Is Choate putting to much emphasis on the defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Is Choate putting to much emphasis on the defense?

Post by 95bcfb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 pm

I don't know the answer to this question but when I look at the depth on defense I have to wonder if we are too deep there? Are we investing to many scholarships on the defensive side of the ball at the expense of the offense? I am excited about the recent recruits but I think we need a running back and a wide receiver more. I know people say we can't get a good wide receiver with the offense we have but if that is the case then how are we ever supposed to get better on offense? I know we win championships with defense but you do have to have some offense as well. Wasn't Opland a really good running back? Maybe we should move him back to RB. I know that the coaches have brought in offensive guys as well but man we seem to be stacked at LB to the point where there are going to be some pretty good athletes sitting on the bench.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Is Choate putting to much emphasis on the defense?

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:54 pm

No. He’s put as much emphasis on the offense as the defense in terms of recruiting and coaching.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 pm

I get the reason for the question, but I have to say that we have needed to develop this depth on the defensive side of the ball for a long time. Last year, even though the defence was much better than previous years, it was cobbled together. We did very well for who and what we had, but we were thin. With this off season, we have stocked the shelves at most positions. Our defence has GOT TO BE STOUT and fresh all year long because as we have seen, 3rd downs and red zone D has been spotty at best...and is our weakness. Change that, and we win a couple more games even with the offence we have.

Regarding the offence, we will only go as far as our QB will take us. Bottom line is that Chris Murray is our QB for the near future and he will always be a huge threat with his feet. He is the leading rusher for a reason. Our passing game is...not good, ok, inconsistent, and will only rise and fall on Murrays development which I see has almost maximised. Can he improve? Of course! Will he become a gunslinger? No! I agree that we need a tall receiver ala Jabarri Johnson-ish, and it would be great to land another RB. I think we will see one of each before Fall comes in.

We will ride our defence this year, with the hope and expectation that our offence can become more productive in the redzone.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 pm

No matter what coach does, somehow someone will take exception with it.

We seriously have a thread about if we are too stacked on defense. :roll:

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 pm

No. If the coaches utilize the deep quality defensive talent on this team they way they should, there will be plenty of reps for the 2 deep and deeper at many positions.

Just because they have been more successful at bringing in more great recruits on D than on O doesn't mean they aren't committed to and still working toward adding O talent.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

Of the star-rated players signed 9 are on offense, 7 on defense. Two GPOYs on offense.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 am

Execution,Turn over Ratio, Special teams. We get those areas dialed ~ The present Talent level
will take care of the rest on both sides of the ball :arrow: IMO

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 am

I don't think anyone would dispute that there are positions on defense where the #2's are likely correspondingly better than the #1's on offense. I'm thinking in particular to LB's vs WR's (since Jabarri got hurt). If we could give up one of our very very talented LB's for a very very talented Big WR would I....YOU BET.

If we get a solid replacement to join the team this fall to take Jabarri's place it will definitely help equal things out. As of right now, there is no doubt in my mind that the defense is deeper than the offense. However, because I think the OL is very talented & deep, it not by a lot.

As Vim has stated, they are pursuing another WR.....I wish them the best of luck. GO CATS!

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am

Simple answer is: No.

Very good to dominant defensively and solid offense is the best case scenario this year and would get the Cats in the hunt to win the conference and/or get into the playoffs. Get a home playoff game and win. That is as high as my expectations are this year for the Cats in Choate’s third year.

I think that’s a reasonable expectation without going over the top and also not setting the bar too low. It’s time for this team to win some of those close games and start to put this together. On paper, it looks like that is what’s happening and what I think will happen.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:57 am

He is creating competition, it is not about who is starting it is now about how you play when you get on the field. If the other team can't score, then they can't win. If one player goes down, then it is next man up. I think Coach is putting a lot on Coach Ty's plate and saying here are all the tools, make it happen. I like that.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am

Remember that the majority of players on kick and punt returns are lbs.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 am

superbobcat wrote:He is creating competition, it is not about who is starting it is now about how you play when you get on the field. If the other team can't score, then they can't win. If one player goes down, then it is next man up. I think Coach is putting a lot on Coach Ty's plate and saying here are all the tools, make it happen. I like that.
I think we may see some attrition in the offseason as well from the defense. Not sure if it will be any scholly guys though. Vim knows these things.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 am

Is it possible to put too much of an emphasis on defense? No. No. And no.

Just wait. This defense will win us games.

Guys who were starters will be coming off the bench. That is sweet, seeet music to my ears. Our depth is phenomenal.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:00 pm

If there were one thing that Choate needs to really work on, it is the get back coaching. In my opinion this is an urgent need that can only be solved with diligent oversight.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

allcat wrote:If there were one thing that Choate needs to really work on, it is the get back coaching. In my opinion this is an urgent need that can only be solved with diligent oversight.
Help me out with the ( get back coaching ) sidelines , defensive backs, Special teams ? Not sure what you mean ? I'm
just a simple Cowboy :D

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
allcat wrote:If there were one thing that Choate needs to really work on, it is the get back coaching. In my opinion this is an urgent need that can only be solved with diligent oversight.
Help me out with the ( get back coaching ) sidelines , defensive backs, Special teams ? Not sure what you mean ? I'm
I think it's YOU GUYS GET BACK! or we're going to get a sideline penalty.

I knew a coach years ago who's punishment for not staying back from the side line was worse than almost any other punishment.
It worked well, no one was a repeat offender that's for sure. Nip it in the bud.

Coaches may be the ones who need this most.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Every coach has a guy assigned as the get back guy during a game. The post was tongue in cheek. We were warned several times last year. I don't know if we actually got penalized.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

allcat wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Every coach has a guy assigned as the get back guy during a game. The post was tongue in cheek. We were warned several times last year. I don't know if we actually got penalized.
I was wondering lol . Usually where they stick the young guy ~ Line Judge , some are ok, and some are on the power trip.
Same with the Head Linesman sometimes . I think most teams pick up a warning though . Invariabaly the penalty comes
in a tight game when you least need it. Hope we have moved beyond that proverbial shooting ourselves in the foot stuff.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

I think Choate is following a tried and true formula. Strong run game and strong defense. In this league, if you’re going to do that, you need to be really strong defensively. The two deep on defense and in the OL and RB looks very good.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Hell, in high school when we (the refs) met with the coaches, the white hat would always ask "who's your get back guy, coach".

Really it's more about not getting in our way than anything else. If you'r running down the sideline and you crash into a player or coach because he was out on the field or even too close to the sideline, that's no good for anybody.

You use sideline warnings early typically, set the tone.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast