Stick with Murray

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stick with Murray

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
AFCAT wrote:Okay, sometimes we all forget that these young men are human beings. Here is a great article about Chris from this past November that was really an eye opener for me.
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 541cf.html

I was pretty surprised that the Cats were Chris' only true option for playing football out of high school. He obviously wanted to come to MSU, get an education, and do the best he could on the field. I'm sure he wasn't planning on being the starter and face of the program at the ripe old age of 17 years old. I don't know how many of you were quarterbacking college football programs at 17 or 18 years of age, let alone being named an All American and beating the grizzlies two years in a row. I know at that age I wasn't contemplating doing anything that substantial. Anyway, my brother played for the Cats and I saw first hand the difficulties and injuries he endured and the disparaging comments he was subjected to, mostly by guys who could never hope to play at the level he was playing. I think we can keep the personal attacks on these young men to a minimum and just concentrate on other stuff.
You are as delusional as CatGrad. Where have you seen anyone call Murray names or wish ill will on him? Everyone is calling for competition and saying we need better qb play. If you think we don’t need better qb play then you should stop watching football, as you don’t know anything about the game.

When people say he doesn’t know the playbook and has issues with play calling, that’s the truth. Not made up crap. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are slow! The short bus will be here for you soon! Christ, he's a kid and all you dumb ****** that don't have any clue as to what it takes to play at this level let alone get over 1000 yards rushing need to stay in the "chat" rooms of sidney or fairview....and don't go to North Dakota. Stay in your motel room ass hat.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
AFCAT wrote:Okay, sometimes we all forget that these young men are human beings. Here is a great article about Chris from this past November that was really an eye opener for me.

I was pretty surprised that the Cats were Chris' only true option for playing football out of high school. He obviously wanted to come to MSU, get an education, and do the best he could on the field. I'm sure he wasn't planning on being the starter and face of the program at the ripe old age of 17 years old. I don't know how many of you were quarterbacking college football programs at 17 or 18 years of age, let alone being named an All American and beating the grizzlies two years in a row. I know at that age I wasn't contemplating doing anything that substantial. Anyway, my brother played for the Cats and I saw first hand the difficulties and injuries he endured and the disparaging comments he was subjected to, mostly by guys who could never hope to play at the level he was playing. I think we can keep the personal attacks on these young men to a minimum and just concentrate on other stuff.
You are as delusional as CatGrad. Where have you seen anyone call Murray names or wish ill will on him? Everyone is calling for competition and saying we need better qb play. If you think we don’t need better qb play then you should stop watching football, as you don’t know anything about the game.

When people say he doesn’t know the playbook and has issues with play calling, that’s the truth. Not made up crap. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it is what it is.

My comment was about people needlessly disparaging these young men, including Murray. There was a comment about Murray’s lack of intelligence that I thought was out of bounds and unproven by facts. If you want to criticize their play, then that’s fine, but criticizing their intellect isn’t right. We need to remember we are writing about teenagers and men in their early twenties, not pro athletes. I wrote nothing about not wanting competition at quarterback or better quarterback play.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 am

AFCAT wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

My comment was about people needlessly disparaging these young men, including Murray. There was a comment about Murray’s lack of intelligence that I thought was out of bounds and unproven by facts. If you want to criticize their play, then that’s fine, but criticizing their intellect isn’t right. We need to remember we are writing about teenagers and men in their early twenties, not pro athletes. I wrote nothing about not wanting competition at quarterback or better quarterback play.
Murray's intelligence wasn't at all being questioned. Let's make that clear. It's not that poster's fault if you equate "football IQ" to real IQ. I'm not a huge fan of that term, either, but it isn't an insult on a person's overall intelligence. An example is Jeff George, who played HS football with Jason Whitlock. Whitlock is a good friend of his, Whitlock says George is a very intelligent person, but he also said George wasn't a great NFL QB because Jeff struggled with reads and would force throws instead of going to 4th or 5th options.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:22 am

AFCAT wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Nobody made a comment about Murray's intelligence, except for you.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:45 am

Wbtfg is a good poster and I'm sure he didn't mean anything personally malicious towards Chris. But that's how it comes across when you state things like he'd only get 50% correct if you ask him what his read is, and "I’m not sure he could even identify the X or Z receiver".

