4* Former Oregon QB Travis Jonsen to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 4* Former Oregon QB Travis Jonsen to MSU

Post by technoCat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
robgriz wrote:
1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:This thread is out of control. Chris Murray is one of the top all-around football players in the Big Sky Conference & FCS level. Granted, he has a lot of room to improve still.

Consider the guy was thrown into the fire as a 17 yr old true freshman to lead a winless offense with a first year OC & first year HC (whose expertise lies in defense & special teams). The next year they rewarded him by replacing the OC with another first year OC (with only NAIA experience)!

The only way these other QBs see the field next year is if Murray gets carted off the field on a stretcher. And that aint happenin, Jack!
He is a very athletic young man. A good qb? Serviceable would be the term I would use. The role handed him as a 17 year old was pretty tough admittedly, however that doesn’t mean he was a good qb, he was just the best available option. IMO. Not trying to disparage the young man, as I say he is very athletic
agreed.

murray is such a polarizing figure. I don't recall a guy that had so much discussion about him that varied so much about where he is as a player. some people (not necessarily from this board) think there's zero chance he should be qb. hell, a woman I have seats next to bashed him all year this season when he was the easy choice as qb if for no other reason than default! others think he should be qb but needs to improve. and others think there is no way he SHOULDN'T be our qb!

it's really pretty interesting.

i'm just very excited that there seems to be a legitimate competition. I trust this staff. if Murray comes away as the starter after this spring I'll believe that it's because the coaches believe he's our best option. obviously the hope is that if he were to win it is because he looked amazing...and NOT because his competition isn't as good as we hoped.

it will be an exciting spring!
I honestly want the best guy to start but I'm petrified the coaches will either get stars in their eyes and start Jonsen or Rovig will be a workout warrior and win it in practice, Murray will transfer because he doesn't want to play WR, and then the starter will fall on their face like Bruggman and to a lesser extent Cody Kempt.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 pm

technoCat wrote:
I honestly want the best guy to start but I'm petrified the coaches will either get stars in their eyes and start Jonsen or Rovig will be a workout warrior and win it in practice, Murray will transfer because he doesn't want to play WR, and then the starter will fall on their face like Bruggman and to a lesser extent Cody Kempt.
The exact opposite has an equal chance of happening. Depends on how you look at things.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't care if we currently had Lulay and McGhee, a coach would be an idiot if he had a former 4-star QB looking to transfer from the likes of Oregon and not take him.
I don't necessarily see this as a lack of faith in Murray.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Wasn't O'reilly offensive scout player of the year?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:44 pm

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:This thread is out of control. Chris Murray is one of the top all-around football players in the Big Sky Conference & FCS level. Granted, he has a lot of room to improve still.

Consider the guy was thrown into the fire as a 17 yr old true freshman to lead a winless offense with a first year OC & first year HC (whose expertise lies in defense & special teams). The next year they rewarded him by replacing the OC with another first year OC (with only NAIA experience)!

The only way these other QBs see the field next year is if Murray gets carted off the field on a stretcher. And that aint happenin, Jack!
I completely agree with this opinion. The problem with it is, the Bobcats need him to become one of the top all-around QBs in the Big Sky and FCS to compete for titles. Nobody here is insulting Murray at all, but rather seem to be echoing Choate's thoughts on the position.

Go back to last offseason and you'll see myself and other posters saying the same exact things on what Murray or the QB position needed to do in order for the Bobcats to compete for a conference title. Nobody was insulting him, his all-around play was profusely complimented, but the passing game was simplistic and not championship-worth.

Well, those improvements didn't happen, and the Bobcats didn't compete for a conference title largely because the offense would stall against better teams. It is what it is. MSU needs better and more balanced QB play next year to compete for a conference championship, and I don't care who of Murray/Rovig/Jonsen/Baumann it is that elevates play at that position to make the Bobcats contenders.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm

technoCat wrote:
Let's be real here though. If it's the same Murray as last year at QB, and with the OOC schedule MSU has, we as fans are looking straight in the face at 5-6/6-5 again. What I wonder is where Murray could transfer to and still play QB. A run-heavy team like Cal-Poly? Kennesaw State? Choate doesn't want to run that offense, which is why he's bringing in QBs that have a history in the passing game, at least in HS.

