things I learned in Cheney

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:41 pm

1. They absolutely could care less about anybody not sitting on the hill side. Concessions are minimal, Bathrooms are minimal.
2. They teach their guys to try to intimidate. Just one example Troy goes down, as he is getting up the guy hangs onto his foot. I saw them attempt to get guys to retaliate all day long.
3. Beau Baldwin is still the head coach. They put up a new tarp extolling Cooper Kupp, bat also left up Baldwin's where it says he is the hc.
4. For actually being the flagship program, that stadium is an embarrassment. For any body whining about the east bleachers, you should thank god for what you got.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CAT HAS CLAWS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: things I learned in Cheney

Post by CAT HAS CLAWS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 pm

allcat wrote:1. They absolutely could care less about anybody not sitting on the hill side. Concessions are minimal, Bathrooms are minimal.
2. They teach their guys to try to intimidate. Just one example Troy goes down, as he is getting up the guy hangs onto his foot. I saw them attempt to get guys to retaliate all day long.
3. Beau Baldwin is still the head coach. They put up a new tarp extolling Cooper Kupp, bat also left up Baldwin's where it says he is the hc.
4. For actually being the flagship program, that stadium is an embarrassment. For any body whining about the east bleachers, you should thank god for what you got.
On a scale of 1-10 what would you give the gameday atmosphere?

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:38 pm

2 on a scale of 1-10 at the very best.

CAT HAS CLAWS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CAT HAS CLAWS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Cat_gld wrote:2 on a scale of 1-10 at the very best.
Wow, that bad?

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Went to a game a few years ago. Have to agree with everything you said. There were some positive things that should be mentioned. First, no trafic to worry about to get away from the stadium after the game. Second, Spokane is close.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 pm

allcat wrote:1. They absolutely could care less about anybody not sitting on the hill side. Concessions are minimal, Bathrooms are minimal.
I wasn't going to drop down here but could not resist.
#1. Do you mean why isn't anyone sitting on the hillside? If so it could be that there are bleachers between the hill and field. How many restrooms and concessions do you need for 10,000 people? Frankly I have been to two games in your stadium and I do not see a lot of difference in concessions especially when you consider the capacities.
#2. I think I know of the play you are speaking of... were you scared? That did not seem overly intimidating but perception is reality.
#3. He is a local hero, still admired but no one thinks Best is not in charge.
#4. Flagship? The Cats and Griz would be the flagship, the Eagles are relatively new to the Big Sky.
To be clear you have better facilities than we do. We do not have donors with deep pockets to build better, maybe some day.
Anyway we just keep winning.
Now I'll tell you what I learned about Bobcat fans. Not last year but 3 years ago when the Eagles visited Bozeman, after the game my wife and I went to a place on the main street coming off of the freeway near the Holiday Inn, think it was called Cats Paw or something like that. When we came out someone had broken a beer bottle on our windshield, probably because we had WA plates.
Welcome to Bozeman!

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:50 pm

clawman wrote:
#1. Do you mean why isn't anyone sitting on the hillside? If so it could be that there are bleachers between the hill and field. How many restrooms and concessions do you need for 10,000 people? Frankly I have been to two games in your stadium and I do not see a lot of difference in concessions especially when you consider the capacities.
#2. I think I know of the play you are speaking of... were you scared? That did not seem overly intimidating but perception is reality.
#4. Flagship? The Cats and Griz would be the flagship, the Eagles are relatively new to the Big Sky.
To be clear you have better facilities than we do. We do not have donors with deep pockets to build better, maybe some day.
Now I'll tell you what I learned about Bobcat fans. Not last year but 3 years ago when the Eagles visited Bozeman, after the game my wife and I went to a place on the main street coming off of the freeway near the Holiday Inn, think it was called Cats Paw or something like that. When we came out someone had broken a beer bottle on our windshield, probably because we had WA plates.
Welcome to Bozeman!
Someone broke your window at the Cats Paw because you were at the Cats Paw. That's what goes on there. Had nothing to do with your plate. Were you scared?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm

They've come a long, long ways though. They've got a pretty good contingent of tailgaters and their student section is big and into it. Their PA system is way better than ours...in that you can actually hear it. They crammed over 11,000 into that little shoe box. That's impressive, but it did make it harder to get around from the bleachers to the concessions and rest rooms. Also, there are long waits whenever the players and band are moving between the field to outside the stadium because there's no tunnel, they just rope off the route and you have to wait...and wait.

