BOBCAT SPRING FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK #1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

BOBCAT SPRING FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK #1

Post by DaCats21 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:52 pm

BOBCAT SPRING FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK #1: Staff and RB Changes Mark First Week

BOZEMAN, Montana – It took three tries, but Montana State recorded its first quality practice of the spring on Thursday.

"Thursday was really the first opportunity to let it go," Bobcat coach Jeff Choate said. "They got out there and ran around pretty good. But I think everyone's ready for spring break and we'll get refocused when school starts again."

http://msubobcats.com/news/2018/3/11/bo ... -week.aspx

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: BOBCAT SPRING FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK #1

Post by Montanabob » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:16 pm

DaCats21 wrote:BOBCAT SPRING FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK #1: Staff and RB Changes Mark First Week

BOZEMAN, Montana – It took three tries, but Montana State recorded its first quality practice of the spring on Thursday.

"Thursday was really the first opportunity to let it go," Bobcat coach Jeff Choate said. "They got out there and ran around pretty good. But I think everyone's ready for spring break and we'll get refocused when school starts again."

Look before you open a new thread. This is already on the Spring Ball thread.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Montanabob wrote:
DaCats21 wrote:BOBCAT SPRING FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK #1: Staff and RB Changes Mark First Week

Post something that's been posted elsewhere or misspell a player's name...they'll let you know!

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 am

The Big Meowski wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Post something that's been posted elsewhere or misspell a player's name...they'll let you know!
Washington transfer Bryce Sterk has unlimited potential. A 6'4 246 lb linebacker with amazing high school resume'.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:24 am

I believe he is a DE? But yes, I am excited to see what he can do. Sounds like he at least looks the part!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am

mslacatfan wrote:I believe he is a DE? But yes, I am excited to see what he can do. Sounds like he at least looks the part!
Some of the HUDL highlights show him coming off the end and destroying the quarterback :)

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Sterk-- I looked at the 2017 Washington roster. They listed him as an OLB. He's a redshirt junior and had some playing time with them.
He played at Lynden High School (North of Seattle), playing in four state champion games. Lynden is a 2A school (472-990 students). He was the #14 prospect in the state. Plus he ran the 100 and 200 in track, was on the 440 relay team. In between he threw the shot. I tried to link his UW bio but couldn't.
So what's he doing in Bozeman? Making MSU great again :wink: .

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Sterk-- I looked at the 2017 Washington roster. They listed him as an OLB. He's a redshirt junior and had some playing time with them.
He played at Lynden High School (North of Seattle), playing in four state champion games. Lynden is a 2A school (472-990 students). He was the #14 prospect in the state. Plus he ran the 100 and 200 in track, was on the 440 relay team. In between he threw the shot. I tried to link his UW bio but couldn't.
Reminds me of former Bobcat great, Adam Cordeiro. I believe Cordeiro won the 100, shot, and disc his junior and seniors years of high school. Those type of guys are hard to come by with that combination of speed, stregth and quickness. Maybe being under coach Choate, the guy that recruited him to begin with, he will accomplish what he set out to accomplish to begin with.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Sterk-- I looked at the 2017 Washington roster. They listed him as an OLB. He's a redshirt junior and had some playing time with them.
Here's his Washington bio, but it does not answer what happened to him in 2017. 2015 and 2016 make sense, redshirt a year, limited action a year......
2017: Did not see any game action during the 2017 season.

2016: Saw his first action as a Husky in the win over Rutgers, recording two tackles and a fumble recovery ... also played in the win over Idaho.

2015: Redshirted true freshman season at the UW ... won the team's Ultimate Dirt Dawg Award for his work in the weight room during the 2015 season.

