Messingham interview

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Messingham interview

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

His thoughts on the Bison culture.
“The thing that I saw that first practice of spring was how much the team leaders — the captains, the juniors and seniors in the program — expect and demand the younger players do things right on the field,” Messingham said.

“I’m talking about how they do their individual drill work, how they do 7-on-7 passing-game stuff, how they do inside run, and there’s very few coaches telling someone that’s not the right way to do it, that’s not hard enough, that’s not with enough urgency.

“It’s the juniors and seniors, the team leaders, truly calling each other out. That makes it extremely easy for us as coaches.”
What he thinks the future holds for the Cats.
“I stay in touch and talk with coach Choate and coach Armstrong and the Bobcat staff quite often, coach (Ty) Gregorak,” Messingham said. “When you look at their season and you see the teams they played and how many games were one-score games, I can see them very easily breaking out and winning the Big Sky Conference and being a national contender very, very soon — as soon as next year.

“I think they’re that close.”
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... ccd39.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Messingham interview

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm

I don’t recall who said it, but a famous coach once said, coaches need to hold players accountable to form a good team, but it takes players holding players accountable to form a great team.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I don’t recall who said it, but a famous coach once said, coaches need to hold players accountable to form a good team, but it takes players holding players accountable to form a great team.
Joe Dumars

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Pretty cool to read that from Messingham. As much as he got crap on here from some of the fans, I think it's clear that he has a pretty good football mind and is more than competent as an OC given the right circumstances.

Let's hope he's right on the Cats being close to breaking through statement.

Ready for spring ball to hear about some of these transfers and to see/hear about the progress of the young guys on the team.