Bobcat Club

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Club

Post by allcat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:16 pm

bobcatbob wrote:The important thing that this Bobcat Club brochure points out is that there is an almost $900,000 gap between what the Bobcat Club contributes toward athletic scholarships and what the total cost is for all scholarships. That means that this $900,000 must come out of the Athletic Dept. budget. If we can grow the Bobcat Club to cover that gap that would be $900,000 that the Athletic Dept. could use toward other needs like facilities, etc. It would really help the Coaches as they would have free up more money for recruiting trips and things like that. This brochure also shows how the Griz are way ahead of us in raising money. We need to do better!! Remember, contributing and becoming a member of the Bobcat Club, is that money goes strictly to athletic scholarships for student athletes.
You are being naive in your thinking. The grizzlies have always had more money than everyone else, but they are the ones always having to make up some shortfall. This alll tie in with governmental accounting, you will never know the true accounting of the money to run the athletic department. I'm not saying the giving is not good, but anything connected with a school never has enough money.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm

allcat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:The important thing that this Bobcat Club brochure points out is that there is an almost $900,000 gap between what the Bobcat Club contributes toward athletic scholarships and what the total cost is for all scholarships. That means that this $900,000 must come out of the Athletic Dept. budget. If we can grow the Bobcat Club to cover that gap that would be $900,000 that the Athletic Dept. could use toward other needs like facilities, etc. It would really help the Coaches as they would have free up more money for recruiting trips and things like that. This brochure also shows how the Griz are way ahead of us in raising money. We need to do better!! Remember, contributing and becoming a member of the Bobcat Club, is that money goes strictly to athletic scholarships for student athletes.
You are being naive in your thinking. The grizzlies have always had more money than everyone else, but they are the ones always having to make up some shortfall. This alll tie in with governmental accounting, you will never know the true accounting of the money to run the athletic department. I'm not saying the giving is not good, but anything connected with a school never has enough money.
The Bobcat Club money goes strictly for scholarships. The Athletic Dept knows how many scholarships they have and can quantify that accurately. There is a $900,000 gap between BC donations and the actual cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:39 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
The Bobcat Club money goes strictly for scholarships. The Athletic Dept knows how many scholarships they have and can quantify that accurately. There is a $900,000 gap between BC donations and the actual cost.

You act as if that is the only money going to scholarships. Also what do scholarships actually cost the university? Governmental accounting is very tricky to understand. It's like every little thing has there own little pot of money, but when they want to they can move money from one obscure pot to another.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:49 pm

allcat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:

You act as if that is the only money going to scholarships. Also what do scholarships actually cost the university? Governmental accounting is very tricky to understand. It's like every little thing has there own little pot of money, but when they want to they can move money from one obscure pot to another.
I do know for a fact that the $900,000 gap is made up out of the athletic dept budget. The bottom line is the more they get from donations for scholarships, the less that comes out of the Ath Dept budget. The more money thats available for recruiting and other things like facilities. There is no reason why MSU should be that far behind UM. MSU needs to do a better job.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:19 pm

I am more surprised that Northern Colorado is so close to MSU than I was the difference with the fizz.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:21 pm

One takeaway is that there are way too many season tickets available in the stadium without a required Bobcat Club contribution at all (EZ and the ends of the eastside). In addition, I'm assuming the season ticket demand isn't high enough that a lot of people don't make a contribution (to get the ticket priority) and simply just buy their tickets when they're publicly available. In essence, there's no pressure to make people contribute, so many don't. Its kinda sad that MSU can sell an average of 18,000 tickets per football game but less than 10% of those seats are paying booster fees.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 pm

KittieKop wrote:One takeaway is that there are way too many season tickets available in the stadium without a required Bobcat Club contribution at all (EZ and the ends of the eastside). In addition, I'm assuming the season ticket demand isn't high enough that a lot of people don't make a contribution (to get the ticket priority) and simply just buy their tickets when they're publicly available. In essence, there's no pressure to make people contribute, so many don't. Its kinda sad that MSU can sell an average of 18,000 tickets per football game but less than 10% of those seats are paying booster fees.
I greatly disagree with this, and think MSU has done a great job of increasing its revenue with the new expansion while also maintaining enough affordable ticket options to not price a significant portion of its potential fan base out of being able to attend games. When the end zone expansion was completed and the student section moved, they were able to require Bobcat Club donations for about 80-90% of the west side seats in addition to the entire east side. They do allow multiple seats to be purchased with one Bobcat Club donation, but a per seat required donation would likely mean a fair number of people who are currently spending near the upper limit of what they can afford would have to give up those seats. Let's face it, MSU simply will never be able to fill that stadium with fans who are willing to drop multiple thousands of dollars per year for Bobcat Club memberships, tickets, and tailgate spots.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:26 pm

MSU01 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:One takeaway is that there are way too many season tickets available in the stadium without a required Bobcat Club contribution at all (EZ and the ends of the eastside). In addition, I'm assuming the season ticket demand isn't high enough that a lot of people don't make a contribution (to get the ticket priority) and simply just buy their tickets when they're publicly available. In essence, there's no pressure to make people contribute, so many don't. Its kinda sad that MSU can sell an average of 18,000 tickets per football game but less than 10% of those seats are paying booster fees.
I greatly disagree with this, and think MSU has done a great job of increasing its revenue with the new expansion while also maintaining enough affordable ticket options to not price a significant portion of its potential fan base out of being able to attend games. When the end zone expansion was completed and the student section moved, they were able to require Bobcat Club donations for about 80-90% of the west side seats in addition to the entire east side. They do allow multiple seats to be purchased with one Bobcat Club donation, but a per seat required donation would likely mean a fair number of people who are currently spending near the upper limit of what they can afford would have to give up those seats. Let's face it, MSU simply will never be able to fill that stadium with fans who are willing to drop multiple thousands of dollars per year for Bobcat Club memberships, tickets, and tailgate spots.
I doubt your numbers Kkop Can you lead me to where you got your less than 10 percent figure?

