4* Former Oregon QB Travis Jonsen to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: 4* Former Oregon QB Travis Jonsen to MSU

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 am

CelticCat wrote:I understand, but that doesn’t mean he will be as effective as Murray.
WELL, I will bet dollars to donuts his passing is far better than Murrays is right now. His legs may not be as good, but if he can spin it better it becomes a question of who is the better field general!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 am

Jonsen and Murray are like two peas in a pod. Both great runners. Both need work passing. If you think Jonsen is a good passer you’re going to be disappointed. His passing is what cost him the starting jobs at Oregon and Riverside.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 am

iaafan wrote:Jonsen and Murray are like two peas in a pod. Both great runners. Both need work passing. If you think Jonsen is a good passer you’re going to be disappointed. His passing is what cost him the starting jobs at Oregon and Riverside.
If you are correct then I'm disappointed already.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 am

Jonsen’s size and speed, and potential as a dual-threat QB, are what got him a 4 star rating. Entering his third season he was 5 of 15 for 86 yards in Oregon’s 2017 spring game before transferring to Riverside. He completed just 54% of his passes at Riverside in limited duty.

The competition element of this is what’s encouraging. Since they have similar styles they’ll be able to gauge their development and know where they stand throughout the process. I would expect both of them to improve significantly due to this.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 am

Spring ball is going to be fun.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 am

Indeed. Very fun.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 am

No matter who wins the starting QB job, we have an experienced backup who can also be a threat at other skill positions.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am

iaafan wrote:Jonsen’s size and speed, and potential as a dual-threat QB, are what got him a 4 star rating. Entering his third season he was 5 of 15 for 86 yards in Oregon’s 2017 spring game before transferring to Riverside. He completed just 54% of his passes at Riverside in limited duty.

The competition element of this is what’s encouraging. Since they have similar styles they’ll be able to gauge their development and know where they stand throughout the process. I would expect both of them to improve significantly due to this.
For passing competition, I think Rovig will push both Murray and Jonsen to improve.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 am

iaafan wrote:Jonsen and Murray are like two peas in a pod. Both great runners. Both need work passing. If you think Jonsen is a good passer you’re going to be disappointed. His passing is what cost him the starting jobs at Oregon and Riverside.
Yea, I actually watched his tape from the Oregon spring game (you can find it on Youtube), and he looked pretty inaccurate, several balls in the dirt.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm

iaafan wrote:Jonsen and Murray are like two peas in a pod. Both great runners. Both need work passing. If you think Jonsen is a good passer you’re going to be disappointed. His passing is what cost him the starting jobs at Oregon and Riverside
Come on now. Justin Herbert will be a high NFL draft pick at QB in either 2019 or 2020, and at Riveride he got beat out by a QB who just transferred to play for PJ Fleck at Minnesota and originally was a Michigan recruit as an "athlete" who ended up at Cal and transferred when Sonny Dykes got fired. He got beat out by better QBs, and sure he's not exactly Baker Mayfield as a passer.

https://www.twincities.com/2017/11/27/g ... 018-class/

Comparing those two QBs to what MSU has in terms of FBS talent at the position isn't really a fair comparison or criticism. There is a reason Jonsen is FCS, but saying he can't pass is ridiculous if you see his grades at the Elite 11 camp he attended and made the 11 at the end over Sam Darnold, who struggled passing at that camp.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

He wasn’t as good a passer as Viramontes, who wasn’t great. Vic threw 13 interceptions to 19 TDs. Jonsen completed just 54% (26-48). He’s 31for his last 63 in live action. Maybe he was back at Elite11 in 2015, but At this point, like Murray, he isn’t a good passer and needs to improve. The competition should bring out the best in both of them. After a promising true freshman camp Jonsen had ample time to improve, but seems to have regressed.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Only a couple people have said it, as many MSU fans are being blinded by the light of 4 stars (neeeeaaat), but my money is on Rovig to win the starting job. Colter mentioned several times in fall camp that Rovig was throwing some great balls to receivers and was impressive at times. Now, with a year of practice under his belt and learning the ins and outs of reading defenses, actually watching games and game film and seeing the decisions that were made, plus he still has 4 years to play.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Team10 wrote:Only a couple people have said it, as many MSU fans are being blinded by the light of 4 stars (neeeeaaat), but my money is on Rovig to win the starting job. Colter mentioned several times in fall camp that Rovig was throwing some great balls to receivers and was impressive at times. Now, with a year of practice under his belt and learning the ins and outs of reading defenses, actually watching games and game film and seeing the decisions that were made, plus he still has 4 years to play.
He's also deceptively athletic and is able to use is feet to scramble outside the pocket. He's also a winner.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 pm

I have to admit that the highlights that I have seen of Jonsen don't leave me wowed at his passing ability. I am no QB expert but my eye test has him in a similar place as Murray. I like this pick up because if he isn't a good enough passer then I think that he is a good enough athlete to help us elsewhere. After rewatching Rovig's tape I think that he is a lot farther ahead of the other two in passing. He his his WR in perfect stride over and over. What surprised me most though is how athletic Rovig looked. I did not realise that he was as fast as he is. He is not at the same level as Chris but he is way more athletic than I had thought at first. I can't believe we got this kid and I am by now means putting him out of the competition. It is going to be a great spring competition!