The Official 2018 Signing Day Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Official 2018 Signing Day Thread

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm

catgrad05 wrote:Is anyone else still a little nervous that Ifanse hasn’t sent in his NLOI yet?
No.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

obiwanabe
New Recruit

Post by obiwanabe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:I just did some quick math, and it looks like this class is right around 30 stars according to the different recruiting sites, and that doesn't even include guys like Askelson and Snell.

I imagine that's a first for MSU
Star ratings are so subjective though and those sites really just base it off of offers and interest. For example, Donny Long had zero stars all year and still had zero heading into his January visit with MSU. He gets an offer and signs with MSU...next thing you know he has a 2-star rating from 247Sports. Then he gets that full-ride offer from Arizona State and he suddenly jumps to 3-stars. It is all very subjective. And maybe I'm biased but this is how I would rank our WR commits:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
2) Logan Kleinhans (partial)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
4) Mekhi Metcalf (3-star)
Vims spot on here. Star rankings are extremely subjective, mostly relying on offers or attending camps, which are almost always located on the coasts, which therefore excludes those who don’t have the time or money to attend. Just too many kids in the nation to accurately give them all stars.
You make a good point. Just an observation from a biased Montanan's perspective, not to take away anything from any of the kids who were offered and signed, but it sure seems like the MSU leverages Montana kids into partials and PWOs. Not sure how I feel about that. Who decides stars anyway? Is there an objective standard, or is I marketing. Again, just an observation not meant to take away from the any of the kids that are star rated,

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:Is anyone else still a little nervous that Ifanse hasn’t sent in his NLOI yet?
No.
I’m guessing there’s a lunch or after school signing ceremony. Choate mentioned in the presser we will have another letter in by the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 pm

obiwanabe wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:I just did some quick math, and it looks like this class is right around 30 stars according to the different recruiting sites, and that doesn't even include guys like Askelson and Snell.

Star ratings are so subjective though and those sites really just base it off of offers and interest. For example, Donny Long had zero stars all year and still had zero heading into his January visit with MSU. He gets an offer and signs with MSU...next thing you know he has a 2-star rating from 247Sports. Then he gets that full-ride offer from Arizona State and he suddenly jumps to 3-stars. It is all very subjective. And maybe I'm biased but this is how I would rank our WR commits:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
Vims spot on here. Star rankings are extremely subjective, mostly relying on offers or attending camps, which are almost always located on the coasts, which therefore excludes those who don’t have the time or money to attend. Just too many kids in the nation to accurately give them all stars.
You make a good point. Just an observation from a biased Montanan's perspective, not to take away anything from any of the kids who were offered and signed, but it sure seems like the MSU leverages Montana kids into partials and PWOs. Not sure how I feel about that. Who decides stars anyway? Is there an objective standard, or is I marketing. Again, just an observation not meant to take away from the any of the kids that are star rated,
You should go ask UM how they leverage Montana kids into partials and PWOs. Frankly, MSU offers Montana kids the way they should be offered. Not every kid is a full-ride.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
You should go ask UM how they leverage Montana kids into partials and PWOs. Frankly, MSU offers Montana kids the way they should be offered. Not every kid is a full-ride.
Not every MT kid is a full ride, it does seem like MSU and UM try to get MT kids as cheep as possible though. I think there are always some MT kids who should have gotten a little more money than they did, but committed to MSU or UM because it’s the school they were going to attend no matter what, and the staffs know that.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:43 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
Not every MT kid is a full ride, it does seem like MSU and UM try to get MT kids as cheep as possible though. I think there are always some MT kids who should have gotten a little more money than they did, but committed to MSU or UM because it’s the school they were going to attend no matter what, and the staffs know that.
I agree. But in my opinion, there were four kids worthy of a full-ride this year out of the state of Montana. Gabe Sulser, Drew Turner, Nolan Askelson, and Garrett Graves.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
It's negotiating from a position of power. Does the staff know your heart is set on us? Well you are a pwo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Montana State has 11 letters in so far on National Signing Day, bringing total number of new Bobcats to 27. MSU is still waiting on NLOI from Isaiah Ifanse to bring total of new Bobcats to 28. Check them all out here.

Montana State Bobcats National Signing Day signees
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-sta ... y-signees/
What's your unbias take on this class Colter?
Colter lives in missoula now, and he has a man-crush on Bobby Hauck.....he is dead to us......

I kid. I kid.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
I agree. But in my opinion, there were four kids worthy of a full-ride this year out of the state of Montana. Gabe Sulser, Drew Turner, Nolan Askelson, and Garrett Graves.
And only Sulser got a full ride. The others accepted partial scholarships.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

1) Koby Duru (2-star)
3) Mark Estes (partial)
And only Sulser got a full ride. The others accepted partial scholarships.
Yup. Whether UM or MSU fans like it or not, these kids will keep getting these partial scholarship offers unless out-of-state FCS or FBS recruitment picks up in the state of Montana. This state is criminally underrecruited by out-of-state FCS schools so UM/MSU doesn't have to offer a ton of money unless they are bidding against each other. Gabe receiving full-rides from several FCS and a few FBS schools along with a PWO from UW. It was going to take a full-ride to get him. EWU and Idaho have dabbled along with North Dakota and NDSU. Even Wyoming expresses interest from time to time. But overall, Montana and Montana State get the pick of the litter and know that they are really only getting pushed by each other in the recruiting of a player.

