Chris Murray

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: Chris Murray

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:So, in summary. The passing game has quite a few problems with many solutions.
Didn't you realize BCN was full of former NFL QB's? I kid, but I think we should all realize we're heading in a good direction and let the coaches do their jobs.

Enjoy the rest of the Season guys. Its going to be another short one, with a long off-season. Enjoy what we have while we have it.
I second that motion!
Last edited by Helcat72 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2024 Resume dominance

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am

Which motion?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm

So, in summary. The passing game has quite a few problems with many solutions.

Didn't you realize BCN was full of former NFL QB's? I kid, but I think we should all realize we're heading in a good direction and let the coaches do their jobs.

Enjoy the rest of the Season guys.
Its going to be another short one, with a long off-season. Enjoy what we have while we have it.

I second that motion! in Bold

2024 Resume dominance

LynnP
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by LynnP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:18 am

catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:I'm still having a hard time figuring out why we don't throw any slants, or screens to the WRs. Kassis is our #1 punt returner. Not only does he protect the ball, but he is shifty and smart. Which is why he's out #1 punt returner. He should be getting at a bare minimum, 5 screens per game. Screens are basically an extension of the running game. I put more of the problem with Murray's passing on Army, than on Murray. Murray has shown that when he has the chance to pass consistently, he can pass well. Our offense isn't balanced enough to give Murray the chance to get into a rhythm. He needs to figure out how to be consistent no matter what obviously, but the play calling should help. And it's not.
Ya, and paige? The only time I remember him touching the ball this year he scored a TD.
This is true. He needs the ball more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm watching the Colorado State vs New Mexico game right now and each time New Mexico runs a play I'm thinking to myself, man I hope Coach Armstrong is watching this game. They don't have a great passing QB, they never do, but they run an offense that opens up the passing game through motion and option reads. It's really not a whole lot different than our offense, but they motion almost every play and run play action on almost every passing play. They force the defense to think a little more than usual pre snap. Their routes are a lot more varied than ours as well. A lot of crossing patterns, wheel routes and ins. Their formations look really similar to ours, and I think Murray and the offense would benefit taking a page from the UNM playbook so to speak.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:I'm watching the Colorado State vs New Mexico game right now and each time New Mexico runs a play I'm thinking to myself, man I hope Coach Armstrong is watching this game. They don't have a great passing QB, they never do, but they run an offense that opens up the passing game through motion and option reads. It's really not a whole lot different than our offense, but they motion almost every play and run play action on almost every passing play. They force the defense to think a little more than usual pre snap. Their routes are a lot more varied than ours as well. A lot of crossing patterns, wheel routes and ins. Their formations look really similar to ours, and I think Murray and the offense would benefit taking a page from the UNM playbook so to speak.
Well, we know if it's windy, or cold, or...it's not possible! :roll: :)

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 am

Went to my first game this year yesterday. One thing I noticed that you don't see unless you're there (and close to the bench) is that DMac wasn't on the bench (I assume up in the box) and I don't think Army was either. I don't think I know what Army looks like but the only offensive coaches I recognized were OL and WR. After every offensive drive Murray would come to the bench and sit by himself until Rovig came over to talk or he got a phone call from the box. In the second half he would try to sit with the OL but the coach would tell him to go sit somewhere else. Seemed lonely and uninvolved whether it was a good drive or bad.

Anyone know if DMac is always up in the box? Murray kept fighting the whole game but he didn't look like a bench leader at all and I'm wondering if the 18yo needs more in-person attention/guidance when he's not on the field.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:24 am

coloradocat wrote:Anyone know if DMac is always up in the box? Murray kept fighting the whole game but he didn't look like a bench leader at all and I'm wondering if the 18yo needs more in-person attention/guidance when he's not on the field.
Can't say I was paying too close attention, but I seem to recall DMac on the sideline at EWU and talking to Murray quite a bit-as well as warming him up before the game and after halftime. Maybe they changed things up because that didn't seem to be working. Maybe there were too many people talking to him. :shrug:

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:27 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:Anyone know if DMac is always up in the box? Murray kept fighting the whole game but he didn't look like a bench leader at all and I'm wondering if the 18yo needs more in-person attention/guidance when he's not on the field.
Can't say I was paying too close attention, but I seem to recall DMac on the sideline at EWU and talking to Murray quite a bit-as well as warming him up before the game and after halftime. Maybe they changed things up because that didn't seem to be working. Maybe there were too many people talking to him. :shrug:
That's what I was thinking. Murray may not be able to process everything that DMac throws at him in a game situation. He might vapour lock on too much attention. At any rate, that is an interesting observation because in all the previous games DMac has been very animated and obvious on the sidelines. Hmmmmm, what is in the air???

