The Good. The Bad. The Ugly...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Good. The Bad. The Ugly...

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 pm

wbtfg wrote:Bad/ugly. Gillis and Collins out for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collins??? What happened there? I thought he was just out for the week....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 pm

wbtfg wrote:Bad/ugly. Gillis and Collins out for the season.

Collins??? What happened there? I thought he was just out for the week....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Not sure. Just passing on Rachec tweet.

I assume shoulder surgery?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:Not sure. Just passing on Rachec tweet.

I assume shoulder surgery?

Ouch. Chapman's didn't look good either. Getting pretty banged up here.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Defense has tons of injuries. But I think we'll get JoJo Henderson back this week. Not sure about Tyrel Thomas.

SpeedCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SpeedCAT » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 pm

The good.

Our defensive coaching staff! We are 2nd in total defense in the BSC (essentially tied for first). We've been down at least four defensive starters in every game since early in the season. Two of those players, Henderson and Thomas, play in the secondary where we were already thin. Gregorak and Company really deserve some love.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 pm

https://twitter.com/CoachChoate_MSU/status/922242441163370496

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Good to see Tucker Yates gettin' some love. His two big plays to start the second half really set the tone.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Nothing to add to good and ugly.

Bad: defensive players' desire to get in one more lick. We've had too many late hits this season that went beyond just playing hard and it being close. One player in particular yesterday gave UNC players an unneeded shove on at least three occasions that could have drawn a flag by an overprotective ref. This proclivity has taken us out of two games already this season. It's a lack of discipline.

(Not referring to LaSane. That call was total BS. Ref needs a physics lesson.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:46 pm

I might be in the minority here but I think that hit was targeting by definition. You can't launch, you can"t,lead,with the helmet, and you can't contact in the head and neck area. LaSane did all three. Not really blaming him because he may not be familiar with rules and he certainly doesn't practice tackling. But, my thought was why did he even get up and go after the guy? I would think he would have known that was not a fumble, and he knows we have replay. I guess things happen fast so he may not have been sure but that wasn't even close to being a fumble.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 pm

What LaSane did happens about 5 to 10 times a game and never gets called. I just think it is a bs call.

Punters are people too!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:07 pm

GoCats18 wrote:What LaSane did happens about 5 to 10 times a game and never gets called. I just think it is a bs call.
You're saying 5-10 times a game a guy takes off, parallel to the playing surface and flies at least 4 or 5 yards in the air to hit a guy in the shoulder/neck area with only his helmet?? Did Vince McMahon reboot the XFL? And dub Lasane the next 'He Hate Me'?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:49 pm

catatac wrote:I might be in the minority here but I think that hit was targeting by definition. You can't launch, you can"t,lead,with the helmet, and you can't contact in the head and neck area. LaSane did all three. Not really blaming him because he may not be familiar with rules and he certainly doesn't practice tackling. But, my thought was why did he even get up and go after the guy? I would think he would have known that was not a fumble, and he knows we have replay. I guess things happen fast so he may not have been sure but that wasn't even close to being a fumble.
Not sure if you were listening to the Root announcers but they clearly disagreed with you. They thought that Lasane was just hustling to make a play and it was not targeting. It is a very subjective call, but I thought Lasane got screwed.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 pm

The ugly - the officiating! The Big Sky should be embarrassed. They get a regional television audience with Root and the refs absolutely lay an egg. For example, on that Lasane play where he was ejected, the whistle actually blew the play dead at the time of the fumble. If the officials would have kept blowing the whistle to signal the play dead and stop any action, Lasane would have never been trying to make the tackle. Multiple other calls like no pass interference on the Cats first possession. How about the catch out of bounds? They reversed the call but the ref was 5 yards away! Jay Sanderson on Bobcat Radio said that he would bet his salary that ball was out of bounds. At a minimum, the Big Sky should put their best crew out for Root televised games. The bigger issue is that the officiating from week to week is atrocious!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:05 pm

It wasn't to the head/neck area (it was the front of the player's left shoulder) but he did launch himself and he did lead with his head.

