New Metal Detectors

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

New Metal Detectors

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:11 pm

I heard this morning that new walk through metal detectors will be in place for the 2018 football season. No official word or verification so far, but if anyone has more info please post. If it is true it may make for even more time to get into the stadium, hopefully not as intrusive as what TSA does at airports.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Metal Detectors

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Good, I hope it's true. Seems like walking thru metal detectors will be a lot faster than wanding every single person like they did last year.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Possibly, one would think or hope that they turn the sensitivity down a notch or two, so that items like keys and coins and cellphones are not issues.

FTG

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Possibly, one would think or hope that they turn the sensitivity down a notch or two, so that items like keys and coins and cellphones are not issues.
Ya good point.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Possibly, one would think or hope that they turn the sensitivity down a notch or two, so that items like keys and coins and cellphones are not issues.
Every game I've been to with these the have you put cell phones and keys in a plastic tub while you go through. Belts, glasses, etc... aren't an issue.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm

If that is required it will slow the process down measurably, you see how fast that goes at airports. It is the trade off for public safety I suppose.

FTG

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm

I guess the days of smuggling a keg of beer into the stands are long ago........

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Rich K wrote:I guess the days of smuggling a keg of beer into the stands are long ago........
yeah, gone but not forgotten. :D

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:If that is required it will slow the process down measurably, you see how fast that goes at airports. It is the trade off for public safety I suppose.
I mean, yeah it sounds bad if you compare it to an airport. The last Blazers game I went to it was pretty smooth.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Is there a lot of tailgating going on before a Blazers game? Might take a few games to get the East side tailgate crews up to "Blazers speed" . At this point it is all just conjecture as none of it has been confirmed at this point.

FTG

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 pm

What gets me is that when we went out to Pullman for the WSU game there was none of that, just walked right in. No metal detectors, no searches, no nothing. The next week in Bozeman was a lot different, wands and searches. I should have asked somebody in Pullman about their security but I didn't.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 pm

HiLineCat wrote:What gets me is that when we went out to Pullman for the WSU game there was none of that, just walked right in. No metal detectors, no searches, no nothing. The next week in Bozeman was a lot different, wands and searches. I should have asked somebody in Pullman about their security but I didn't.
Casey Fox came to us from WSU... he should be well familiar with how they do things. It would be nice to get more input from other schools and how successful they can be.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:09 pm

HiLineCat wrote:What gets me is that when we went out to Pullman for the WSU game there was none of that, just walked right in. No metal detectors, no searches, no nothing. The next week in Bozeman was a lot different, wands and searches. I should have asked somebody in Pullman about their security but I didn't.
You blow up something with the nearest city being Spokane, obviously a second rate city to Seattle. Compare that to blowing up something in Bozeman, obviously the cream of the crop cities in Montana. It's no wonder we warrant such high security.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank God Pendleton comes in plastic.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:Thank God Pendleton comes in plastic.
Not wool anymore? What about Hudson Bay?

They must think the filthy rich who fly into Belgrade on the way to Big Sky, Moonlight Basin or Ennis will actually go to a Cat football game. Personally, I'd like to see MSU surgically extracted from the Valley and put in that Hoot pasture 17 miles west of Lewistown..."Somewhere in the middle of Montana..."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:If that is required it will slow the process down measurably, you see how fast that goes at airports. It is the trade off for public safety I suppose.
I mean, yeah it sounds bad if you compare it to an airport. The last Blazers game I went to it was pretty smooth.
Yeah, I've been to several pro sporting events with these and it isn't anything like airport security. You just empty your pockets into a plastic tub and walk right through. Won't be any slower than the current security with the wands.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 pm

They need to be sensitive enough to pick up an AR 15... :coffee:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:10 pm

MSU01 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Yeah, I've been to several pro sporting events with these and it isn't anything like airport security. You just empty your pockets into a plastic tub and walk right through. Won't be any slower than the current security with the wands.
Just for some perspective, this was from last night at the Moda Center:

The line I was in took exactly 5 minutes to get through the door/metal detector.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 am

That's great. One thing for sure, we will all find out how well our flow goes at football games. I suspect after a the first couple of games people will get used to it, might have to pass the stadium chair with the keys etc, it will still slow it down, but only by a few minuets. It may work even better during the Cold games as we may not need to open up all the layers of clothing, just pass on through. I do believe this brings us one step closer to no re- entry though. If our President wants to have Butts in the seats at the 2nd half kickoff, she will find a way. What Waded wants Waded gets, we have all seen how that works. I bet that is a reality by 2020. I personally would not like to see that, but will not whine if it happens.

FTG