One thing interesting that I noticed today. The Spokane paper had huge color photo of the game and a couple of write ups. In past years, all the attention was on the Huskies, Cougars, and Vandals and the EWU game usually just got a casual mention. Today's paper was dominated by the Eagles. They are definitely winning the hearts and minds of more people in the Spokane area. I wonder if they'll ever have the booster and cooperate support to get a proper stadium built. Perhaps if they keep pumping guys into the NFL-those guys will donate back like Michael Roos did. That program deserves a much better facility-and it would be good for the whole league if they did.
Last edited by BelgradeBobcat on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm

clawman wrote:
Welcome to Bozeman!
I love Bozeman! Put a Cats sticker on your bumper next time and everything will be fine.

topey711
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by topey711 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Took me back to my high school playing days. Crowds there a little smaller (8,000 or so). Of course we didn't get several thousand opponent fans to bolster our numbers.... but we did have a roof over the stands...

CAT HAS CLAWS
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CAT HAS CLAWS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Questions: For those who were there, how many MSU fans (approximately) made the trek. Also, being as new to the Big Sky as I am, which fan base travels the best...if any?

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Clawman Not sure why you assume it was a Cat fan that broke you window. Regrettably we have a number of griz fans living in Bozeman and they hate Eastern more then any Cat fan ever has or ever will.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

topey711
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by topey711 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Enough MSU fans to push them to their 5th largest crowd ever......

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:26 pm

clawman wrote:
Welcome to Bozeman!
You took my post wrong. My biggest point was that the stadium sucks, any line was very long. The fact that you still have Beau Baldwin tarp seems ridiculous. The intimidation thing was just one of several instances that I saw. On that one I was curious if others saw the same thing, and kind of wondered if it was an Eastern thing, or do we see it everywhere. By flagship, I mean for the last 6 or 7 years you have been the team to beat. Yea Missoula and Bozeman have the best facilities. I've gone to many games in Cheney and even in Spokane. I'm amazed that your university leaders have not seen fit to upgrade anything.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Townsendcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Townsendcat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Lots of cats fans. If cat fans don’t like our stadium take the trip next time and you will realize how spoiled we are.

Improvement from the last trip a couple years ago they had six portable bathrooms this time compared to two (progress).
They do however have a cannon that sounds like a cannon not at all like our pop gun.

In Bobcat stadium I can leave my seat get coffee and a hotdog and be back in less than two minutes.
In Cheney it will take half a quarter.

I hate to admit this but we get treated better in Missoula tailgating than in Cheney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 pm

AFCAT wrote:
clawman wrote:
Welcome to Bozeman!
Someone broke your window at the Cats Paw because you were at the Cats Paw. That's what goes on there. Had nothing to do with your plate. Were you scared?
Yeah going to the Cats Paw was your 1st mistake clawman. It's funny you say were you scared about some dirty plays. No not scared, just a reason to dislike you guys. I commented in another thread that I always thought Eastern played with a lot of swag, and while it's annoying as hell, they've earned it. But at the same time they have always seemed classy, especially under Baldwin. That kind of crap isn't what classy teams do though.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Can you still get a beer at the game???

Nifty bottom up fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobcatbeliever
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatbeliever » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Second time attending a game in Cheney.
- Every EWU fan I interacted with before, during, and after the game was great. We talked football, our shared love for the Griz, and Bozeman/Butte bars. Some of them bought drinks for us after the game at Wild Bill's.

- The concession lines were long and I couldn't find a burger :( .

- but the bathroom lines were shorter then I've experienced in Bozeman at half time.

- loved the heaters next to the concessions stand, wish we would have had those at the MSU tailgate in the morning.

- I outwardly made fun of how they used their video screen to suck the life out of the stadium doing the trivia and player's whispering contest, but I couldn't help myself and laughed at a couple of the whispering phrases too.

- The fly-over was great before the game.

- Downtown Spokane the night before the game and after was great. They had wine tasting rooms, a great whiskey bar, the pre-game fire-up (well attended), fantastic restaurants, and plenty of hotel choices for reasonable rates.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:48 pm

CAT HAS CLAWS wrote:Questions: For those who were there, how many MSU fans (approximately) made the trek. Also, being as new to the Big Sky as I am, which fan base travels the best...if any?
I'd say at least 2500, probably not more than 4000. The west side bleachers were 80% plus Cat fans. Enough so that I'd say Eastern fans on our side felt like they were at an away game. Certainly not a hostile crowd or an unfriendly environment for the Cats.

I don't really hold EWUs facilities against them. They aren't a flagship school in their state-they're a commuter school in a region with some pretty top tier academic & athletic programs. WAZZU plays football 90 miles to the south and Gonzaga plays BB 20 miles to the East, so EWU is sort of a no-mans land. They're a ways from the facilities at UM & MSU, but they are a fair shake ahead of SUU or ISU.

Allcat-I wouldn't post smack talk about their facilities until we prove that we can beat them on the field. How long has it been? 10 years?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Eastern Washington is kicking our butts on a consistent basis. No need to get on a high horse here. I think we need to look very hard at what they are doing and how they are doing it.