrgood directly but I will answer here as well.

Thanks for the input. While the spam posts are annoying, I for one appreciate and agree with your decision to not "over-moderate" this board. All too often message boards can be brought down by moderators who think it's all about them and their egos and make decisions to suit themselves instead of to benefit the whole membership of the board, which hasn't happened here.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 am

Bump

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Bump
You know marking posts as spam brings attention to the moderators a lot faster than bumping a thread. Just saying.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am

And its working really well, just sayin' bump. ](*,)

FTG

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:And its working really well, just sayin' bump. ](*,)
Damn those mods for not spending every free minute of their life on this board. DAMN THEM! They should have caught those spam posts when they showed up at 2am.

BUMP

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am

Ha! good one! I see your bump and raise you 3 bumps....

FTG

KHaslam
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by KHaslam » Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Great job cleaning up the spam!

I can't stand that stuff myself, well hope you have a great summer. Cheers =D^

Don't take my word for it, take the Missoulians!