Visiting Bozeman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS
New Recruit

Visiting Bozeman

Post by WESTERNLEATHERNECKS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Good afternoon Bobcat nation,

I am in the early phase of planning out a trip to Bozeman from Washington D.C. for the Leatherneck game. Right, now I believe we would fly into Bozeman on Wednesday night and stay for the game on Thursday night and since it's a holiday weekend we are debating on spending Wednesday to Monday up in Montana or the near by states. I would appericate some input about Bozeman, Montana, and the other surrounding states. My group and myself have never been to Montana and want to make this trip worth it and hopefully a Leatherneck win :). (Flights from the East coast to Montana aren't the cheapest things in the world)

So for Wednesday and Thursday would y'all recommend staying in a hotel or a Airb&b? What actives (outside of the game and campus) are within driving distance from Bozeman (30-1 hour)

If you have never visited the area would you spend Wednesday thru Monday in the Bozeman area? Or drive West and visit that way and fly back from Seattle or another city west? Honestly, I know what we will be doing Thursday night but have no clue the rest of the days so any input would be greatly appreciated.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: Visiting Bozeman

Post by SACCAT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Spectators Thursday before the game. Yellowstone is 1 1/2 hours away. After your team loses Thursday night, you can drown your sorrows at Chico Hot Springs outside of Livingston on Friday, they have great Music and drinks. Downtown is great, and the Element Hotel is about a block from downtown Bozeman.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:34 pm

Hello, welcome to Bobcat Nation!

It really depends on what types of things you like to do. If you'd enjoy outdoorsy type things like hiking, mountain biking, rafting, and world class fly fishing, then you can easily fill up a long weekend without leaving the Bozeman area. Also Yellowstone National park is about an hour away if you'd enjoy seeing tons of wildlife, geysers, and some pretty neat country.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Here is a recent thread on the same subject.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45591

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Depends on what you like to do and how much $ you want to spend.
I bring a few folks from Idaho for a game once a year, we party pretty good so we like to stay close to the strip of bars on Main.
I have spent nights at Lewis and Clark on the west end and the Western Heritage on the east end both around $130 a night. Lark and Element closer to the center $250 a night.

Museum of the Rockies
Rockin R bar
Ale Works
Yellowstone Park, Make a loop, Bozeman-West Yellowstone-Yellowstone Park-Gardiner-Chico-Livingston-Bozeman
Chico- Great Food in the Restaurant.
Cheese Steak from the Picklebarrel

I think I heard the Buffalo in West Yellowstone puts out a good meal.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Hope you enjoy the trip. Wear your gear around Bozeman, you might catch a little ribbing, but it'll be friendly and you'll be treated well. Get to the game early and catch some tailgates.

I hope the Big Sky v. Missouri Valley turns into a real rivalry.

Does Western Illinois travel well?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Just went looking and Western Illinois has an active forum.
http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... um.php?f=7

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 pm

At that time of year a float on the Madison might be in order. Hike up Hyalite if you want to stay close to town. As others have mentioned-go south not west. Go through Yellowstone and Teton and then hop over to Salt Lake City for a big airport.

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS
New Recruit

Post by WESTERNLEATHERNECKS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Rich K wrote:Hope you enjoy the trip. Wear your gear around Bozeman, you might catch a little ribbing, but it'll be friendly and you'll be treated well. Get to the game early and catch some tailgates.

I hope the Big Sky v. Missouri Valley turns into a real rivalry.

Does Western Illinois travel well?

I know there is some talk on our message board (which i believe you posted after this comment) about going to the game but I think the big problem is there is no close airport to Macomb to fly up to Montana so they'd probably drive. I'm not sure how many people will go but when I went down to the Coastal game last year I figured there wouldn't be that many fans there but I was pleasantly surprised that about 100-200 WIU people made the trip. We don't travel deep like NDSU or some of those schools but sometimes we surprise people. I try to make a WIU away game once a year, especially if I have never been to that city, state or region. Drink some beer, watch some football, meet new people, experience a new culture, and see a new part of the country is always worth the money. Like in 2019, I am hoping I can make it to the game at Colorado State for the same reasons as I am hoping to make the trek to Montana from DC this year. Also, thanks for the idea for Salt Lake City.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Visiting Bozeman

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello! Thanks for stopping by.