What a ride

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 pm

PapaG wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Let's be real here though. If it's the same Murray as last year at QB, and with the OOC schedule MSU has, we as fans are looking straight in the face at 5-6/6-5 again. What I wonder is where Murray could transfer to and still play QB. A run-heavy team like Cal-Poly? Kennesaw State? Choate doesn't want to run that offense, which is why he's bringing in QBs that have a history in the passing game, at least in HS.
Murray probably not interested, but for starters, Montana Tech would love to have another Bobcat quarterback.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Good God, now we are kind of suggesting places for Murray to transfer? Instead of the second coming of Christ we have the second coming of Egriz developing right in front of us. Only on fan boards can someone, whom hasn't even stepped on the field, be better than the person that has previously played and has had some success. :roll:

Everybody wants better qb play, me included, but it will take more than a upgrade at qb to be successful. The play calling needs to change and the complexity of the routes needs to change. Both the complexity of the plays and the slow developing routes due to the complexity hurt us last year and it wouldn't have mattered if we had Travis Lulay back there.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Good God, now we are kind of suggesting places for Murray to transfer? Instead of the second coming of Christ we have the second coming of Egriz developing right in front of us. Only on fan boards can someone, whom hasn't even stepped on the field, be better than the person that has previously played and has had some success. :roll:

Everybody wants better qb play, me included, but it will take more than a upgrade at qb to be successful. The play calling needs to change and the complexity of the routes needs to change. Both the complexity of the plays and the slow developing routes due to the complexity hurt us last year and it wouldn't have mattered if we had Travis Lulay back there.
There's room to blame both isn't there? I'd like to be able to run an offense that the coaches don't have to simplify every week.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Good God, now we are kind of suggesting places for Murray to transfer? Instead of the second coming of Christ we have the second coming of Egriz developing right in front of us. Only on fan boards can someone, whom hasn't even stepped on the field, be better than the person that has previously played and has had some success. :roll:

There's room to blame both isn't there? I'd like to be able to run an offense that the coaches don't have to simplify every week.
Yes there is room to blame both for sure, that's why I said I agreed in people wanting better qb play.

All the talk about transferring, and choate wouldn't bring a guy in unless he was going to be the starter, etc. is a little ridiculous IMO, especially when we are talking about players whom have never played before or in Jonsen's case having played very little.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:13 pm

So the take away from this thread is everyone should shut up and the board is shuttered until spring ball. How dare anyone talk about recruits' places on the team and what may happen next fall! What do you think this is, a football board?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:51 pm

This place is going full egriz on this thread... You never go full egriz...

It's the holiday season, 3 day weekend coming up, let's all just have a beer or 10 and relax.

Go Cats

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Good Lord! Don't any of you people ski? Go burn off some of this out of control energy, some of you seem to have. The team is still on Christmas vacation. Give it a rest until 2018. Damn #-o #-o #-o

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:03 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:Good Lord! Don't any of you people ski? Go burn off some of this out of control energy, some of you seem to have. The team is still on Christmas vacation. Give it a rest until 2018. Damn #-o #-o #-o
Going tomorrow morning in red lodge, I have skied at least once a week since thanksgiving. Now come on and dump the 2 feet of pow in beartooths and absorkas like your supposed to Mother Nature.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Why does anybody care what others are doing with their time, or what they are posting if it is about positions for next year and related to Bobcat football?

Talk about wasting time and energy, to first even care about how people you don't know are spending time "and energy," but then to take the "time and energy" to post it? Wow.

Mind your own business. Weird.

"I don't like what you guys are posting, it hurts my fee-fees, so I'm going to tell you to stop and say you're wasting time and energy as I waste my own time and energy caring about what you guys are posting and telling you what you should do."

:roll:

Soft

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:Good Lord! Don't any of you people ski? Go burn off some of this out of control energy, some of you seem to have. The team is still on Christmas vacation. Give it a rest until 2018. Damn #-o #-o #-o
Going tomorrow morning in red lodge, I have skied at least once a week since thanksgiving. Now come on and dump the 2 feet of pow in beartooths and absorkas like your supposed to Mother Nature.
Skiing is near perfect at Great Divide. Big Sky is rolling in it, too.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I was at GD yesterday and today. Great skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
That’s what I have heard, gonna try Great Divide one of these times. Great Divide, Discovery, and Grand Targhee are on the agenda next year. Showdown was great last week if anybody cares, the trees were fully flocked. \:D/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
That’s what I have heard, gonna try Great Divide one of these times. Great Divide, Discovery, and Grand Targhee are on the agenda next year. Showdown was great last week if anybody cares, the trees were fully flocked. \:D/
Showdown always gets great snow. What a place.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 pm

The snow at all the ski areas on Mt. Hood and also at Mt. Bachelor sucks right now, which is why I'm not skiing this week.

What a ride