The 50% stat was pulled straight out of thin air, and the other statements are a guess based on nothing.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:18 am

So far bringing in Jonsen has done more harm than good. Fortunately that’s limited to BN.com. Lol

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am

91catAlum wrote:Wbtfg is a good poster and I'm sure he didn't mean anything personally malicious towards Chris. But that's how it comes across when you state things like he'd only get 50% correct if you ask him what his read is, and "I’m not sure he could even identify the X or Z receiver".

The 50% stat was pulled straight out of thin air, and the other statements are a guess based on nothing.
I probably exaggerated a bit last night (I blame the beer), but stand by that Chris needs to get much better on the Xs and Os part of playing QB if he’s going to retain that job.

For the first time in the choate era, I look forward to someone stepping up and earning the starting qb role. It will be a fun battle to watch.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am

AFCAT wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

he said FOOTBALL IQ! that is not calling out his intelligence. hell, Murray could be a 4.0 student. but it is clear to anyone who has watched him play that he really struggles reading defenses. that is football IQ.

this is not a personal attack on the guy. he's been a GREAT bobcat. as far as I can tell he works his ass off and has done everything right. this doesn't have to be a black and white issue. you can love the guy and root for him 100% and still say the obvious that he has a ton of improvement to do if we're going to take the next step as a program.

if wbtfg was so wrong in stating the obvious, then I assume you're also angry with the staff that has said the same things and brought in competition right?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 am

Cat Grad wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

You really are slow! The short bus will be here for you soon! Christ, he's a kid and all you dumb ****** that don't have any clue as to what it takes to play at this level let alone get over 1000 yards rushing need to stay in the "chat" rooms of sidney or fairview....and don't go to North Dakota. Stay in your motel room ass hat.
Haha you know as much about playing football as you do politics and sarcasm. Please don’t ever leave the board so I can continue to have a source of amusement.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 am

All of the people on here that are freaking out over the criticism of Murray's football play exemplify what is wrong with America today. People simply looking for a reason to be offended, and then professing to take the moral high ground when someone disagrees with their opinion, shouting down their detractors with personal insults all the while using personal insults against them. This place is turning into egriz .... :coffee:

Back to the topic at hand, I'm just hoping for a QB next year who completes 55-60% of his passes every game, while throwing between 20 and 25 passes.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am

I just think those criticizing Murray's ability to read the field need to realize they don't know everything just because they "watched the tape". We don't know what it looked like from Chris' angle. We don't know if the coaches were telling him to be ultra conservative(which I guarantee they were). We don't know how Chris does in the quiet of a QB room. I think if you were to "watch tape" on 90% of college QBs at any level, you would see the same level of indecisiveness and "failing to find a second option". Especially with QBs that are capable of running the ball. Chris was young and showed it at times but he also showed flashes of brilliant QB play. The question I had was why aren't the plays being called to put him in that mode more often. I think everyone needs to grow a bit on this team.

Long story short, we need better QB play IN THE PASSING GAME. We need Chris/anyone to play like he did at the end of the Northern Arizona game or 2nd half of the SDSU game. I don't disagree that competition will help whomever rises to the top. I personally am hoping that Murray gets the chance to prove it on the field.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:22 pm

msuhunter wrote:All of the people on here that are freaking out over the criticism of Murray's football play exemplify what is wrong with America today. People simply looking for a reason to be offended, and then professing to take the moral high ground when someone disagrees with their opinion, shouting down their detractors with personal insults all the while using personal insults against them. This place is turning into egriz .... :coffee:

Back to the topic at hand, I'm just hoping for a QB next year who completes 55-60% of his passes every game, while throwing between 20 and 25 passes.
Year Team G Cmp Att Comp % Yds Yd/A TDs Int
2016 MontSt 11 47 105 44.8 778 7.4 6 8
2017 MontSt 11 120 233 51.5 1597 6.9 15 9

Chris made GREAT strides from last year and he fully understands what it will take to become an elite level D1 QB. I am 100% confident he will put in the work and continue to improve. If he only improves at the same level he's demonstrated so far, that will put him around your 60% completion rate.

