The Good. The Bad. The Ugly...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

The Good. The Bad. The Ugly...

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Good:
1. A conference road win. They're not always easy but we got the W. I know we all hoped for an easy win but UNC has some talent too, and they were fired up for homecoming. Remember the griz went to Greeley last year and got beat.
2. The defense in the second half was lights out. They gave up only 3 points.
3. Murray leading the game winning drive in the final minutes.

Bad:
1. Sloppy first half performance on defense. Made their backup QB look like Case Cookus for a while.
2. Offense for about 3 quarters was pathetic. Murray looked confused, Lasane got ejected, and we could hardly run the ball against a bad run defense.

Ugly:
1. Fourth quarter kickoff coverage breakdown, combined with a 15 yard late hit penalty, put UNC in FG range before they even took a snap, and almost lost the game for us.
2. The turnovers continue...
3. This win. But I'd rather win ugly than lose.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: The Good. The Bad. The Ugly...

Post by Montanabob » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:07 pm

The bad.... Pass defense giving up to many yards.
The worse... Trying to run up the middle, speed works better on the option and edges.
The stupid..... Too many substitutions, 1st and goal, run 4 plays into end zone, no passing, no substitutions, just bang bang bang bang.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Montanabob wrote:The bad.... Pass defense giving up to many yards.
The worse... Trying to run up the middle, speed works better on the option and edges.
The stupid..... Too many substitutions, 1st and goal, run 4 plays into end zone, no passing, no substitutions, just bang bang bang bang.
We should run the ball up the middle exclusively. Speed, what speed? When we line up and hand it off without the read ****** we get 4-5 yards. The reason we looked confused is because Armstrong out thinks himself and has all these stupid formations. Line up with the play call, like all good teams do, quit shifting tight ends, quit having three running backs in the backfield, and make it easier for guys to make plays. The offense will go nowhere when you keep running these complex formations, we don't need it. The reason the guys look over to the sidelines, is because they get two to three play calls and depending on the defense the option out, and that process isn't working. Look at EWU and NDSU, those teams call a play and run it quickly. We sit back there and half the guys are trying to process all the ****** Armstrong has dialed up. I called in the spring when he got promoted, he won't lead MSU anywhere.

The good: The defensive front stepped up and Gabe made the kick.

The real bad: Tackling and the uncanny ability of the defense to continually not pick the ball off when the other team throws it tight to u.

If your left, you aren’t right.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:01 pm

The good:
1. YES, the win on the road in a place where we have not played well in the past.
2. The Cats did NOT give up and fold but played well in the 2nd half.
3. Mitch and Jabari and Kevin
4. Troy Andersen running and not going down
5. Game winning FG!
6. Chris Murray's running for 150 and also his ability to lead the team at the end of the game!

The Bad:
1. 2 INT's at very bad times continuing a ball security issue over the last 2 games
2. The first half offense and Murray's inability to throw the ball
3. The long TD by UNC and the missed tackles

The Ugly:
1. The spearing calls. IMO there were none, even LaSane's call.
2. 2 INT's in our hands...dropped
3. Long Kick return by UNC and a PF at the end of game to almost give it away.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 pm

91catAlum wrote:Good:
1. A conference road win. They're not always easy but we got the W. I know we all hoped for an easy win but UNC has some talent too, and they were fired up for homecoming. Remember the griz went to Greeley last year and got beat.

Bad:
1. Sloppy first half performance on defense. Made their backup QB look like Case Cookus for a while.
2. Offense for about 3 quarters was pathetic. Murray looked confused, Lasane got ejected, and we could hardly run the ball against a bad run defense.

Ugly:
1. Fourth quarter kickoff coverage breakdown, combined with a 15 yard late hit penalty, put UNC in FG range before they even took a snap, and almost lost the game for us.
Actually we totally dominated them both offensively and defensively in the 2nd half...total yardage was about 360-80 after halftime. We are just maddeningly inconsistent on both sides of the ball though. As good as we looked in the 2nd half, we looked equally as bad in the 1st half. But it is good to see that we've generally been a very good 2nd half team this year. It seems that the coaching staff has been doing a pretty good job of making adjustments at halftime, both on offense and defense. For the game, we doubled them in total offense, approximately 520-260, but because of the two turnovers, it was a much closer game than it should have been. Too bad our defensive players can't hang on to the ball when they get one thrown right to them. Have we had any interceptions this season? I'm sure we must have had one or two, but I don't think it's been any more than that.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:59 am

John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:Good:

Bad:

