things I learned in Cheney

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: things I learned in Cheney

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 am

onceacat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CAT HAS CLAWS wrote:Questions: For those who were there, how many MSU fans (approximately) made the trek. Also, being as new to the Big Sky as I am, which fan base travels the best...if any?
I'd say at least 2500, probably not more than 4000. The west side bleachers were 80% plus Cat fans. Enough so that I'd say Eastern fans on our side felt like they were at an away game. Certainly not a hostile crowd or an unfriendly environment for the Cats.

I don't really hold EWUs facilities against them. They aren't a flagship school in their state-they're a commuter school in a region with some pretty top tier academic & athletic programs. WAZZU plays football 90 miles to the south and Gonzaga plays BB 20 miles to the East, so EWU is sort of a no-mans land. They're a ways from the facilities at UM & MSU, but they are a fair shake ahead of SUU or ISU.

Allcat-I wouldn't post smack talk about their facilities until we prove that we can beat them on the field. How long has it been? 10 years?
6 years.
And EWU has won 13 of the last 15. Since 2002, our only two wins against EWU came in 2010 and 2011. We've been much more competitive against UM...6-9 in our last 15 against them.
Ouch. I knew it was bad. We've been to 3 games their since 2009, all losses. Didn't know it was that bad.

EWOO has a massive recruiting advantage over us-I'm really psyched to see Choate going after the same pool of talent. I'm hopeful that our facilities can help us compete with their talent pool.
Let's not forget that the recruiting advantage is also aided by lower academic standards.
Its not as though MSUs academic standards are keeping a lot of talented guys out. This isn't UC Davis.

Washington has 7 million people and only 3 D1 schools. Neither UW nor WSU recruit Washington all that heavily. And nobody out of state really recruits Washington that heavily. EWU is left with a ton of talent to pick from with in-state tuition & partials.

Imagine you are a highly touted recruit from Seattle. If you go to EWU, you get to play for a national title contender. Your mom gets to watch you play every home game. If you get hurt or quit football, you won't have to transfer. There are people the same race as you in the community and on the college campus.

Its even better for the coaches. Aaron Best can leave town on a Friday afternoon, catch a game in Seattle, talk to a half dozen recruits, and be back home by midnight. If Choate wants to recruit in Seattle, its automatically an overnight trip, and its going to cost the school $1000.

Bottom line, we need the facilities to compete on an even footing. But if it makes you feel better to blame it on academic standards.
Pretty fair assessment. I'm glad that we are really focusing on WA guys. There is a lot of talent there. I don't know what route Best is taking from Seattle to Cheney, but he must know a shortcut if he's getting back by midnight :lol:

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am

onceacat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CAT HAS CLAWS wrote:Questions: For those who were there, how many MSU fans (approximately) made the trek. Also, being as new to the Big Sky as I am, which fan base travels the best...if any?
I'd say at least 2500, probably not more than 4000. The west side bleachers were 80% plus Cat fans. Enough so that I'd say Eastern fans on our side felt like they were at an away game. Certainly not a hostile crowd or an unfriendly environment for the Cats.

I don't really hold EWUs facilities against them. They aren't a flagship school in their state-they're a commuter school in a region with some pretty top tier academic & athletic programs. WAZZU plays football 90 miles to the south and Gonzaga plays BB 20 miles to the East, so EWU is sort of a no-mans land. They're a ways from the facilities at UM & MSU, but they are a fair shake ahead of SUU or ISU.

Allcat-I wouldn't post smack talk about their facilities until we prove that we can beat them on the field. How long has it been? 10 years?
6 years.
And EWU has won 13 of the last 15. Since 2002, our only two wins against EWU came in 2010 and 2011. We've been much more competitive against UM...6-9 in our last 15 against them.
Ouch. I knew it was bad. We've been to 3 games their since 2009, all losses. Didn't know it was that bad.

EWOO has a massive recruiting advantage over us-I'm really psyched to see Choate going after the same pool of talent. I'm hopeful that our facilities can help us compete with their talent pool.
Let's not forget that the recruiting advantage is also aided by lower academic standards.
Its not as though MSUs academic standards are keeping a lot of talented guys out. This isn't UC Davis.

Washington has 7 million people and only 3 D1 schools. Neither UW nor WSU recruit Washington all that heavily. And nobody out of state really recruits Washington that heavily. EWU is left with a ton of talent to pick from with in-state tuition & partials.

