Donny Long & Pierce DeVaughn commit

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Donny Long & one ? commit

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/955860776564084736

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: BOOM X2 !!

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Might be Pierce DeVaughn?
Not James Williams who I still feel is back on board but probably going to take one last visit. The only other kid we've offered around that area code is DE Pierce DeVaughn of Plano, Texas (area code: 972). I think Pierce was one of the unconfirmed visits last weekend as Donny Long and Pierce started following each other on Twitter while on the visit. Hout, Choate, and Denarius were already following him but after the #boom's last night, BJ and Matt Miller have begun to follow him.

Anyway, Pierce is the pass-rushing prospect this class desperately needed. Great job by the coaches on finding him. Pierce is a 6'4", 235 lb. DE who is long and athletic. He beats offensive tackles with his length and goes all out every play. Per Rivals and 247Sports, he is a 2-star prospect with offers from Army and Northern Colorado and interest from Baylor and North Texas. Here is his hudl:
My uninformed take:

Pierce looks really, really raw. He appears to be athletic, but he's consistently one of the last guys off the line. Some times that's because he's stunting and it's required, but usually not. He needs to learn how to get off the ball well. He needs to learn how to use his hands, really lacking there. With that said, great length, pretty good athleticism, good motor, good size. This kid will need a redshirt plus some before he contributes, which is just fine. He's pretty raw. It's a good pickup. He could become very good.
Yeah definitely beats kids with his length and just overall raw athleticism instead of speed. But we need more kids like this in the system to develop.
Without a doubt. If he was better at the things I listed, he wouldn't be coming here.

I think he'll develop into a good player, but I don't expect him to be an immediate impact player.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Donny Long & Pierce DeVaughn commit

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:37 pm

So there is still a chance that James Williams will commit?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:So there is still a chance that James Williams will commit?
Based off what I've been told, very much so.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:20 pm

DeVaughn is extremely raw, but what he has that you can't teach is size and speed. From watching his film what I really like about him is his relentless pursuit of the quarterback and his ability to take on pulling guards to help contain and stop the run.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Really happy to have these 2 new Bobcats on board.
Welcome to the Bobcat Family Donny and Pierce!!!

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:07 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:Really happy to have these 2 new Bobcats on board.
Welcome to the Bobcat Family Donny and Pierce!!!
Very happy to have both these fellas. Get Pierce in the chow line, the weight room and lookout. That dude is goin to be up in some QB's asses.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: BOOM X2 !!

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 am

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Might be Pierce DeVaughn?
Not James Williams who I still feel is back on board but probably going to take one last visit. The only other kid we've offered around that area code is DE Pierce DeVaughn of Plano, Texas (area code: 972). I think Pierce was one of the unconfirmed visits last weekend as Donny Long and Pierce started following each other on Twitter while on the visit. Hout, Choate, and Denarius were already following him but after the #boom's last night, BJ and Matt Miller have begun to follow him.

Anyway, Pierce is the pass-rushing prospect this class desperately needed. Great job by the coaches on finding him. Pierce is a 6'4", 235 lb. DE who is long and athletic. He beats offensive tackles with his length and goes all out every play. Per Rivals and 247Sports, he is a 2-star prospect with offers from Army and Northern Colorado and interest from Baylor and North Texas. Here is his hudl:
My uninformed take:

Pierce looks really, really raw. He appears to be athletic, but he's consistently one of the last guys off the line. Some times that's because he's stunting and it's required, but usually not. He needs to learn how to get off the ball well. He needs to learn how to use his hands, really lacking there. With that said, great length, pretty good athleticism, good motor, good size. This kid will need a redshirt plus some before he contributes, which is just fine. He's pretty raw. It's a good pickup. He could become very good.
Yeah definitely beats kids with his length and just overall raw athleticism instead of speed. But we need more kids like this in the system to develop.
Beating a guy with speed is a lot harder when you're last off the line. If he improves that, there's a chance of adding a speed rush to his arsenal.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 pm

After reading that article on Long, I'm even more impressed with him. He was offered a full ride at Arizona, not just a walk-on. Picking up guys like that is critical to the Cats being able to win big games. =D^ =D^

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 pm

AFCAT wrote:After reading that article on Long, I'm even more impressed with him. He was offered a full ride at Arizona, not just a walk-on. Picking up guys like that is critical to the Cats being able to win big games. =D^ =D^
Norco OL Long chooses Bobcats over Pac 12 suitor
https://skylinesportsmt.com/norco-ol-lo ... 12-suitor/

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Donny Long & Pierce DeVaughn commit

Post by imacat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
AFCAT wrote:After reading that article on Long, I'm even more impressed with him. He was offered a full ride at Arizona, not just a walk-on. Picking up guys like that is critical to the Cats being able to win big games. =D^ =D^
Sounds like a great commit. It is not that often you hear recruits saying they like the winter weather! Idaho is no longer a FBS program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 pm

imacat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sounds like a great commit. It is not that often you hear recruits saying they like the winter weather! Idaho is no longer a FBS program.

Long is exactly the type of kids we need! Great article Colter. That piece right there is worth the price of a monthly subscription. Super stoked Long will because bobcat!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
imacat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Long is exactly the type of kids we need! Great article Colter. That piece right there is worth the price of a monthly subscription. Super stoked Long will because bobcat!
Heartwarming, but I’m not sure how to react. We see walk-ons come out of nowhere and become big contributors relatively often. This is like a walk-on in reverse. A moonwalk-on? Great way to become a fan favorite.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Plano, Texas DE DeVaughn commits to Montana State
https://skylinesportsmt.com/plano-texas ... ana-state/

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 am

TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
imacat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Heartwarming, but I’m not sure how to react. We see walk-ons come out of nowhere and become big contributors relatively often.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's not like all of our star players have been walk-ons. Akpla, Minter, and Prukop all came out of somewhere and still managed to become big contributors.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:22 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
imacat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Heartwarming, but I’m not sure how to react. We see walk-ons come out of nowhere and become big contributors relatively often.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's not like all of our star players have been walk-ons. Akpla, Minter, and Prukop all came out of somewhere and still managed to become big contributors.
Relatively often vs. all of our star players. Those two things are far from the same.

The rest of my comment that you didn’t quote gives the part you did quote context.

Hope that helps.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:21 am

Based off Donny's twitter profile, it looks like he will be going to Riverside Community College (RCC) this fall. Something Skyline could likely follow-up on. Bummer if true.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm

If true, this would suck. I looked at his twitter, but I don't see anything that indicates him going to a CC. I'm not a forensic twatter'r but maybe I'm missing something.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm
If true, this would suck. I looked at his twitter, but I don't see anything that indicates him going to a CC. I'm not a forensic twatter'r but maybe I'm missing something.
It says RCC on his twitter profile directly under his picture and he started to follow Riverside CC football. He also used to have a bunch of MSU stuff on his account. He now doesn't.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm
It says RCC on his twitter profile directly under his picture and he started to follow Riverside CC football. He also used to have a bunch of MSU stuff on his account. He now doesn't.
Your right, never really looked at twitter that much, cross my fingers it isn't true.