Ugly:
Actually we totally dominated them both offensively and defensively in the 2nd half...total yardage was about 360-80 after halftime. We are just maddeningly inconsistent on both sides of the ball though. As good as we looked in the 2nd half, we looked equally as bad in the 1st half. But it is good to see that we've generally been a very good 2nd half team this year. It seems that the coaching staff has been doing a pretty good job of making adjustments at halftime, both on offense and defense. For the game, we doubled them in total offense, approximately 520-260, but because of the two turnovers, it was a much closer game than it should have been. Too bad our defensive players can't hang on to the ball when they get one thrown right to them. Have we had any interceptions this season? I'm sure we must have had one or two, but I don't think it's been any more than that.
We did dominate the 3rd quarter on offense, but we only scored 3 points, and Murray threw his second pick inside the 10 yard line. So I included that in the Bad.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 am

MSU had 231 yards and 17 points in the fourth quarter. 118 and 3 in the third.

Murray was 7-14 139 yards, 1 TD, no int. in the fourth quarter. He was 13-21, 83 yards, 0 TDs, 2 int. thru three quarters.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:25 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
We should run the ball up the middle exclusively. Speed, what speed? When we line up and hand it off without the read ****** we get 4-5 yards. The reason we looked confused is because Armstrong out thinks himself and has all these stupid formations. Line up with the play call, like all good teams do, quit shifting tight ends, quit having three running backs in the backfield, and make it easier for guys to make plays. The offense will go nowhere when you keep running these complex formations, we don't need it. The reason the guys look over to the sidelines, is because they get two to three play calls and depending on the defense the option out, and that process isn't working. Look at EWU and NDSU, those teams call a play and run it quickly. We sit back there and half the guys are trying to process all the ****** Armstrong has dialed up. I called in the spring when he got promoted, he won't lead MSU anywhere.

The real bad: Tackling and the uncanny ability of the defense to continually not pick the ball off when the other team throws it tight to u.
Hopefully Armstrong can learn and improve. Right now he is in over his head and not by just a little bit.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 am

Before you pick on Murray too much, maybe you should watch some of the supposed heisman trophy candidates from yesterday. No one is perfect and great players aren't necessarily great at everything all the time. They miss wide open receivers, they overthrow, they take sacks when they shouldn't. He's 18 and he's learning.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 am

imacat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Hopefully Armstrong can learn and improve. Right now he is in over his head and not by just a little bit.
I can just see the armchair oc's going off on Armstrong if he simplified things!! Lol he's to predictable! He needs to be more creative! Lets give the guy some time to figure things out. He has shown flashes of great playcalling and when they get rolling they are fun to watch! ;-)

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:44 am

The Good:

Won a close game yesterday!
Defense was lights out!
Murray and co showed grit and came thru in the fourth!
This team NEVER quits!

The Bad & Ugly:

Don't even care to discuss this. We won a close game in exciting fashion. Let's quit nitpicking and enjoy the Victory.

Go Cats!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

Good. Road win
Bad. Situational awareness
Ugly. Defenses ability to catch a ball

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 am

catsrback76 wrote: The Ugly:
1. The spearing calls. IMO there were none, even LaSane's call.
By the fourth quarter every time there was a flag we were yelling TARGETING from the stands. It was ridiculous. Then there was that "Disconcerting Signals" call. :roll:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 am

I liked Choate's halftime speech. Something about, "the second half will define us." He went all-in with that statement.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 am

Good: Resiliency
Bad: Turnovers
Ugly: Early on the last drive there was confusion with players going in and out no knowing who was supposed to be in on the play. The play: QB keeper up the middle.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 am

Its been touched on a few times in this thread I believe - but my biggest "bad" of the game is no tempo on offense ... it seems when we use a little tempo and don't let the defense sub we do much better.

Overall good win - the team doesn't quit. Looking forward to what could be a very tough game against ISU

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 am

TomCat88 wrote:I liked Choate's halftime speech. Something about, "the second half will define us." He went all-in with that statement.
Yes he did! He also alluded to/spoke to the issue of needing to have better QB play to succeed. Whatever that was, it worked in the 4th quarter!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 am

The good: Herbert, Johnson, Kassis. They all made huge catches in the 2nd half. Someone in the Gameday thread said our receivers couldn't get open. I was baffled by that remark. They were open all day and just weren't having the ball thrown their way.

The bad and ugly: We all know these. Things need to improve quickly.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Bad/ugly. Gillis and Collins out for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:Bad/ugly. Gillis and Collins out for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collins??? What happened there? I thought he was just out for the week....

FTG- GO CATS GO!