Duru, Echols, Infanse, Williams ...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Duru, Echols, Infanse, Williams ...

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:20 am
My guess is there’s a huge pool of recruits out there, so there’s not a lot of instances where both schools are after the same kid. I also doubt that UM or MSU is gonna go after a player (unless they know that player has serious interest) that the other has already been recruiting and they have little chance of getting.

Choate has really strong ties in the NW and elsewhere. I wouldn’t want to go head-to-head with him. I’m sure Peterson recommends to recruits that MSU is a great option. When you have someone like that doing your bidding it helps.
Take Malik Putney for example. His cousin, Ahmaad Rorie, is an all-league point guard for the Griz basketball team. But Montana did not recruit him for several reasons. One, they had already added Robby Hauck and Gavin Robertson as transfers and signed David Koppang, Jackson Pepe and Nash Fouch during the early period. They had no room left even if Putney is on par with Fouch and likely better than Koppang and Pepe as prep recruits. Also, Jeremy Thielbahr, Putney's coach at Eastside Catholic, was a Mike Kramer assistant at MSU.

Malik Metcalf played for Joey Thomas in high school. Much easier connection.

Bellevue has consistently sent players to Montana but Isaiah Ifanse was not recruited by the Griz. UM signed Drew Turner and Adam Eastwood early while also returning several veteran backs, including Jeremy Calhoun and Alijah Lee. And Ifanse did not get offered by any school other than teams that run the triple option — Montana State, Wofford, Air Force, Navy, Hawaii.

James Williams was not recruited by Montana because Montana does not recruit Texas. Montana State has for quite some time.

On the flip side, recruits like Cole Grossman from Skyview in Vancouver, Washington did not receive any attention from the Bobcats but is a Griz signee because the Griz have recruited that high school hard for many years. Ellis Henderson also went there. The Griz signed several kids from Western Washington like Fouch (Woodinville) and Tyler Ganoung (Gig Harbor) from schools outside the Seattle area that probably have more traditional Griz ties while Montana State is, as mentioned, capitalizing on Choate's NW ties and his presence for several seasons at Washington in Seattle.

Even in state, it's more rare than most think that both programs offer kids equally. Two years ago, Choate commented that Montana State got every kid they offered that Montana also offered except one: Bryson Deming.

This year, the Griz got a bunch of Montana kids the Cats didn't really recruit that hard like Koppang, Levi Janacaro, Max Morris, Jackson Pepe, Nick Germer and Colten Curry. The Bobcats also got recruits the Griz didn't recruit that hard like Lane Sumner, Kaleb Winterburn, Logan Kleinhans, Joey McElroy, Blake Alred, Treyton Pickering and Mark Estes.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am
iaafan wrote:
My guess is there’s a huge pool of recruits out there, so there’s not a lot of instances where both schools are after the same kid. I also doubt that UM or MSU is gonna go after a player (unless they know that player has serious interest) that the other has already been recruiting and they have little chance of getting.

Choate has really strong ties in the NW and elsewhere. I wouldn’t want to go head-to-head with him. I’m sure Peterson recommends to recruits that MSU is a great option. When you have someone like that doing your bidding it helps.
Take Malik Putney for example. His cousin, Ahmaad Rorie, is an all-league point guard for the Griz basketball team. But Montana did not recruit him for several reasons. One, they had already added Robby Hauck and Gavin Robertson as transfers and signed David Koppang, Jackson Pepe and Nash Fouch during the early period. They had no room left even if Putney is on par with Fouch and likely better than Koppang and Pepe as prep recruits. Also, Jeremy Thielbahr, Putney's coach at Eastside Catholic, was a Mike Kramer assistant at MSU.

Bellevue has consistently sent players to Montana but Isaiah Ifanse was not recruited by the Griz. UM signed Drew Turner and Adam Eastwood early while also returning several veteran backs, including Jeremy Calhoun and Alijah Lee. And Ifanse did not get offered by any school other than teams that run the triple option — Montana State, Wofford, Air Force, Navy, Hawaii.

James Williams was not recruited by Montana because Montana does not recruit Texas. Montana State has for quite some time.

On the flip side, recruits like Cole Grossman from Skyview in Vancouver, Washington did not receive any attention from the Bobcats but is a Griz signee because the Griz have recruited that high school hard for many years. Ellis Henderson also went there. The Griz signed several kids from Western Washington like Fouch (Woodinville) and Tyler Ganoung (Gig Harbor) from schools outside the Seattle area that probably have more traditional Griz ties while Montana State is, as mentioned, capitalizing on Choate's NW ties and his presence for several seasons at Washington in Seattle.

Even in state, it's more rare than most think that both programs offer kids equally. Two years ago, Choate commented that Montana State got every kid they offered that Montana also offered except one: Bryson Deming.

This year, the Griz got a bunch of Montana kids the Cats didn't really recruit that hard like Koppang, Levi Janacaro, Max Morris, Jackson Pepe, Nick Germer and Colten Curry. The Bobcats also got recruits the Griz didn't recruit that hard like Lane Sumner, Kaleb Winterburn, Logan Kleinhans, Joey McElroy, Blake Alred, Treyton Pickering and Mark Estes.
Thanks for the insight Colter, but to your last paragraph, didn't Hauck go after Winterburn and Pickering towards signing day?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am

He did. He also went after Askelson. Ten years ago he probably would’ve got them. Lots has changed since then. Choate is a very strong and savvy recruiter as you can see by the schools he beat recruiting players the past two years.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am
iaafan wrote:

Thanks for the insight Colter, but to your last paragraph, didn't Hauck go after Winterburn and Pickering towards signing day?
Yes this is correct.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:38 pm

What ever happened with Echols, White and Burns. Did they end up anywhere? Do we have any schollies open for any big WR's to be surprisingly brought in or are we stacked with what we will have going into the season.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:38 pm
What ever happened with Echols, White and Burns. Did they end up anywhere? Do we have any schollies open for any big WR's to be surprisingly brought in or are we stacked with what we will have going into the season.
Sherod White signed with the Cats in February. Echols never happened. Burns got his offer pulled because he didn't want to sign in December.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 pm

My bad I knew about White, but wonder if Echols ever found somewhere and to bad on Burns I thought he was possibly a good one.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Echols is going to a JC in Cali.

grizband

Post by grizband » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am
He did. He also went after Askelson. Ten years ago he probably would’ve got them. Lots has changed since then. Choate is a very strong and savvy recruiter as you can see by the schools he beat recruiting players the past two years.
Askelson is among the top instate recruits I wish the Griz signed this year; Cats got a great player there!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:11 pm

John K wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:58 pm
So please explain that comment further. Why didn't UM go after any of them? Did they really think they just didn't have a realistic chance of signing them, so they targeted other players?
Coaches look for different things in a player and have connections to different high school and JC coaches. Between that and a huge number of high school football players, it's not surprising that there's little overlap between the recruiting targets of two different schools.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers