Shane Perry - Boom!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Shane Perry - Boom!

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am

Per Hawks86 post Perry seems to have snuck onto the team recently. He put up big numbers at monte Vista averaging 7.7 ypc and scoring 20 TDs his senior season (2016-17). First team All-EBAL as senior and HM as junior. Must’ve taken a year off after HS. 215 rushes for 1,657 yards. Nearly identical to Capital’s Seth Schneider 213-1,578-19; 7.4 ypc.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Shane Perry - Boom!

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 pm

I was going to ask about Perry when I saw that B.J. Robertson gave him birthday congrats the other day and Perrys twitter feed mentioned being on the Bobcat team. I didn't see his name on the roster though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:I was going to ask about Perry when I saw that B.J. Robertson gave him birthday congrats the other day and Perrys twitter feed mentioned being on the Bobcat team. I didn't see his name on the roster though.
Roster has not been updated.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 pm

In high school they have him listed at 5'10" 185lbs. There's a chance he might be a bit taller but most certainly has put on a little weight since then if he continued to work out on his own. Wonder what sparked the interest of walking on.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Team10 wrote:In high school they have him listed at 5'10" 185lbs. There's a chance he might be a bit taller but most certainly has put on a little weight since then if he continued to work out on his own. Wonder what sparked the interest of walking on.
That spark might be that he caught a glimpse of the vision where this team plans to go and feels that he could contribute and definitely didn't want to get down the road a few years and wonder what if he had tried.
I had a roommate in college who was almost the exact same size as Shane and was fast and shifty as all get out. He talked about walking on but didn't do it. He knew it was a long shot. He's always wondered what might have been.

Good luck to Shane and welcome to the Cats.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:I was going to ask about Perry when I saw that B.J. Robertson gave him birthday congrats the other day and Perrys twitter feed mentioned being on the Bobcat team. I didn't see his name on the roster though.
Vim,

Do you have any indication of the Walk On's and who is really there? Not a 30 minute bio on each one, but just names, schools, positions and quick thoughts as to if they will make the cut?

And the rumors on Echols? He dropped the pinned MSU picture on his twitter account.....

And someone please teach the out of state's how to walk on snow and ice? AND PLEASE DON'T LET THEM DRIVE FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS.

Thanks,

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Vim,

Do you have any indication of the Walk On's and who is really there? Not a 30 minute bio on each one, but just names, schools, positions and quick thoughts as to if they will make the cut?

And the rumors on Echols? He dropped the pinned MSU picture on his twitter account.....

And someone please teach the out of state's how to walk on snow and ice? AND PLEASE DON'T LET THEM DRIVE FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS.

Thanks,
Your knowledge is as good as mine on walk-ons. Looks like the they picked up Shane Perry during tryouts this January. This happens nearly every spring. Is that what you are asking?

As far as Echols, I've been in "who cares" mode since we signed 4 running backs on signing day.

I would argue that in-state folks still struggle with walking/driving on snow/ice.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 pm

iaafan wrote:Per Hawks86 post Perry seems to have snuck onto the team recently. He put up big numbers at monte Vista averaging 7.7 ypc and scoring 20 TDs his senior season (2016-17). First team All-EBAL as senior and HM as junior. Must’ve taken a year off after HS. 215 rushes for 1,657 yards. Nearly identical to Capital’s Seth Schneider 213-1,578-19; 7.4 ypc.
I think Schneider is about 200 lbs., but a pretty uncanny resemblance numbers-wise. Perry could be 200 now. Hard to gauge running backs sometimes because it could just be they have a great line.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Do we have any walk on's in this years signing class? Besides Jory that is. We usually get an announcement of who our PWO's are, but I haven't seen any indication of who they may be this year.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm

I always like to know a little about the high school to be able to gauge the level of competition on the field.
Shane shows good lateral movement in the hudl film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Vis ... alifornia)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:15 pm

kwcat wrote:I always like to know a little about the high school to be able to gauge the level of competition on the field.
Shane shows good lateral movement in the hudl film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Vis ... alifornia)
Slightly bigger than the bigger AA schools in Montana. They played De LaSalle in Perry’s senior year. That was their only loss. Won their CIF division.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:39 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Vim,

Thanks,
Your knowledge is as good as mine on walk-ons. Looks like the they picked up Shane Perry during tryouts this January. This happens nearly every spring. Is that what you are asking?

As far as Echols, I've been in "who cares" mode since we signed 4 running backs on signing day.

I would argue that in-state folks still struggle with walking/driving on snow/ice.
Austyn Sherwood, a 5'11", 190 lb. WR/S transfer from Carroll College, is also walking on this spring. He redshirted at Carroll last year. Austyn's claim to fame? In the 2016 Class B championship game, he caught Garrett Graves hail-mary pass to beat Loyola.

Here is his high school tape: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6064376/Aus ... ood/videos.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Austyn looks to have good size overall and good hands on the offensive side, but doesn't have tremendous speed which is an important factor playing a DB/WR position. Might end up being a tremendous special teams player and sneak his way on the field that way. Good luck to him this spring and fall.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:51 pm

Bumping this thread just in case anyone else has found themselves asking “who the heck is Shane Perry?!?!”

He’s had two consecutive outstanding weeks. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got some scholly $$ next year.

Kudos to him.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 pm

IMO as soon as there is any scholarship money available Shane Perry should get it ASAP. It’s already over due.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 pm
IMO as soon as there is any scholarship money available Shane Perry should get it ASAP. It’s already over due.
Choate mentioned in a press conference last week that Shane “probably earned some money” with his performance. I expect he will be a full ride guy this spring.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 am

He is well worth a full scholarship! I am surprised someone that talented was a walk on, he is really good!

Just add him to the huge list of walk ons at msu that turn out to be some of the best recruits.

The cats should have a yearly “Caleb schreibeis award” that goes to the top performing player that started out as a walk on.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:36 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 am
He is well worth a full scholarship! I am surprised someone that talented was a walk on, he is really good!

Just add him to the huge list of walk ons at msu that turn out to be some of the best recruits.

The cats should have a yearly “Caleb schreibeis award” that goes to the top performing player that started out as a walk on.
I like this idea!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:19 am

The young man is a patient runner with a nice burst. I agree that his talent at a walk on price is a real deal. We were rotating guys so much yesterday that I was getting them mixed up! Sumner looks good too and Logan Jones is a warrior to be playing with a bad set of ribs. RB is our deepest position.