Tough break for Nick, he was just trying to hustle and make a play. Instead he missed the 5th game of his senior year.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 am

I can't really argue with the LaSane call, it looked like he straight up launched himself like a missile. Yes he sort of dove over his teammate but he didn't need to go straight as an arrow, and he didn't need to go so high. If he aims for the midsection with his shoulder or even his arm he is just fine and the result of the play is the same. The thing that really pisses me off, and as a former ref who has had this happen to him (I f'ed up), the whistle blew and therefore the play should have ended. I understand on a fumble where if you aren't sure if it is a fumble, let it go and you can always review it and wipe out the play that ensued after the "fumble'. But in this case, a whistle clearly was blown and that should have stopped everything. I had a game on a poorly marked field in high school where I inadvertently blew my whistle on a breakaway TD when I thought he crossed the goal line when it was actually the 5 yard line. Embarrassing as sh*t, but I owned up to it, came in and marked him down where he was when I blew my whistle. Luckily that team was winning by about 5 TDs and scored on the next play anyway.

Point is, inadvertent whistles happen, but whistles end play, period, whether blown on purpose or by accident. In this case it was clearly blown on purpose, but whoever blew it realized he may have screwed it up and instead of manning up, he just pretended nothing happened and went back to the rest of the play. If he would haven't started tooting on his whistle, the rest of the refs would've stopped play and all would be well in the world.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 am

Good:
Team never quit.
Defense in the 2nd half was lights out.
OL was wrecking dudes.

Bad:
Overall play in the first half.
Murray's overall passing (okay 4th quarter but he got lucky on some of those balls).

Ugly:
Why, WHY can't we intercept a ball that hits us right in the hands? Konkol's would have been an easy pick 6, and I believe Bignell's would've been too although he may have been run down. Regardless, good/great teams make those plays, period. This happened several times last year too. What the hell is going on?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:I can't really argue with the LaSane call, it looked like he straight up launched himself like a missile. Yes he sort of dove over his teammate but he didn't need to go straight as an arrow, and he didn't need to go so high. If he aims for the midsection with his shoulder or even his arm he is just fine and the result of the play is the same. The thing that really pisses me off, and as a former ref who has had this happen to him (I f'ed up), the whistle blew and therefore the play should have ended. I understand on a fumble where if you aren't sure if it is a fumble, let it go and you can always review it and wipe out the play that ensued after the "fumble'. But in this case, a whistle clearly was blown and that should have stopped everything. I had a game on a poorly marked field in high school where I inadvertently blew my whistle on a breakaway TD when I thought he crossed the goal line when it was actually the 5 yard line. Embarrassing as sh*t, but I owned up to it, came in and marked him down where he was when I blew my whistle. Luckily that team was winning by about 5 TDs and scored on the next play anyway.

Point is, inadvertent whistles happen, but whistles end play, period, whether blown on purpose or by accident. In this case it was clearly blown on purpose, but whoever blew it realized he may have screwed it up and instead of manning up, he just pretended nothing happened and went back to the rest of the play. If he would haven't started tooting on his whistle, the rest of the refs would've stopped play and all would be well in the world.
Good, I wasn't the only person who heard the whistle. I think it is a ****** thing to allow a player to be ejected because you messed up and didn't own up the situation. Unless a punch is thrown or something to that effect, the play should have technically ended when the whistle blew and what happened after is disregarded.

-Elias P. Harmon-

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:28 am

SpeedCAT wrote:The good.

Our defensive coaching staff! We are 2nd in total defense in the BSC (essentially tied for first). We've been down at least four defensive starters in every game since early in the season. Two of those players, Henderson and Thomas, play in the secondary where we were already thin. Gregorak and Company really deserve some love.
Every Bobcat fan would do well to remind themselves that they have the best defensive coordinator in the Big Sky and probably in all of FCS. Gregorak could be a HC at the D1 level in my opinion. I hope he stays in Boz Angeles for many years to come though.