4* Former Oregon QB Travis Jonsen to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 4* Former Oregon QB Travis Jonsen to MSU

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:Good Lord! Don't any of you people ski? Go burn off some of this out of control energy, some of you seem to have. The team is still on Christmas vacation. Give it a rest until 2018. Damn #-o #-o #-o
Going tomorrow morning in red lodge, I have skied at least once a week since thanksgiving. Now come on and dump the 2 feet of pow in beartooths and absorkas like your supposed to Mother Nature.
Stop in at the Snow Creek on the way back to Billings and have one with Charlie Noel. Good Bobcat and a good dude.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:Good Lord! Don't any of you people ski? Go burn off some of this out of control energy, some of you seem to have. The team is still on Christmas vacation. Give it a rest until 2018. Damn #-o #-o #-o
Going tomorrow morning in red lodge, I have skied at least once a week since thanksgiving. Now come on and dump the 2 feet of pow in beartooths and absorkas like your supposed to Mother Nature.
Stop in at the Snow Creek on the way back to Billings and have one with Charlie Noel. Good Bobcat and a good dude.
I have spent some crazy nights in the snow creek. I knew the bar was a bobcat bar but I have never met Charlie, tomorrow may be the day.

If your left, you aren’t right.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I know Charlie from both the R-Bar and then I also worked at Bronken's with him before I left Bozeman. When I found out he bought the Snow Creek I was surprised since Red Lodge is where half of my family grew up and I spent a lot of time there, both at Rock Dodge Mtn. and later the Snow Creek once I hit HS, er, college and would visit grandparents. Stag/Blue Ribbon/Bull n' Bear plus the Grizzly Bar by my buddy's ranch outside Roscoe, man I can't wait to back to Red Lodge for the 4th of July next summer.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:18 am

I am not sure why there is such an argument over having depth and competition at the QB spot!! It's finally like every other position the cats have, every other player on the team is on the hot seat for their position! Why shouldn't the QB?? I think this will be a great thing for all involved! Can't wait for spring ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:25 am

Think SC nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:22 am

PapaG wrote:Why does anybody care what others are doing with their time, or what they are posting if it is about positions for next year and related to Bobcat football?

Talk about wasting time and energy, to first even care about how people you don't know are spending time "and energy," but then to take the "time and energy" to post it? Wow.

Mind your own business. Weird.

"I don't like what you guys are posting, it hurts my fee-fees, so I'm going to tell you to stop and say you're wasting time and energy as I waste my own time and energy caring about what you guys are posting and telling you what you should do."

:roll:

Soft
come on papa! stop talking this bs football stuff! this is clearly a skiing thread. must be a skiing board. wait? this is bobcatnation? must be a skiing forum? no? this is a football forum??! what the hell? i'm so confused....

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 am

PapaG wrote:The snow at all the ski areas on Mt. Hood and also at Mt. Bachelor sucks right now, which is why I'm not skiing this week.
Hey, I might have seen Travis Jonsen skiing Mt. Bachelor. \:D/

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
PapaG wrote:The snow at all the ski areas on Mt. Hood and also at Mt. Bachelor sucks right now, which is why I'm not skiing this week.
Hey, I might have seen Travis Jonsen skiing Mt. Bachelor. \:D/
He's wasting his money if he went this week. Ha!

What a ride

syvie5
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by syvie5 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:30 am

spring creek cat wrote:I am not sure why there is such an argument over having depth and competition at the QB spot!! It's finally like every other position the cats have, every other player on the team is on the hot seat for their position! Why shouldn't the QB?? I think this will be a great thing for all involved! Can't wait for spring ball

Great posting...someone talking common sense instead of arguing like a 3rd grader!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:16 am

syvie5 wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:I am not sure why there is such an argument over having depth and competition at the QB spot!! It's finally like every other position the cats have, every other player on the team is on the hot seat for their position! Why shouldn't the QB?? I think this will be a great thing for all involved! Can't wait for spring ball

Great posting...someone talking common sense instead of arguing like a 3rd grader!
I agree with this. The QB situation is more promising than last year. Last year, they needed significant improvement in the passing game to be a playoff team, and realistically the only way that was going to happen was significant improvement from Murray. This year, they need significant improvement in the passing game to be a playoff team, but they have three realistic options. They could still get significant improvement from Murray, and I don't see how any Bobcat fan could be bothered by that idea. Now, there's also a chance of Jonsen coming in and being an improved version of Murray, and a chance of Rovig pulling a Lulay/McGhee. I don't see how any Bobcat fan could be bothered by those ideas, either.

There is also a chance that two of the QBs end up in a Leak/Tebow type of situation. I do see how a fan could be bothered by that idea--it's widely believed that a team with two QBs who play doesn't have a QB who should play--but it worked out okay for Urban Meyer.

Anyway, I don't know how anyone can claim to know with any certainty how the QB position will shake out. Incumbents sometimes raise their game and keep their position. Heralded transfers sometimes come in and play well. Redshirt freshmen sometimes come in and surprise everyone by grabbing the starting spot and never letting go. December is way too early to take any of those possibilities off the table. Can we at least wait until the spring game to declare an absolute, 100%, no-doubt winner for the starting QB job? :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 am

100 percent agree. I know this has been hashed out enough, but I just wanted to point out one more thing. I don't see anyone saying it's a bad idea to have more and better competition at the QB position. That seems like a no brainier and I think everyone pretty much agrees with this. The only area where it looks like there is disagreement within the fan base is..... whether Murray has what it takes to become a championship caliber QB for the Cats. It seems as though some have written him off and already decided that he's not it, whereas myself and others still think he can get there. It's all good though and again I think we all agree we will be improved at QB in 2018 regardless of how it all plays out. Will be awesome watching these guys compete in Spring Ball. Hope everyone has a blast to close out 2017 today, be safe out there if anyone is driving!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:23 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:I don't care if we currently had Lulay and McGhee, a coach would be an idiot if he had a former 4-star QB looking to transfer from the likes of Oregon and not take him.
I don't necessarily see this as a lack of faith in Murray.
When the head coach literally says that QB play needs to be championship-level and it currently is not, it's not exactly a vote of confidence, is it?