Msu01 I think you are about right.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
I doubt your numbers Kkop Can you lead me to where you got your less than 10 percent figure?

Not to speak for others, but the graphic in the first post of this thread shows there are 1357 people who contributed to the Bobcat club, and we get around 18,000 people at each football game.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Not to speak for others, but the graphic in the first post of this thread shows there are 1357 people who contributed to the Bobcat club, and we get around 18,000 people at each football game.
There's a discrepancy based on how you think about the donation, because MSU allows a Bobcat Club donor to purchase either 4 or 6 season tickets with one donation depending on which section of the stadium you're looking to buy in. So if you're treating 1 donation = 1 seat, then the 10% figure is accurate. If you're treating 1 donation = the actual number of seats purchased with that donation, then it's obviously a much larger percentage of the seats that required the donation to purchase.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Don't all season tickets for the griz have a contribution toward their GSA? They have far more than 2,300 season ticket holders.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure if that figure just counts the season ticket holders that make the minimum $300 donation or not. I know you can purchase Bobcat licenses plates for around $30 and that money goes to the Bobcat Club as well, but I don't think that makes you a "member" of the club. I don't know, this whole donation thing can be a bit confusing. I donated to the facilities plan, the Bobcat Club, and even the spirit squad this year. That doesn't even count the 50/50 tickets purchased and other donations (band) that I make at every game. Everyone certainly has to prioritize what they can give to the school, but I do believe Cat fans can step up a bit more than they have been. 1,357 donors is a bit pathetic considering the 18,000 at every game and the tens of thousands of people that have graduated or attended school at MSU. Of course, the Cats can help out too by winning more games, especially at HOME.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 pm

MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

There's a discrepancy based on how you think about the donation, because MSU allows a Bobcat Club donor to purchase either 4 or 6 season tickets with one donation depending on which section of the stadium you're looking to buy in. So if you're treating 1 donation = 1 seat, then the 10% figure is accurate. If you're treating 1 donation = the actual number of seats purchased with that donation, then it's obviously a much larger percentage of the seats that required the donation to purchase.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Don't all season tickets for the griz have a contribution toward their GSA? They have far more than 2,300 season ticket holders.

I'm not sure how it works over there, but I have two season tickets and only have to make one donation to the Bobcat Club. I would have to make the same monetary donation if I purchased a single ticket.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:Everyone certainly has to prioritize what they can give to the school, but I do believe Cat fans can step up a bit more than they have been. 1,357 donors is a bit pathetic considering the 18,000 at every game and the tens of thousands of people that have graduated or attended school at MSU. Of course, the Cats can help out too by winning more games, especially at HOME.
It all comes down to what people can afford and what they choose to put their money towards - MSU has been not just breaking but absolutely destroying records lately in terms of donations to the academic side of things. I am one who chooses to donate the large majority of what I can afford to the academic side and support athletics primarily through the direct costs of attending games, and doubt I will be changing that any time soon.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 pm

MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:Everyone certainly has to prioritize what they can give to the school, but I do believe Cat fans can step up a bit more than they have been. 1,357 donors is a bit pathetic considering the 18,000 at every game and the tens of thousands of people that have graduated or attended school at MSU. Of course, the Cats can help out too by winning more games, especially at HOME.
It all comes down to what people can afford and what they choose to put their money towards - MSU has been not just breaking but absolutely destroying records lately in terms of donations to the academic side of things. I am one who chooses to donate the large majority of what I can afford to the academic side and support athletics primarily through the direct costs of attending games, and doubt I will be changing that any time soon.

That's good for you but I thought we were discussing the athletics program. Like I wrote before, everyone has to prioritize what they can give to the school.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm

AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

That's good for you but I thought we were discussing the athletics program. Like I wrote before, everyone has to prioritize what they can give to the school.
Fair enough, I think I misunderstood the point you were trying to make somewhat. If you're saying people should look to see if they can donate a little bit more to the school as a whole and then prioritize where their money will go in terms of academic donations versus athletic donations, I totally agree with that. The 1357 donors to the Bobcat Club number looks a lot less pathetic if you look more broadly at the donation numbers to the University as a whole and the Bobcat Club donations as part of that record-breaking amount.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 am

Um football games have become a rich mans playground. We are affordable. Thus their aging fanbase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 am

91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Gotcha, that makes sense.[/quote}

You guys are right on the 10 percent figure....was thinking one thing and typed the opposite. It is true however there are a significant number number of tickets not paying booster fees of any type. The reality is, there is no pressure to contribute. Ticket sales are down, and there is usually very little problem getting tickets if you want them. I, and many of you, (well about 1,300 of you) pay Bobcat Club fees, but the vast, vast majority each Saturday in the stadium don't. Even if every every BC member has an average of 5 tickets (which I suspect is very high), that's still only 6,500 seats paying booster fees.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?