HIGH SCHOOL: The Northwest Conference 2A/3A MVP as a senior in 2014 ... also a unanimous all-conference first-team selection on both lines ... also first-team 2A all-state on both the offensive and defensive line ... Bellingham Herald's All-Whatcom County Player of the Year in 2014 ... named a PrepStar All-Region selection ... helped Lions on their way to a 32-game winning streak that lasted from his sophomore through senior seasons, played in four straight state title games and was a member of three Washington 2A state championship teams ... recorded 147 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior ... in 2014, helped Lynden to a 12-2 record, a league title and a trip to the 2A state title game ... in 2013, the Lions went 14-0 and won the 2A state championship ... as a sophomore, helped the team to a 13-1 record and the 2A state title ... also a member of the varsity as a freshman in 2011, another 14-0, state title season for the Lions ... the No. 14 prospect in the state of Washington and No. 126 defensive end in the U.S., according to ESPN ... also a standout on the track & field team, finishing sixth in the 2A state championships as a junior ... also ran on Lynden's 4x400 relay team that took third place and qualified for state in the shotput ... earned All-Whatcom County in track & field in 2014 ... as a senior, ran the 100 meters, 200 meters, 300-meter hurdles, 4x400 relay, 4x100 relay and threw the shot ... took second in the 4x400 and eighth in the 300-meter hurdles at the 2A state championships as a senior ... played football for coach Curt Kramme.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Rich K wrote:
Here's his Washington bio, but it does not answer what happened to him in 2017. 2015 and 2016 make sense, redshirt a year, limited action a year......
2017: Did not see any game action during the 2017 season.

2016: Saw his first action as a Husky in the win over Rutgers, recording two tackles and a fumble recovery ... also played in the win over Idaho.

2015: Redshirted true freshman season at the UW ... won the team's Ultimate Dirt Dawg Award for his work in the weight room during the 2015 season.

HIGH SCHOOL: The Northwest Conference 2A/3A MVP as a senior in 2014 ... also a unanimous all-conference first-team selection on both lines ... also first-team 2A all-state on both the offensive and defensive line ... Bellingham Herald's All-Whatcom County Player of the Year in 2014 ... named a PrepStar All-Region selection ... helped Lions on their way to a 32-game winning streak that lasted from his sophomore through senior seasons, played in four straight state title games and was a member of three Washington 2A state championship teams ... recorded 147 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior ... in 2014, helped Lynden to a 12-2 record, a league title and a trip to the 2A state title game ... in 2013, the Lions went 14-0 and won the 2A state championship ... as a sophomore, helped the team to a 13-1 record and the 2A state title ... also a member of the varsity as a freshman in 2011, another 14-0, state title season for the Lions ... the No. 14 prospect in the state of Washington and No. 126 defensive end in the U.S., according to ESPN ... also a standout on the track & field team, finishing sixth in the 2A state championships as a junior ... also ran on Lynden's 4x400 relay team that took third place and qualified for state in the shotput ... earned All-Whatcom County in track & field in 2014 ... as a senior, ran the 100 meters, 200 meters, 300-meter hurdles, 4x400 relay, 4x100 relay and threw the shot ... took second in the 4x400 and eighth in the 300-meter hurdles at the 2A state championships as a senior ... played football for coach Curt Kramme.
What happened was just what it said: didn't see game action. Meaning he was buried on the depth chart and likely saw the writing on the wall. Glad we have him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 pm

VimSince03 wrote: What happened was just what it said: didn't see game action. Meaning he was buried on the depth chart and likely saw the writing on the wall. Glad we have him.
I'm glad we have him too, EVERYTHING about him looks great. It just seems that a guy that had a few people thinking he'd be their starting buck to seeing no playing time, not even special teams, might have a back story. However, being that he's coming from Washington and not Oregon State being buried is VERY likely.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Rich K wrote:
VimSince03 wrote: What happened was just what it said: didn't see game action. Meaning he was buried on the depth chart and likely saw the writing on the wall. Glad we have him.
I'm glad we have him too, EVERYTHING about him looks great. It just seems that a guy that had a few people thinking he'd be their starting buck to seeing no playing time, not even special teams, might have a back story. However, being that he's coming from Washington and not Oregon State being buried is VERY likely.

Choate addressed some of that on the early signing period day. Choate starts talking about him at the 32:25 point.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-sta ... riod-2017/

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Choate addressed some of that on the early signing period day. Choate starts talking about him at the 32:25 point.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-sta ... riod-2017/
Thanks! First man off the bus, now I remember!