Donny Long & Pierce DeVaughn commit

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Donny Long & Pierce DeVaughn commit

Post by Team10 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:51 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm
If true, this would suck. I looked at his twitter, but I don't see anything that indicates him going to a CC. I'm not a forensic twatter'r but maybe I'm missing something.
It says RCC on his twitter profile directly under his picture and he started to follow Riverside CC football. He also used to have a bunch of MSU stuff on his account. He now doesn't.
Your right, never really looked at twitter that much, cross my fingers it isn't true.
He is still listed on the MSU roster that was recently updated. If he isn't attending Montana State seems like that decision was made fairly recently.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 pm

If he is, it’s bc of grades.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 pm
Yup

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Yup
According to his Hudl, he had a 3.26 GPA, so that would have to be a significant decline in grades in his last six months of school to become ineligible. He still has a lot of Cat stuff on his twitter page and follows all the coaches. Maybe this RCC thing in nothing. Anyone see him in Bozeman?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:33 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 am
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Yup
According to his Hudl, he had a 3.26 GPA, so that would have to be a significant decline in grades in his last six months of school to become ineligible. He still has a lot of Cat stuff on his twitter page and follows all the coaches. Maybe this RCC thing in nothing. Anyone see him in Bozeman?

Come on, wasn't RCC because he was working out with them this spring?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:47 am

AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Yup
One does not choose to attend a CC or JUCO over other options. It’s typically a last option.

But who knows what’s going on. We’ll find out. Believe he was in Bozeman a couple weeks ago.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 am

AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Yup
NCAA eligibility requirements are much more than gpa. ACT score, required core classes are also a big part of the equation.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:12 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 am
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Yup
NCAA eligibility requirements are much more than gpa. ACT score, required core classes are also a big part of the equation.
Yes sir. The NCAA Clearinghouse, of which not all high school guidance counselors are familiar with, have clear guidelines as to what is required in the core courses.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm

Donny Long (previously listed as #79) no longer on MSU roster so it looks fairly clear to me he isn't going to be a Bobcat this year. Another freshman not listed anymore is Sherod White. Buckle up guys because this happens every year when fall camp hits. Whether it be grades, ACT/SAT scores, or family situations, some freshman just don't make it to campus.

Not getting Donny to MSU sucks though I'm not concerned about Choate's ability to recruit bigs.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm
Donny Long (previously listed as #79) no longer on MSU roster so it looks fairly clear to me he isn't going to be a Bobcat this year. Another freshman not listed anymore is Sherod White. Buckle up guys because this happens every year when fall camp hits. Whether it be grades, ACT/SAT scores, or family situations, some freshman just don't make it to campus.

Not getting Donny to MSU sucks though I'm not concerned about Choate's ability to recruit bigs.
Do you think they would try to fill these roster spots with other recruits this fall or just wait until next spring?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:57 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

I will be curious to hear a confirmation/reason... I’m guessing it will be addressed when fall camp starts by choate? Hopefully it is something they can fix, and come here next spring or fall? Both are very promising recruits...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:00 pm

DaCats21 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:56 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Do you think they would try to fill these roster spots with other recruits this fall or just wait until next spring?
I believe the spots have already been filled with some PWO's. As far as scholly money, this is the time of year where former walk-ons and partials get the good news of earning more money.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Of course I wanted both to show up because they seem to be some very talented kids. But I think you’re right, Choate has shown that he can recruit the bigs (or just plain recruit) and as far as RB, that was arguably the deepest position of this recruiting class. So although not great news, not the end of the world here either.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:57 am

This thread was doomed from the start.

I am real pissed about Long. He was the goods.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am

I'm not necessarily concerned about Choate getting bigs but wasn't Long our only o-line recruit this year. Just makes me nervous having a whole year of not putting anything in the cupboard.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am
I'm not necessarily concerned about Choate getting bigs but wasn't Long our only o-line recruit this year. Just makes me nervous having a whole year of not putting anything in the cupboard.
Ryan Barkley was a PWO out of Colorado. Offensive tackle recruit but more of a developmental project. Choate will have to have a good oline class for 2019. Current verbal Holden Sampson out of Helena High is a great start.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am
technoCat wrote:
Ryan Barkley was a PWO out of Colorado. Offensive tackle recruit but more of a developmental project. Choate will have to have a good oline class for 2019. Current verbal Holden Sampson out of Helena High is a great start.
Also that kid out of missoula, forget his name... pretty sure he will be an OL, sounds like the coaches had him ranked as one of the top MT recruits.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am
VimSince03 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Also that kid out of missoula, forget his name... pretty sure he will be an OL, sounds like the coaches had him ranked as one of the top MT recruits.
Yeah Joey McElroy. The coaching staff flirted with putting him at TE but I think he will develop as an offensive lineman...as he should. So we got two out of last year's recruiting class.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:51 am

VimSince03 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
There is also a great core of four redshirt freshman (Redd, Wood, McKnight, Hatten) who are all pushing for time on the two deep and one will likely start (Zach Redd). As for sophomores, Lewis Kidd/Taylor Tuiasosopo will be starters and Jake Sessions/Denver Krone will push to be on the two-deep at guard/center this fall so that gives MSU seven bodies over two classes. But again, the 2019 class needs to include at least four offensive lineman in my opinion. Overall, MSU is still in pretty good shape.

spider
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Sherod White is back on the roster.

Malik Putney is not on the roster.

Also noticed a Hawaii transfer WR by the name of Davine Tullis.