What a ride

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:42 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:I don't care if we currently had Lulay and McGhee, a coach would be an idiot if he had a former 4-star QB looking to transfer from the likes of Oregon and not take him.
When the head coach literally says that QB play needs to be championship-level and it currently is not, it's not exactly a vote of confidence, is it?
No, I wouldn't call that a vote of confidence but I also wouldn't call it a lack of confidence in Murray. Some great quotes from Choate in the Tribune article today. When Mansch asked him if Chris was the starting QB,

"Oh yes. He's the leader in the club house. He's QB 1 right now. But we need to create competition. If we can do that and he steps up to the plate and improves the way we think he can, he's going to be awesome."

He also talked about how Chris has stepped up every time the coaches have challenged him. Specifically Choate said he was frustrated with his performance against EWU because Choate felt all week we were going to beat them, and then Chris had a bad game with the turnovers, etc. So they challenged him on that and the next week Chris "had probably the best game of his career in a loss to NAU (37-36) just in terms of how he operated the offense and some of the decisions he made and how he threw the ball with authority. And that's why I think we need to provide the competition. Whenever we've challenged Chris, he's always stepped up to the plate."

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:46 pm

PapaG wrote:
Good players who want to be great (championship level) players wouldn't look at that statement as being a vote of confidence or not but rather being a statement of challenge that they must meet.
Any of our players at the QB position who view it as a vote might as well take the bench now because the only ones who will be competing for the job are those who focus on the challenge before them and attack it as such. Of those who compete to meet that challenge, win or lose they will have made themselves better players who have earned respect from their teammates and coaches and will most likely get significant and meaningful playing time if not at the starting QB position then in some other way or somewhere else on the field.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm

All I know is whoever wins the job we should see a nice improvement from last year in that department.

I think it's pretty hard to say "if only we had better passing we'd be in the playoffs", but if the other end of the statement indicates another guy besides Murray, it's greatly discounting what Murray can do with his feet. Sure a guy like Rovig or Jonsen may come in and sling the ball better, but that isn't the only way a QB moves the chains, and Murray moved the chain with his feet a lot this year, many times on a crucial 3rd or 4th down.

Did you know that MSU was 3rd in the Big Sky in 3rd down conversions (43.4%) and 1st in 4th down conversions (78.3%)? A lot of that success was Murray making it happen.

If Murray is the guy he needs to throw the ball better, plain and simple, if we want to be a playoff contender. But just because someone else can throw it better than Murray doesn't mean were automatically a playoff contender either.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Choate in Tribune:
At the quarterback position, in my mind we had to get somebody there to really elevate the level of competition in that room. Not just now but for the future. There has to be somebody in there pushing Chris (Murray). If Chris ends up being our starting quarterback it means he’s improved and that’s going to be good for the Bobcats.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 pm

CelticCat wrote:All I know is whoever wins the job we should see a nice improvement from last year in that department.

I think it's pretty hard to say "if only we had better passing we'd be in the playoffs", but if the other end of the statement indicates another guy besides Murray, it's greatly discounting what Murray can do with his feet. Sure a guy like Rovig or Jonsen may come in and sling the ball better, but that isn't the only way a QB moves the chains, and Murray moved the chain with his feet a lot this year, many times on a crucial 3rd or 4th down.

Did you know that MSU was 3rd in the Big Sky in 3rd down conversions (43.4%) and 1st in 4th down conversions (78.3%)? A lot of that success was Murray making it happen.

If Murray is the guy he needs to throw the ball better, plain and simple, if we want to be a playoff contender. But just because someone else can throw it better than Murray doesn't mean were automatically a playoff contender either.
There's also the need for depth. Murray hasn't missed a down due to injury which is somewhat amazing given how much he runs-and we would have been in big trouble had he been injured. We need another guy-just for injury coverage. Look at what happened to the griz last season. You need more than one good quarterback, and probably more than two-which we now have.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 pm

I think it is quite telling that the coaches brought in a dual threat qb with 2 years of eligibility, same as Murray. That indicates to me that they are planning on running an option offense and it will be Murray or Jonsen as the starting qb and the other as the backup. Ideally, you would have #1 and #2 qbs with similar skill sets so the offense is suited to both. If the starter is injured or struggles, #2 can play without reworking the offense like in 2016.

After the next 2 years, the offense may change significantly with Rovig and others having different strengths.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:52 am

CelticCat wrote:I think it's pretty hard to say "if only we had better passing we'd be in the playoffs", but if the other end of the statement indicates another guy besides Murray, it's greatly discounting what Murray can do with his feet. Sure a guy like Rovig or Jonsen may come in and sling the ball better, but that isn't the only way a QB moves the chains, and Murray moved the chain with his feet a lot this year, many times on a crucial 3rd or 4th down.
Jonsen is a dual-threat, too.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 am

I understand, but that doesn’t mean he will be as effective as Murray.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast