Stick with Murray

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

dUMb
New Recruit

Stick with Murray

Post by dUMb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:29 pm

I don't post much on here, as this will only be my second post. I just enjoy sitting back and reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. I'm posting today because I don't get why so many of you want Murray out as QB. Sure there looks to be some great talent coming in but that doesn't mean anything. Rovig and Baumann haven't played a down and now there's another former 4 star Juco transfer coming in with stats that really don't pop out as impressive....remember Bruggman? I'm not knocking this kid but to say he should be the starter is a head scratcher. Murray has been the guy and should stay the guy. The whole team has been in re-build mode, not just the quarterback. He's shown enough that he is the guy that should have the ball in his hands every play. I for one, obviously, am a huge fan of his and see how far he has come and can see he can improve so much more! Looking forward to 2018!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stick with Murray

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 pm

dUMb wrote:I don't post much on here, as this will only be my second post. I just enjoy sitting back and reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. I'm posting today because I don't get why so many of you want Murray out as QB. Sure there looks to be some great talent coming in but that doesn't mean anything. Rovig and Baumann haven't played a down and now there's another former 4 star Juco transfer coming in with stats that really don't pop out as impressive....remember Bruggman? I'm not knocking this kid but to say he should be the starter is a head scratcher. Murray has been the guy and should stay the guy. The whole team has been in re-build mode, not just the quarterback. He's shown enough that he is the guy that should have the ball in his hands every play. I for one, obviously, am a huge fan of his and see how far he has come and can see he can improve so much more! Looking forward to 2018!
love murray. but if this question for real then the answer is simple; accuracy and reading defenses. if he wins the competition more power to him. but he MUST show significant improvement in these areas.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:47 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
dUMb wrote:I don't post much on here, as this will only be my second post. I just enjoy sitting back and reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. I'm posting today because I don't get why so many of you want Murray out as QB. Sure there looks to be some great talent coming in but that doesn't mean anything. Rovig and Baumann haven't played a down and now there's another former 4 star Juco transfer coming in with stats that really don't pop out as impressive....remember Bruggman? I'm not knocking this kid but to say he should be the starter is a head scratcher. Murray has been the guy and should stay the guy. The whole team has been in re-build mode, not just the quarterback. He's shown enough that he is the guy that should have the ball in his hands every play. I for one, obviously, am a huge fan of his and see how far he has come and can see he can improve so much more! Looking forward to 2018!
love murray. but if this question for real then the answer is simple; accuracy and reading defenses. if he wins the competition more power to him. but he MUST show significant improvement in these areas.
I agree with both those points on Chris. I think everybody here appreciates what he has done the past two seasons, this team might have been winless outside of DII games without him those years, but the offense needs to be more balanced, because to compete for a national title, or even win a few playoff games, what the offense has been is simply not at that level. If the passing game clicks for Chris this year in terms of reading defenses and accuracy, he's an NFL-caliber QB who would be nearly unstoppable to defend. He wasn't close to that last season in the passing game, though, and again, it's not his fault one bit. I'll repost Choate's comments about MSU's QB play on bringing in Jonsen for those who may not have read them already. The staff acknowledges QB play must improve in the passing game, so it's not really about wanting to bench Chris as it is hoping one of the three can help Armstrong expand the playbook and consistently move the ball against the better teams in the conference, let alone the nation. Beating the Griz is nice, don't get me wrong, but Semore was awful as a defensive coordinator. Winning two games against that defense throwing for a combined 135 yards while rushing for 696 yards in the two games isn't a sustainable way to win titles. Gregorak's defense was just as much a key against the Stitt Show, too.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... ign=LEEDCC
But MSU coach Jeff Choate knows that for his team to take the next step it must up the ante. Wednesday’s signing of Riverside City College and former Oregon quarterback Travis Jonsen, Choate said, raises the stakes among MSU’s signal-callers.

“That’s what the objective was,” Choate said during a press conference announcing 16 new additions. “We need to create competition and add value at that quarterback position.

“At the end of the day, I think we’re going to be able to put a team out there that is going to be good enough to compete for a championship — if, and only if, we have championship-level quarterback play. And so Travis is going to be a young man that I think can help elevate that room.

“He’s Jonsen) an accomplished player and is a guy that I think brings immediate credibility to that room when he steps in there with some of the things that he achieved as a high school player, as well,” Choate said.

“I think he sees this as an opportunity to be in a position where his skill set is valued. (He’s) very similar in terms of some of his athletic ability to what Chris has. We see it as an opportunity for a young man like Chris to be challenged and pushed, and that’s what we need to be our best in this program.

“If we get championship-level quarterback play, look out. And that’s what we’re hoping Travis can come in and (do) — compete with guys that are in the program, like Tucker Rovig and Chris Murray, and bring some maturity and some experience with him.””
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Why have a separate thread? This is exactly what is being discussed (at nauseum) in the Jonsen thread.

It’s simple, they’ll all compete and the best QB next year will be the starter. End of discussion. I don’t think anyone “wants” Murray to get the boot or for Jonsen to be handed the position. People want better QB play, regardless of who it’s from, period.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Catsrgrood wrote: I don’t think anyone “wants” Murray to get the boot or for Jonsen to be handed the position. People want better QB play, regardless of who it’s from, period.

This!!!!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:Why have a separate thread? This is exactly what is being discussed (at nauseum) in the Jonsen thread.

