Michael Pitre Joins Oregon State as Assistant Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Pitre is taking the RB coach position at Oregon State.

Congrats Coach Pitre and thanks for the great job you've done here!

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Michael Pitre, Montana State's running backs coach since 2014, has been hired for the same position at Oregon State.

The longest-tenured Bobcat assistant during the 2017 season, Pitre helped mold one of the Big Sky's most productive running back groups during his four seasons at MSU. His most challenging season, possibly, was the most recent, when four running backs shared ball-carrying duty with quarterback Chris Murray. Still, the Bobcats led the Big Sky and finished seventh in the FCS in rushing with 249.5 yards a game.

http://msubobcats.com/news/2018/1/9/foo ... coach.aspx

DaCats21

Re: Michael Pitre Joins Oregon State as Assistant Coach

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Any guess on who will take over as Recruiting Coordinator?

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

That hurts. Happy for him, he's a good dude. Just hate losing him.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Nooooooo. Congrats, well deserved.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Pitre to OSU

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm

I saw he started following Oregon State Football's twitter account last week. Then I went to see if OSU's new head coach, Jonathan Smith, had hired a running back coach yet. As soon as I saw he hadn't, I connected the dots. I posted this about a week ago: viewtopic.php?p=619991#p619991. Pitre gets to return to the Pac-12 as a coach. Michael was a great recruiter for us and I applaud his efforts over the last five years. Good luck next year Coach Pitre!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

DaCats21 wrote:Any guess on who will take over as Recruiting Coordinator?
For my money, Matt Miller should be the next man up in that capacity. Matt has been a great recruiter since he joined MSU's staff.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Bummer for us, but congrats to Coach Pitre. Great dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I think that Cole Moore will take on an elevated role in recruiting. Coach Choate mentioned him a few times being heavily involved in the coordinating the recruiting efforts. Lose an important California connection in Pitre, he will be hard to replace in that aspect.

Glad for him though, he helped the bobcat program a tremendous amount while he was here.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 pm

bpcats20 wrote:I think that Cole Moore will take on an elevated role in recruiting. Coach Choate mentioned him a few times being heavily involved in the coordinating the recruiting efforts. Lose an important California connection in Pitre, he will be hard to replace in that aspect.

Glad for him though, he helped the bobcat program a tremendous amount while he was here.
Isnt Cole a GA? Do you think we’ll hire him as a full time coach?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Congratulations! This is my favorite time of year for young coaches. Watching these young men grow in their profession always pleases me.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Pitre to OSU

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:I saw he started following Oregon State Football's twitter account last week. Then I went to see if OSU's new head coach, Jonathan Smith, had hired a running back coach yet. As soon as I saw he hadn't, I connected the dots. I posted this about a week ago: viewtopic.php?p=619991#p619991. Pitre gets to return to the Pac-12 as a coach. Michael was a great recruiter for us and I applaud his efforts over the last five years. Good luck next year Coach Pitre!
That's a really good prediction, and an educated guess as well. The Petersen coaching tree should attract good, young assistants to Bozeman to coach under Choate since in just two years it's already seen Ioane go to UDub, Pitre to Petersen protege' Smith at OSU, and I feel like I'm forgetting one more? Not too bad considering the Bobcats haven't had a winning record in that span. I like the foundation being built by Choate, yet I also like the opportunities for coaches to move to the FBS level using the Petersen connections that Choate has and clearly isn't afraid to use in recommending guys like Kane and Michael, even if it leaves a big gap in MSU's coaching ranks, there will be a young, hungry assistant ready to take over at that spot.

Thank goodness for the early signing period, by the way. Losing your recruiting coordinator less than a month from signing day was a much bigger deal a year ago than it is now under the current system.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Congratulations Coach Pitre!! I wish you much success. Thank you for your many contributions to Bobcat football and Montana State University.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 pm

Jeff said when he was hired, that he wanted to hire coaches that would move up. If bigger programs want them too, you hired the right person. It's going to be a revolving door around here. As much as you don't want to lose them, it a good thing. Next up.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 am

PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:I saw he started following Oregon State Football's twitter account last week. Then I went to see if OSU's new head coach, Jonathan Smith, had hired a running back coach yet. As soon as I saw he hadn't, I connected the dots. I posted this about a week ago: viewtopic.php?p=619991#p619991. Pitre gets to return to the Pac-12 as a coach. Michael was a great recruiter for us and I applaud his efforts over the last five years. Good luck next year Coach Pitre!
That's a really good prediction, and an educated guess as well. The Petersen coaching tree should attract good, young assistants to Bozeman to coach under Choate since in just two years it's already seen Ioane go to UDub, Pitre to Petersen protege' Smith at OSU, and I feel like I'm forgetting one more? Not too bad considering the Bobcats haven't had a winning record in that span. I like the foundation being built by Choate, yet I also like the opportunities for coaches to move to the FBS level using the Petersen connections that Choate has and clearly isn't afraid to use in recommending guys like Kane and Michael, even if it leaves a big gap in MSU's coaching ranks, there will be a young, hungry assistant ready to take over at that spot.

Thank goodness for the early signing period, by the way. Losing your recruiting coordinator less than a month from signing day was a much bigger deal a year ago than it is now under the current system.
Gerald Alexander went to Cal.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 am

Welp .... NEXT UP!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 am

imacat wrote:Congratulations Coach Pitre!! I wish you much success. Thank you for your many contributions to Bobcat football and Montana State University.

exactly, sucks to lose him, but it is definitely a good thing. It means we have a good coaching staff. Its also a recruiting factor for Coach Choate, getting high caliber assistants to come here, he can show them examples of guys like Pitre and Alexander moving up.....

Look at it this way, you could have the opposite, and have a coach hang around here for like 5 years longer than he should have, because no other schools would be interested in hiring him away........ (cough, cough, the defensive coordinator under Ash....)

Its pretty rare that you get a really good assistant coach, that also sticks around for a long time at this level... guys like Jason McEndoo are pretty uncommon (great assistant coach, that sticks around forever).

FTG- GO CATS GO!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Gerald Alexander went to Cal.
Yep, thanks! Wilcox/Petersen connection.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 am

bpcats20 wrote:I think that Cole Moore will take on an elevated role in recruiting. Coach Choate mentioned him a few times being heavily involved in the coordinating the recruiting efforts. Lose an important California connection in Pitre, he will be hard to replace in that aspect.

He said cole looks at a lot of video of recruits. He didn't say anything about him going out and recruiting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 am

lutecat wrote:

He said cole looks at a lot of video of recruits. He didn't say anything about him going out and recruiting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Cole does go out and recruit...in-state and out-of-state.