New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman

New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Post by BozCatFan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Bozeman Schools are getting ready to spend $10M on a new stadium to be shared by the two high schools.

Why not spend this money fixing up Bobcat Stadium and share with MSU? The schools would likely get some money from suite holders as well.

MSU needs money for the Bobcat Stadium. Seems like an opportunity to share resources and benefit our entire community.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 pm

BozCatFan wrote:Bozeman Schools are getting ready to spend $10M on a new stadium to be shared by the two high schools.

Why not spend this money fixing up Bobcat Stadium and share with MSU? The schools would likely get some money from suite holders as well.

MSU needs money for the Bobcat Stadium. Seems like an opportunity to share resources and benefit our entire community.
Several reasons I can think of. 1. A lot of additional wear and tear on the turf. 2. The HS money would likely bring a lot of politics into the equation, and Bozeman politics are terrible. 3. The HS money would also bring more hands into the fire and the folks in charge of that money would feel entitled to have a say with what happens with the stadium.

BozCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BozCatFan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:32 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:2. The HS money would likely bring a lot of politics into the equation, and Bozeman politics are terrible. 3. The HS money would also bring more hands into the fire and the folks in charge of that money would feel entitled to have a say with what happens with the stadium.
Turf is replaceable BUT these two points answer the question. Too bad - that $10M would go along ways to getting the east side stands and skyboxes done.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:49 pm

The Hawks are actually going to play some and potentially all their home games at Bobcat Stadium next season.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... dec10.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Some have said on here, but honestly Costello has the quiet phase down pat, almost like a Peter Fields type. There is no excuse for not fixing the grandstands by next year, none!! After we won in Missoula when Dmac was a freshman it was instant, in regards to starting to get donations and breaking ground on the new end zone. Of course we had to wait until after the NDSU game, but it seemed like we had a plan. With Costello, I see your videos but why hasn’t there been anything going out to boosters or the public around Bozeman. Say MSU wants to raise 2 million to tear down the old bleachers and put in new concrete and bleachers that match the end zone, I guarantee you will get that money in a hurry. Set a concrete plan not a huge plan that will take 20 years to maybe do.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Some have said on here, but honestly Costello has the quiet phase down pat, almost like a Peter Fields type. There is no excuse for not fixing the grandstands by next year, none!! After we won in Missoula when Dmac was a freshman it was instant, in regards to starting to get donations and breaking ground on the new end zone. Of course we had to wait until after the NDSU game, but it seemed like we had a plan. With Costello, I see your videos but why hasn’t there been anything going out to boosters or the public around Bozeman. Say MSU wants to raise 2 million to tear down the old bleachers and put in new concrete and bleachers that match the end zone, I guarantee you will get that money in a hurry. Set a concrete plan not a huge plan that will take 20 years to maybe do.
If we weren't still paying on the last two renovations it would be that easy.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Some have said on here, but honestly Costello has the quiet phase down pat, almost like a Peter Fields type. There is no excuse for not fixing the grandstands by next year, none!! After we won in Missoula when Dmac was a freshman it was instant, in regards to starting to get donations and breaking ground on the new end zone. Of course we had to wait until after the NDSU game, but it seemed like we had a plan. With Costello, I see your videos but why hasn’t there been anything going out to boosters or the public around Bozeman. Say MSU wants to raise 2 million to tear down the old bleachers and put in new concrete and bleachers that match the end zone, I guarantee you will get that money in a hurry. Set a concrete plan not a huge plan that will take 20 years to maybe do.

EXACTLY! We had the big facilities plan announcement and then nothing. They really need to get out and solicit donations better than they do. Maybe they are just relying on the whales to fund this, but I haven't received a phone call, a letter, or even an e-mail asking for a donation. I have seen nearly nothing online either. I had to take the initiative to contact them to give money! As Sonny Holland would say; "NOW IS THE TIME!"

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm

The new high school stadium presumably won't just be used for football games, but also soccer, track meets, marching band practice, etc. It would be completely unrealistic to expect Bobcat stadium to be made available for all these uses in addition to MSU's needs, especially during football season when the MSU team is using it for practice almost every day.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:03 pm

AFCAT wrote:

EXACTLY! We had the big facilities plan announcement and then nothing. They really need to get out and solicit donations better than they do. Maybe they are just relying on the whales to fund this, but I haven't received a phone call, a letter, or even an e-mail asking for a donation. I have seen nearly nothing online either. I had to take the initiative to contact them to give money! As Sonny Holland would say; "NOW IS THE TIME!"
You are 100 percent right. Start a site, just like they did when we built the end zone and watch the money come in like it did then. Really disappointed in the effort so far. And as far as them worrying about still paying on past renovations, that is a moot point. You will always be paying on debt and that will never stop, so you might as well strike while the iron is hot. Record enrollment, record attendance, etc.. how could anybody say this isn’t best time to make a huge push for renovations. If you don’t do it now when would you do it? There will always be debt the university is paying on, so if that’s the reason they haven’t done anything, then Costello isn’t the guy.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Make my tickets go up $20 or make my two tailgate spots go up a $100 each, I would still pay it willingly. You have to spend money to make money, and you definitely have to spend money if want relevant upgrades.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:09 pm

We appreciate you taking the time at looking at our Facilities Master Plan and showing interest in donating to the project! We're in the early stages of taking donations, so at this time we are requesting basic information. We will personally reach out to you to learn about why you're interested in donating and how we can work best with you going forward.
http://msubobcats.com/sb_output.aspx?form=119