For a good overview of the Bozeman area and things to do and see, hit the following link with your browser. Then click on both the OVERVIEW and TRAVEL GUIDE tabs, and check out the POINTS OF INTEREST. Lots to read and look at. Got specific questions after that, ask away.

https://www.google.com/search?q=visit+bozeman

I rarely recommend hotels, but we had to move out of our house for a week this winter and ended up choosing the SpringHill Suites by Marriott as our refuge. I've stayed in a ton of hotels, but this one was at the top of the heap for family hotels. It is very new, custom-decorated, nice public areas, good fitness center and large beautiful rooms with a nice sofa in the sitting area. Not your average name-brand hotel. It is away from the city center, but if you are renting a car it's convenient—first exit coming from the airport and a straight shot to the university. (Thought I’d mention it in case somebody has Marriott points to burn.)

Many thousands of visitors come here every year for just the fishing, sight-seeing or skiing. Add a Gold Rush football game on top of that and it doesn’t get much better.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:22 am

I recommend this every time someone comes to MT and is relatively close to the area, take a drive to Gardner then head over to Red Lodge from Gardner. This drive will take you through Cook City and then onto what I think is the most beautiful and breath taking drive in all of MT, the Beartooth Highway. Trust me I have lived in MT my whole life and I myself make this drive probably twice a year. If you were coming between May and July, I was gonna tell you to bring your skis because there is a lift on top of Beartooth Pass called Beartooth Basin that runs from Memorial weekend until July 4, it’s a whole different world at 11,500 feet and I love it.

Hope you make it to Bozeman, our tailgates are legit and woul rival a lot of division one programs, so buy the tickets and maybe you will run into some of us on here at our respective tailgates.

If your left, you aren’t right.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am

As others have said it really depends on what you like to do.

Yellowstone National Park (YNP) is ~ 1.5 hours away, and if you haven't been you could easily spend 3 days there sightseeing, hiking and other touristy stuff. Also, if you wanted to spend some $ you could get a guide and do some fly fishing in YNP or on the Madison or Yellowstone Rivers which are on the way to/from YNP. Chico Hot Springs, which has a pool, rooms and restaurant, is just a few miles north of Gardiner/YNP and would be well worth a stay.

Glacier National Park (GNP) is about 5 hours away and would be an option as well.

I think YNP is better than GNP for wildlife viewing, but GNP is better for landscape/scenery viewing.

So assuming you don't wake up at the crack of dawn on Friday, and need to be back in Bozeman to fly back on M, I'd suggest YNP because it's closer, has better fishing, and Chico is in a likely loop.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:13 pm

You bring me some fish and chips from the Dubliner and I'll buy you beers for the weekend.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:I recommend this every time someone comes to MT and is relatively close to the area, take a drive to Gardner then head over to Red Lodge from Gardner. This drive will take you through Cook City and then onto what I think is the most beautiful and breath taking drive in all of MT, the Beartooth Highway. Trust me I have lived in MT my whole life and I myself make this drive probably twice a year. If you were coming between May and July, I was gonna tell you to bring your skis because there is a lift on top of Beartooth Pass called Beartooth Basin that runs from Memorial weekend until July 4, it’s a whole different world at 11,500 feet and I love it.

Hope you make it to Bozeman, our tailgates are legit and woul rival a lot of division one programs, so buy the tickets and maybe you will run into some of us on here at our respective tailgates.
I totally agree. If you haven't been on the Beartooth Highway I would highly recommend it. I hike/fish the upper Montana and Wyoming side lakes on the Beartooths from July-Sept and it is definitely GOD's COUNTRY. Other than Bobcat Stadium, it is my favorite place to be in Montana/Wyoming.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:12 pm

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS wrote:Good afternoon Bobcat nation,

I am in the early phase of planning out a trip to Bozeman from Washington D.C. for the Leatherneck game. Right, now I believe we would fly into Bozeman on Wednesday night and stay for the game on Thursday night and since it's a holiday weekend we are debating on spending Wednesday to Monday up in Montana or the near by states. I would appericate some input about Bozeman, Montana, and the other surrounding states. My group and myself have never been to Montana and want to make this trip worth it and hopefully a Leatherneck win :). (Flights from the East coast to Montana aren't the cheapest things in the world)

So for Wednesday and Thursday would y'all recommend staying in a hotel or a Airb&b? What actives (outside of the game and campus) are within driving distance from Bozeman (30-1 hour)

If you have never visited the area would you spend Wednesday thru Monday in the Bozeman area? Or drive West and visit that way and fly back from Seattle or another city west? Honestly, I know what we will be doing Thursday night but have no clue the rest of the days so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BN! There's a ton to do in Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley, but due to the sheer size of our great state, you really won't get to see much else of Southwestern Montana if you limit yourself to an hour's drive out of Bozeman. That said, the suggestions proposed here are all very good, especially the Gardiner/YNP/Red Lodge loop. Of course, you could spend a good week in YNP and not get bored. There is a reason it was the first national park ever created.