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:13 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
That's what I was thinking. Murray may not be able to process everything that DMac throws at him in a game situation. He might vapour lock on too much attention. At any rate, that is an interesting observation because in all the previous games DMac has been very animated and obvious on the sidelines. Hmmmmm, what is in the air???
I feel like the coaching staff is just trying to grind through and survive the season with Murray. He’s too good an athlete and too talented to be on the bench, but he is not a passer. Unless he makes some serious strides, I do not believe he will be our starting QB next year.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 pm

This is the first game I've not seen DeNarious on the sideline. I wondered if they wanted to try him up in the box so he could get a better view of the formations, etc. They've done that with Ty in the past :shrug:

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Cledus wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I feel like the coaching staff is just trying to grind through and survive the season with Murray. He’s too good an athlete and too talented to be on the bench, but he is not a passer. Unless he makes some serious strides, I do not believe he will be our starting QB next year.
I actually, oddly, thought he threw it ok yesterday. Some balls still fluttered, but he actually ripped a couple in there as well. Obviously, you can't make the mistakes with the picks, but 20-35 for 222 is good enough from him without the turnovers. I still think there's enough there to keep working for him. Having the guy out there that can score on his own from anywhere, anytime, is the great equalizer.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:46 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I actually, oddly, thought he threw it ok yesterday. Some balls still fluttered, but he actually ripped a couple in there as well. Obviously, you can't make the mistakes with the picks, but 20-35 for 222 is good enough from him without the turnovers. I still think there's enough there to keep working for him. Having the guy out there that can score on his own from anywhere, anytime, is the great equalizer.
Great point! If Murray can manage anything close to 20/35 for 220 each game, minus the turnovers, we'll be just fine.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm

I think he still is not comfortable in the pocket. One play the O-line created a pocket for him. Instead of planting his feet he kept rocking back and forth. One receiver got behind the D and was wide open if Chris hit him for a score. The receiver was waving his hands. Another receiver was open on the side lines also a possible TD. He throws the ball into three man coverage in the middle of the field and it was knocked down luckily and not intercepted. I don't think he sees the whole field or goes through the progression. He has gotten better but I don't think the passing game is ingrained into his playing habits or comfort zone. I made some comments in the game thread I shouldn't have just not typed about him in the heat of the moment but I think if another QB emerges as a passing QB that can also manage the run game I don't know if he will be the starter. If he can show a vast improvement from today to next fall he might hang on to it. He does add a duel threat that is hard for other teams to game plan. He just needs to make some improvements in the passing game to get to where he needs to be and what the team needs to be successful.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 pm

bobcat92 wrote:I think he still is not comfortable in the pocket. One play the O-line created a pocket for him. Instead of planting his feet he kept rocking back and forth. One receiver got behind the D and was wide open if Chris hit him for a score. The receiver was waving his hands. Another receiver was open on the side lines also a possible TD. He throws the ball into three man coverage in the middle of the field and it was knocked down luckily and not intercepted. I don't think he sees the whole field or goes through the progression. He has gotten better but I don't think the passing game is ingrained into his playing habits or comfort zone. I made some comments in the game thread I shouldn't have just not typed about him in the heat of the moment but I think if another QB emerges as a passing QB that can also manage the run game I don't know if he will be the starter. If he can show a vast improvement from today to next fall he might hang on to it. He does add a duel threat that is hard for other teams to game plan. He just needs to make some improvements in the passing game to get to where he needs to be and what the team needs to be successful.
Good points all, he's far from a finished product for sure, and i think i agree with you that it's an open question whether he gets where this thread indicates we all want him. But i still maintain it's worth continuing to try. If we can indeed stack a few wins here, Chris' confidence will continue to build. He needs continued coaching in the pocket, but he is also so dangerous out of it, it's not as relevant as for others. It's not an easy question, because we can only guess what his potential future replacements will be, while we know Murray can both tantalize and frustrate in perpetuity. His explosiveness in the run game is peerless in this league. He needs to continue to learn how to win, first, and i kinda think maybe the minutiae of qb play will come along in time. I hope.

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I have been very quiet on this board for a long time. I will say it now. We need a new head coach. You cant win in the big sky with a running style office. Currently, I am not sure what they are running and that is problem. It is not a pure running game and it certainly is not a passing game. It is what it is. Just bad designed on the offense side of the ball. That is a coaching problem. I hope after next year, we can get a new coach.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

BobCatFan wrote:I have been very quiet on this board for a long time. I will say it now. We need a new head coach. You cant win in the big sky with a running style office. Currently, I am not sure what they are running and that is problem. It is not a pure running game and it certainly is not a passing game. It is what it is. Just bad designed on the offense side of the ball. That is a coaching problem. I hope after next year, we can get a new coach.
Overreact much? You can win anywhere running the ball, if you have a solid QB who can pass when you need to. Your statement is like saying NDSU wouldn't have won the BSC over and over because they are run heavy. Crazy and asanine.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:41 pm

BobCatFan wrote:I have been very quiet on this board for a long time. I will say it now. We need a new head coach. You cant win in the big sky with a running style office. Currently, I am not sure what they are running and that is problem. It is not a pure running game and it certainly is not a passing game. It is what it is. Just bad designed on the offense side of the ball. That is a coaching problem. I hope after next year, we can get a new coach.
Now would be a good time to go back to being very quiet on this board.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:47 pm

My guess is that you haven’t posted for some time because you were an Ash supporter? You would have to be blind to not recognize the upward trajectory of our program. We have had great recruiting and have ushered in a new culture. Take a look at the similarities of Choates first two years and his mentors first two years at Washington. You must have some type of agenda or have not been paying close to attention to the past 4 years (including the downward trajectory of Ash’s last two seasons).

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:53 pm

From 12/5/15 and submitted without additional comment on your argument apparently advocating against a balanced offensive strategy:
BobCatFan wrote:Dang I was hoping for Kramer.

Serious quetion. Do good football coaches bounce around as much as coach Choate has? Maybe someone in the coaching ranks can clear this concern I have.

I have no idea how well he or any of the others coaches will or would have done. I just hope for the best. I will reserve more comments for a couple of years. As for now, we all need to support him 100%.