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Holy crap, how about just a tiny bit of patience on this. MSU has building projects going on all over the place, and Bobcat Stadium is currently the right size in terms of its capacity meeting the demand for tickets, not including Cat-Griz which could easily sell out a stadium double the size. Making rash decisions under the "I WANT IT NOW!" mentality is what will get them into trouble financially in the long term if at some point MSU doesn't have record-breaking enrollment anymore. A long-term strategic plan for development requires a long-term strategic approach to fundraising, not a big push to get Phase I completed immediately with no plan for how to fund Phases II and beyond.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
We appreciate you taking the time at looking at our Facilities Master Plan and showing interest in donating to the project! We're in the early stages of taking donations, so at this time we are requesting basic information. We will personally reach out to you to learn about why you're interested in donating and how we can work best with you going forward.
http://msubobcats.com/sb_output.aspx?form=119

Yeah, this is what I was writing about when I wrote that they have done nearly nothing online. They need to start sending out requests, make phone calls, get the word out on social media, etc. There are plenty of ways they can solicit money and that first attempt was the easiest and also the laziest attempt they could have done.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 pm

MSU01 wrote:Holy crap, how about just a tiny bit of patience on this. MSU has building projects going on all over the place, and Bobcat Stadium is currently the right size in terms of its capacity meeting the demand for tickets, not including Cat-Griz which could easily sell out a stadium double the size. Making rash decisions under the "I WANT IT NOW!" mentality is what will get them into trouble financially in the long term if at some point MSU doesn't have record-breaking enrollment anymore. A long-term strategic plan for development requires a long-term strategic approach to fundraising, not a big push to get Phase I completed immediately with no plan for how to fund Phases II and beyond.

I'm talking about donations. They have their facilities plan, now is the time to start getting money to pay for it. There is no reason to wait.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:32 pm

AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:Holy crap, how about just a tiny bit of patience on this. MSU has building projects going on all over the place, and Bobcat Stadium is currently the right size in terms of its capacity meeting the demand for tickets, not including Cat-Griz which could easily sell out a stadium double the size. Making rash decisions under the "I WANT IT NOW!" mentality is what will get them into trouble financially in the long term if at some point MSU doesn't have record-breaking enrollment anymore. A long-term strategic plan for development requires a long-term strategic approach to fundraising, not a big push to get Phase I completed immediately with no plan for how to fund Phases II and beyond.

I'm talking about donations. They have their facilities plan, now is the time to start getting money to pay for it. There is no reason to wait.
But how you get the donations matters too. If I put out a shiny website and ask for donations, you might give $100. If it's a more focused, personalized approach, maybe I can get you to give $500 or $1000 instead. Remember that the number of donors to the end zone project was not exactly huge - there are not thousands upon thousands of Bobcat fans out there just waiting with checkbooks in hand to make a donation to this, so they have to make sure they can get as much as they can from the people who are willing to donate a significant sum of money. The $5 and $10 donations generated from a public campaign will be great once they have the vast majority of the money already spoken for.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:38 pm

MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

But how you get the donations matters too. If I put out a shiny website and ask for donations, you might give $100. If it's a more focused, personalized approach, maybe I can get you to give $500 or $1000 instead. Remember that the number of donors to the end zone project was not exactly huge - there are not thousands upon thousands of Bobcat fans out there just waiting with checkbooks in hand to make a donation to this, so they have to make sure they can get as much as they can from the people who are willing to donate. The $5 and $10 donations generated from a public campaign will be great once they have the vast majority of the money already spoken for.

I don't care how they do it, but waiting makes no sense. I haven't received any personalized letters, phone calls, or e-mails. Many people are excited right now and want to donate money. There is nothing but a short blurb on the facilities plan web page about getting back to you about making a donation. It's been over two months since the plan came out. Why wait? Let's get it started. dUMb doesn't seem to have a problem getting the regular folks to donate along with their big whales. Heck, I'm sending them a nice check as soon as they get back to me and I'll even set up a monthly allotment if they let me know where to send the money.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Fill out the form and talk to Casey.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Fill out the form and talk to Casey.

I did, waiting on a reply.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

But how you get the donations matters too. If I put out a shiny website and ask for donations, you might give $100. If it's a more focused, personalized approach, maybe I can get you to give $500 or $1000 instead. Remember that the number of donors to the end zone project was not exactly huge - there are not thousands upon thousands of Bobcat fans out there just waiting with checkbooks in hand to make a donation to this, so they have to make sure they can get as much as they can from the people who are willing to donate. The $5 and $10 donations generated from a public campaign will be great once they have the vast majority of the money already spoken for.

I don't care how they do it, but waiting makes no sense. I haven't received any personalized letters, phone calls, or e-mails. Many people are excited right now and want to donate money. There is nothing but a short blurb on the facilities plan web page about getting back to you about making a donation. It's been over two months since the plan came out. Why wait? Let's get it started. dUMb doesn't seem to have a problem getting the regular folks to donate along with their big whales. Heck, I'm sending them a nice check as soon as they get back to me and I'll even set up a monthly allotment if they let me know where to send the money.
Again. They told recruits for 10+ years that their new locker room was coming soon. They also had to bond up to 5 million on their champions center.

I also think they want to get as close as possible to the goal of each phase before they solicit general donations. Asking us average joes for 1 million will get raised faster than 3 million.
Last edited by Hawks86 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Again. They told recruits for 10+ years that their new locker room was coming soon. They also had to bond up to 5 million on their champions center.
I don't know what that has to do with soliciting donations for this facilities plan. That's all I'm writing about. There is no reason to wait and I believe they aren't doing a good job of outreach right now..