And yes...it is crazy that a player like Drew Turner only received a partial scholarship. His tape, production, and prototype size scream "full-ride."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm

I know may of these partial scholarships turn into full rides in later years if that player produces for the team.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm

lutecat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Montana State has 11 letters in so far on National Signing Day, bringing total number of new Bobcats to 27. MSU is still waiting on NLOI from Isaiah Ifanse to bring total of new Bobcats to 28. Check them all out here.

Colter lives in missoula now, and he has a man-crush on Bobby Hauck.....he is dead to us......

I kid. I kid.

I laughed, not going to lie haha.

My unbias opinion is that the state of Montana was down this year in recruiting with basically one kid — Gabe Sulser — worthy of a full scholarship then about 20 kids who you would take as partial scholarship kids. I think many of the kids MSU got from in-state could end up being good players but no certain home runs.

As far as out of state, color me impressed. I think the fact that Choate has stopped waiving the white flag in Washington and instead is going in there and mining out some of the best talent in the state will pay huge dividends. I think the transfers MSU signed will all be impact players right away. I think overall, it is the best class, especially in terms of out of state guys, Montana State has signed since I started covering the team seven years ago.

That said, it's recruiting and recruiting is a crap shoot. You never know why kids might flame out. I thought the 2014 recruiting class was the best I'd seen. But Eric Prevost and WaWa Leota never made it to school, Garrett Marino didn't make it to his second semester, DeMonte King, Matt Stewart,Tavon Dodd, Toti Moeakiola, Austin Oldenburger and Trevin Thompson all flamed out. Really none of them didn't make it because of a mis-evaluation or poor talent either.

Braelen Evans has battled injuries, Justin Paige, Bryce Alley were both solid but not game-changers, Bryson Keeton was not put in a position to succeed despite having what we know now is NFL talent. I ranked Zach Wright as the least impactful of MSU's recruits that class and he's honestly the best one all things considered. Grant Collins had all the hype but Wright and Tucker Yates have been the most solid. Connor Sullivan and Curtis Amos still have one year to fulfill their potential.

This current class is impressive. But it's all hype and potential as of today.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
lutecat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I kid. I kid.

I laughed, not going to lie haha.

My unbias opinion is that the state of Montana was down this year in recruiting with basically one kid — Gabe Sulser — worthy of a full scholarship then about 20 kids who you would take as partial scholarship kids. I think many of the kids MSU got from in-state could end up being good players but no certain home runs.

As far as out of state, color me impressed. I think the fact that Choate has stopped waiving the white flag in Washington and instead is going in there and mining out some of the best talent in the state will pay huge dividends. I think the transfers MSU signed will all be impact players right away. I think overall, it is the best class, especially in terms of out of state guys, Montana State has signed since I started covering the team seven years ago.

That said, it's recruiting and recruiting is a crap shoot. You never know why kids might flame out. I thought the 2014 recruiting class was the best I'd seen. But Eric Prevost and WaWa Leota never made it to school, Garrett Marino didn't make it to his second semester, DeMonte King, Matt Stewart,Tavon Dodd, Toti Moeakiola, Austin Oldenburger and Trevin Thompson all flamed out. Really none of them didn't make it because of a mis-evaluation or poor talent either.

Braelen Evans has battled injuries, Justin Paige, Bryce Alley were both solid but not game-changers, Bryson Keeton was not put in a position to succeed despite having what we know now is NFL talent. I ranked Zach Wright as the least impactful of MSU's recruits that class and he's honestly the best one all things considered. Grant Collins had all the hype but Wright and Tucker Yates have been the most solid. Connor Sullivan and Curtis Amos still have one year to fulfill their potential.

This current class is impressive. But it's all hype and potential as of today.
Great points, but speaking of that (I'm too lazy to do it) someone should look up the numbers from Choate's first two classes and see what his success rate it. Yes I know this is still somewhat subjective but he mentioned there were 11 and 13 TRUE FRESHMEN contributors\many starters in his first two classes. I don't think there are more than a handful of "Flame outs" from his first two classes. So if you project that I think this class could end up being something special. \:D/

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:02 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/961374107899068416

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:03 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/961374565493440513

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Alright they are all in. Great job coaches. Now go compete for a Big Sky title and then some!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm

There they are!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

https://twitter.com/__Longfellow/status/961320606653272064

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

https://twitter.com/SGVNSports/status/961374465572524032

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm

https://twitter.com/HeritageASB/status/961301181115940865