As others have stated, we are in good hands at the QB position and if Chris remains the starter and improves only slightly... we are a playoff team in 2018.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 pm

technoCat wrote:I just think those criticizing Murray's ability to read the field need to realize they don't know everything just because they "watched the tape". We don't know what it looked like from Chris' angle. We don't know if the coaches were telling him to be ultra conservative(which I guarantee they were). We don't know how Chris does in the quiet of a QB room. I think if you were to "watch tape" on 90% of college QBs at any level, you would see the same level of indecisiveness and "failing to find a second option". Especially with QBs that are capable of running the ball. Chris was young and showed it at times but he also showed flashes of brilliant QB play. The question I had was why aren't the plays being called to put him in that mode more often. I think everyone needs to grow a bit on this team.

Long story short, we need better QB play IN THE PASSING GAME. We need Chris/anyone to play like he did at the end of the Northern Arizona game or 2nd half of the SDSU game. I don't disagree that competition will help whomever rises to the top. I personally am hoping that Murray gets the chance to prove it on the field.
i'm not trying to open a can of worms here. and i'm certainly not trying to paint a picture that coaches have zero faith in murray. but I have heard directly from coaches exactly what I said above. both in qb club film watching as well as away from the field all together. nothing malicious at all...just what was said. so it's not just "watching the tape". it's watching games, watching tape in with coaches explaining the tape, listening to what coaches have said, and the fact that we brought in competition.

I agree with your last statement. we do need to get better.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:06 pm

I thought the last two games were the most productive back to back games offensively under Choate. Murray played his role in the Choate offense nearly flawlessly. I think he will maintain that level. Jonsen will need to be better than that and to do so he will need to improve.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 pm

iaafan wrote:So far bringing in Jonsen has done more harm than good. Fortunately that’s limited to BN.com. Lol
How so? Even Choate says QB play needs to be elevated. MSU isn't going to win a Big Sky title averaging 145 ypg in the air, and MSU is lucky Murray hasn't been injured yet with as many hits he takes running the ball.

EDIT - didn't see your last part. Hey, at least there is something to discuss!
Last edited by PapaG on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 pm

iaafan wrote:I thought the last two games were the most productive back to back games offensively under Choate. Murray played his role in the Choate offense nearly flawlessly. I think he will maintain that level. Jonsen will need to be better than that and to do so he will need to improve.
Choate obviously disagrees with your thought on what offense he wants to run, but the NAU game is probably close to what he wants to see every week, and not just every 5th week.

What a ride

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 pm

He’s not disagreeing with me. He’s telling me and everyone. The und game is the perfect example. Murray throws 19 passes gets 174 yards and three TDs. “Brian called an excellent game...Chris is really good.”

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Saying a player has a low football IQ is not a personal attack per se. Just a fact. I here this all the time when espn is discussing draft picks. There are guys with 4.0's in engineering that have a poor football IQ. Reading X's and O's is far different and requires a far different skill set then reading a technical paper. I was a pretty good engineer student and I could never pick out the right receiver if I practiced for 4 years every day.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Haha you know as much about playing football as you do politics and sarcasm. Please don’t ever leave the board so I can continue to have a source of amusement.

Simple things amuse simple people; however, I'm not simple. Like you. Going to go amuse yourself I presume?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Simple things amuse simple people; however, I'm not simple. Like you. Going to go amuse yourself I presume?
I just search your posts and find all the amusement I need. You are our version of the offspring of PlayerRep/AG1 having a kid.

......talk about an abomination.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level