It’s simple, they’ll all compete and the best QB next year will be the starter. End of discussion. I don’t think anyone “wants” Murray to get the boot or for Jonsen to be handed the position. People want better QB play, regardless of who it’s from, period.

yeah, pretty much sums it up.

My 2 cents... I am a fan of Murray, and hope he can improve enough this off season to keep the job..... I think he will have to improve dramatically for this to happen though....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Murray’s football IQ is below most high school seniors. If you ask him what the read is on any given play he’d have about a 50% success rate. He relies completely on running and improvisation. I’m not sure he could even identify the X or Z receiver on all of the route combinations.

He really, really struggles with the X’s and O’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:19 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Murray’s football IQ is below most high school seniors. If you ask him what the read is on any given play he’d have about a 50% success rate. He relies completely on running and improvisation. I’m not sure he could even identify the X or Z receiver on all of the route combinations.

Get a life.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Get a life.
Think I’m wrong?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 pm

AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Get a life.
You should probably back off here. He's not wrong.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 pm

I've said many times, move Murray to half back, rovig or the new guy to QB, add the new fullback, run the wildcat.
Three passers, well 1 and two possible passers...

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Get a life.
As usual you act like a dick for no reason.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Get a life.
No, he is wrong. Have you talked with Chris or his coaches? Have you researched "most" high school seniors football IQs? This is really an exaggerated statement meant to be mean to a college athlete. This young man is 19 years old and doing the best job he can and doing it pretty well. Sure, he can improve, but leave it at that and stay away from remarks about his IQ.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Get a life.
No, he is wrong. Have you talked with Chris or his coaches? Have you researched "most" high school seniors football IQs? This is really an exaggerated statement meant to be mean to a college athlete. This young man is 19 years old and doing the best job he can and doing it pretty well. Sure, he can improve, but leave it at that and stay away from remarks about his IQ.
My bad, bro. Everything is Unicorns, Fairies and Rainbows.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Okay, sometimes we all forget that these young men are human beings. Here is a great article about Chris from this past November that was really an eye opener for me.
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 541cf.html

I was pretty surprised that the Cats were Chris' only true option for playing football out of high school. He obviously wanted to come to MSU, get an education, and do the best he could on the field. I'm sure he wasn't planning on being the starter and face of the program at the ripe old age of 17 years old. I don't know how many of you were quarterbacking college football programs at 17 or 18 years of age, let alone being named an All American and beating the grizzlies two years in a row. I know at that age I wasn't contemplating doing anything that substantial. Anyway, my brother played for the Cats and I saw first hand the difficulties and injuries he endured and the disparaging comments he was subjected to, mostly by guys who could never hope to play at the level he was playing. I think we can keep the personal attacks on these young men to a minimum and just concentrate on other stuff.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:Okay, sometimes we all forget that these young men are human beings. Here is a great article about Chris from this past November that was really an eye opener for me.

I was pretty surprised that the Cats were Chris' only true option for playing football out of high school. He obviously wanted to come to MSU, get an education, and do the best he could on the field. I'm sure he wasn't planning on being the starter and face of the program at the ripe old age of 17 years old. I don't know how many of you were quarterbacking college football programs at 17 or 18 years of age, let alone being named an All American and beating the grizzlies two years in a row. I know at that age I wasn't contemplating doing anything that substantial. Anyway, my brother played for the Cats and I saw first hand the difficulties and injuries he endured and the disparaging comments he was subjected to, mostly by guys who could never hope to play at the level he was playing. I think we can keep the personal attacks on these young men to a minimum and just concentrate on other stuff.
You are as delusional as CatGrad. Where have you seen anyone call Murray names or wish ill will on him? Everyone is calling for competition and saying we need better qb play. If you think we don’t need better qb play then you should stop watching football, as you don’t know anything about the game.

When people say he doesn’t know the playbook and has issues with play calling, that’s the truth. Not made up crap. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it is what it is.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm

AFCAT wrote:Okay, sometimes we all forget that these young men are human beings. Here is a great article about Chris from this past November that was really an eye opener for me.

It is not a personal attack. Saying he has poor football IQ is just like saying that he has a weak arm, or he's slow, or any other number of attributes. You can have a poor football IQ and still be an intelligent person. It's just one facet of life.

Anyways, to suggest it's a personal attack is ludicrous. I can watch the tape and see that he lacks field awareness and situational awareness. That he has still been able to succeed in spite of that is actually quite amazing. He's a very good athlete. He's not a very good QB.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Stick with Murray

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:47 pm

I agree with all you said and I think Chris is a great athlete and a great Bobcat, but still has many shortcomings as a QB. I don’t consider pointing that out as a personal attack. I’m not calling out his work ethic, or character. By saying his football IQ is lacking, I’m not saying he personally lacks intelligence. But the fact of the matter is, he has a LONG ways to go.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:51 pm

wbtfg wrote:

I agree with all you said and I think Chris is a great athlete and a great Bobcat, but still has many shortcomings as a QB. I don’t consider pointing that out as a personal attack. I’m not calling out his work ethic, or character. By saying his football IQ is lacking, I’m not saying he personally lacks intelligence. But the fact of the matter is, he has a LONG ways to go.

I agree with you that he needs to improve, but so does everyone else, including all of us fans, me included.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Murray has quality competition in the QB group. Choate and his staff know what they are doing. Murray started this year because he gave us the best chance to win. If he wins the competition I’ll be happy for him as I’m a big fan of his and would like to see him maintain the job. If someone else gets the nod I’ll trust the coaches and hope they get Murray involved in other ways.