If you do get that far south, I would be remiss not to put a plug in for the Buffalo Bill Cody museum in Cody, WY. It's a world-class museum of US natural history, western artwork, cowboy/frontier/old west history, and has one of the largest firearm museums around. It's a full day museum if you want to see it all. Plus, Cody is a pretty cool town in it's own right.

If you're interested in other cool natural features, check out Lewis and Clark Caverns near Three Forks, MT. Also, a little further drive West and a short hike up a good trail will take you to one of the coolest geological features in the West. The Ringing Rocks near Homestake Pass. Might rent an SUV to get to the parking lot, however. The rocks ring like bells when struck with a hammer (provided on-site). All have different tones and pitches. Wear some shoes with good grip and have fun climbing around making music on the rocks.

In addition, Butte and Helena are chock full of cool/interesting architecture and historical sites. A tour of The Copper King mansion in Butte is well worth the nominal price of admission.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:34 am

If driving I'd suggest taking some time in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Devil's Tower in Wyoming. Keep heading west to Sheridan and take a nice leisurely ride through the Big Horn Mountains. The northern route is my favorite but be prepared to gear down on the western descent. Head on to Cody Wyoming and take in the Buffalo Bill Center of the West and a rodeo. From there are several scenic routes that will get you to Bozeman. I would suggest that if you want to do Yellowstone Park do it BEFORE the game in the middle of the week (Tues-Thursday) or after Labor Day. Labor Day weekend in Yellowstone is a ****** show as it's the last long weekend before the fall shoulder season.

The only other place I'd suggest that I didn't see mentioned is a stop in Virginia City and Nevada City. Lots of history along with a couple of playhouses.

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS
New Recruit

Post by WESTERNLEATHERNECKS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks for all the in put! I think we did decide on three things, one flying in and out of SLC, Bozeman Thursday night for the game, and then a bar on friday for the Badgers game. I am attempting to figure out a path from SLC to Bozeman and then from Bozeman to SLC that are not the same so we can see more. I think, as of now that our first stop will be Idaho Fall, ID as its about half way between SLC and Bozeman. I looked up the Buffalo Bill muesum and I am hoping we can fix that into our return trip back to SLC.

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS
New Recruit

Post by WESTERNLEATHERNECKS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:You bring me some fish and chips from the Dubliner and I'll buy you beers for the weekend.
If TSA allows me to carry it on that may be arranged!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:06 pm

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS wrote:Thanks for all the in put! I think we did decide on three things, one flying in and out of SLC, Bozeman Thursday night for the game, and then a bar on friday for the Badgers game. I am attempting to figure out a path from SLC to Bozeman and then from Bozeman to SLC that are not the same so we can see more. I think, as of now that our first stop will be Idaho Fall, ID as its about half way between SLC and Bozeman. I looked up the Buffalo Bill muesum and I am hoping we can fix that into our return trip back to SLC.
When I lived and worked elsewhere, I used to fly into Salt Lake, pick up the rental and drive to Idaho Falls, go to Jackson, Wyoming and up through Jackson Hole to see the Tetons (and the National Park), enter Yellowstone and take the east loop and either exit toward Cody or Red Lodge depending on my mood and the passengers. Some would want to stop in Cody and others didn't care. Then I'd stay in either Big Timber or drive to Belgrade where the airport is located. The really good restraurants are in Belgrade, Manhattan, Logan or Willow Creek.

Long drive for one day but it can be done depending on when you get to Salt Lake. On the way back from the Gallatin Valley, I always made a trip to Butte but you could go back through Ennis and make certain you eat in the Gravel Bar and Grill, go up past Quake Lake into West Yellowstone and take the west loop back through the Tetons. I'd actually plan a minimum of four days because it's a lot of driving. You can also skip the west loop of Yellowstone because it's going to be packed that weekend. Just head for Salt Lake from Butte.

Four days minimum. Just the drive from Idaho Falls to either Red Lodge or Cody is a long one. Seven or eight days is a bit more relaxed. I hate driving into the sun is why I take that route.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun May 27, 2018 11:18 am

WESTERNLEATHERNECKS wrote:Good afternoon Bobcat nation,

Not a lot of details but gives you an idea of what's here.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... in-america