New Coach Bob Cole

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Coach Bob Cole

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 pm

imacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:So Armstrong is the OC, TE, and RB coach? That's too much. Way too much. I don't like that at all. I would hope at the very least we hire a good GA who can help with the RB's or TE's.

Cole seems like a very good addition. I do like that part.
I agree. Does not make sense to me either. If Cole is not the OC (which is what I understand to be the case from the announcement) then I think he would be given a position to coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sure they are just sorting out responsibilities. Can’t imagine Army will wear all those hats during spring ball.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

It didn't work so hot for um to have gregg as the run game coordinator and whoever else the passing game coordinator. Can't remember who it was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Cole was the OC in the Orange Bowl. How many BSC teams have hired someone who served as a coordinator in a BCS bowl or anything like that?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 pm

lutecat wrote:It didn't work so hot for um to have gregg as the run game coordinator and whoever else the passing game coordinator. Can't remember who it was.

Jason McEndoo was the run game coordinator while our open door of OC's were passing game coordinators during Jason's last years. I worked just fine and its a standard form for football staffs now. This is a good fit. Im assuming GA's will be helping with RBs and TEs. Also, our TE's line up in the backfield as Hbacks in a lot of our formations so the positions can meld well under one coach. Just giving the Armstrong coaching move some sense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
lutecat wrote:It didn't work so hot for um to have gregg as the run game coordinator and whoever else the passing game coordinator. Can't remember who it was.

Jason McEndoo was the run game coordinator while our open door of OC's were passing game coordinators during Jason's last years. I worked just fine and its a standard form for football staffs now. This is a good fit. Im assuming GA's will be helping with RBs and TEs. Also, our TE's line up in the backfield as Hbacks in a lot of our formations so the positions can meld well under one coach. Just giving the Armstrong coaching move some sense.
Choate has some dial up internet in his office and can access this website. He’s had that since he moved out to Montanni from back Washington way.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Choate has some dial up internet in his office and can access this website. He’s had that since he moved out to Montanni from back Washington way.
High-speed dial up. Only have to wait 30 seconds.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:23 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

What would be highly unusual is to have a coach who is solely the passing game coordinator.

Bobcat4Ever

New Coach Bob Cole

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 pm

I like how Choate did not simply replace Pitre, but has taken advantage of the situation to try to make improvements to the staff.

Edit: Fixed Choate's name. Poor proofreader — me. Sorry.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:I like how Choat did not simply replace Pitre, but has taken advantage of the situation to try to make improvements to the staff.
*Choate

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 am

imacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

What would be highly unusual is to have a coach who is solely the passing game coordinator.

Cole has coached WR's for one year in his career, other than that the only position group he's coached has been QB's. We have two good coaches there.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

This guy might be coach Choate's best hire yet. Our stock has just gone up everybody!

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 am

bobcat99 wrote:
imacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Cole has coached WR's for one year in his career, other than that the only position group he's coached has been QB's. We have two good coaches there.
Cole is the type of coach who coaches coaches.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 am

Mr Lisle wrote:

Sounds like we just hired Bill Brasky!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

Sounds like we just hired Bill Brasky!

Okay then, raise your glasses..."TO BOB COLE!!" :D

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:so he is a former Griz coach that has a son named Bobby?

INTERESTING.

Honestly he seems like he knows what he is doing with the passing game, so I hope he helps the players and helps McGhee mature as a coach. - Not a slam at all on McGhee, just any extra help he can learn from as he continues in his career.
As "passing game coordinator," it seems he was hired more so to help Armstrong design passing plays.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

PapaG wrote:

INTERESTING.

Honestly he seems like he knows what he is doing with the passing game, so I hope he helps the players and helps McGhee mature as a coach. - Not a slam at all on McGhee, just any extra help he can learn from as he continues in his career.
As "passing game coordinator," it seems he was hired more so to help Armstrong design passing plays.
I say if he can teach anyone related to our offense a thing or 2, its a good hire.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm happy with this hire - I think he will do well for our offense.

But I'm always reminded, that it's not what the coaches know, it's what the players know.....and can execute.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Big Sky Breakdown: Jeff Choate press conference on Bob Cole hiring
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... le-hiring/

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:08 pm

PapaG wrote:

INTERESTING.

I don't disagree but i'm assuming he's there to help the offense as a whole.

I would see him mostly working with QB's and OC. With some WR/OL thrown in for good measure.

honestly I'm really excited about the hire and the help, I think someone that can help players and coaches a like is a great thing.

I re-read my statement above and I wasn't implying that McGhee is a poor coach, just that he is young and any additional help or resources is a great thing for a young coach, to be able to bounce ideas off of.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
PapaG wrote:

INTERESTING.

I don't disagree but i'm assuming he's there to help the offense as a whole.

I would see him mostly working with QB's and OC. With some WR/OL thrown in for good measure.

honestly I'm really excited about the hire and the help, I think someone that can help players and coaches a like is a great thing.

I re-read my statement above and I wasn't implying that McGhee is a poor coach, just that he is young and any additional help or resources is a great thing for a young coach, to be able to bounce ideas off of.
His hiring may in fact be the pretext for making a change at the QB position...methinks. :-k