Imagine you are a highly touted recruit from Seattle. If you go to EWU, you get to play for a national title contender. Your mom gets to watch you play every home game. If you get hurt or quit football, you won't have to transfer. There are people the same race as you in the community and on the college campus.

Its even better for the coaches. Aaron Best can leave town on a Friday afternoon, catch a game in Seattle, talk to a half dozen recruits, and be back home by midnight. If Choate wants to recruit in Seattle, its automatically an overnight trip, and its going to cost the school $1000.

Bottom line, we need the facilities to compete on an even footing. But if it makes you feel better to blame it on academic standards.
You don't think it helps that Best can recruit 2.0's? I do.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Just being honest, I had a terrible GPA, and made it into MSU without any issue. My ACT/SAT scores were very good, but I don't think MSU turns kids away based on GPA (at least they didn't in 2002).

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:20 pm

DriscollCat wrote:Just being honest, I had a terrible GPA, and made it into MSU without any issue. My ACT/SAT scores were very good, but I don't think MSU turns kids away based on GPA (at least they didn't in 2002).
You're correct. The standard for automatic qualification at most schools is either a minimum GPA OR Minimum scores on SAT / ACT, along with all of the college prep.

I'm just telling you EWU can recruit kids that have NO CHANCE of getting into MSU or UM. The automatic qualifiers are not that different from the standpoint of GPA or SAT/ACT scores, but EWU has what they call "Admission Path #2: The Review Process", which basically states that the university will "take a look" at GPA and standardized test scores and the difficulty of classes taken, but the only real requirement is a 2.0 GPA. To think that this is not a competitive advantage on the football field is sticking your head in the sand.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:58 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:Just being honest, I had a terrible GPA, and made it into MSU without any issue. My ACT/SAT scores were very good, but I don't think MSU turns kids away based on GPA (at least they didn't in 2002).
You're correct. The standard for automatic qualification at most schools is either a minimum GPA OR Minimum scores on SAT / ACT, along with all of the college prep.

I'm just telling you EWU can recruit kids that have NO CHANCE of getting into MSU or UM. The automatic qualifiers are not that different from the standpoint of GPA or SAT/ACT scores, but EWU has what they call "Admission Path #2: The Review Process", which basically states that the university will "take a look" at GPA and standardized test scores and the difficulty of classes taken, but the only real requirement is a 2.0 GPA. To think that this is not a competitive advantage on the football field is sticking your head in the sand.
That is definately an advantage, but MSU isn't exactly Stanford with their 2.5 GPA requirement. There probably are some really good athletes that fall between 2.0 and 2.5 though

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 pm

I taught some classes at MSU in the early 2000. Lets just say that academics don't really keep any football players from attending Montana State. A lack of interest in showing up for class, yes. Ability to score a minimum GPA, not so much.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am

clawman wrote:
allcat wrote:1. They absolutely could care less about anybody not sitting on the hill side. Concessions are minimal, Bathrooms are minimal.
2. They teach their guys to try to intimidate. Just one example Troy goes down, as he is getting up the guy hangs onto his foot. I saw them attempt to get guys to retaliate all day long.
3. Beau Baldwin is still the head coach. They put up a new tarp extolling Cooper Kupp, bat also left up Baldwin's where it says he is the hc.
4. For actually being the flagship program, that stadium is an embarrassment. For any body whining about the east bleachers, you should thank god for what you got.
I wasn't going to drop down here but could not resist.
#1. Do you mean why isn't anyone sitting on the hillside? If so it could be that there are bleachers between the hill and field. How many restrooms and concessions do you need for 10,000 people? Frankly I have been to two games in your stadium and I do not see a lot of difference in concessions especially when you consider the capacities.
#2. I think I know of the play you are speaking of... were you scared? That did not seem overly intimidating but perception is reality.
#3. He is a local hero, still admired but no one thinks Best is not in charge.
#4. Flagship? The Cats and Griz would be the flagship, the Eagles are relatively new to the Big Sky.
To be clear you have better facilities than we do. We do not have donors with deep pockets to build better, maybe some day.
Anyway we just keep winning.
Now I'll tell you what I learned about Bobcat fans. Not last year but 3 years ago when the Eagles visited Bozeman, after the game my wife and I went to a place on the main street coming off of the freeway near the Holiday Inn, think it was called Cats Paw or something like that. When we came out someone had broken a beer bottle on our windshield, probably because we had WA plates.
Welcome to Bozeman!
I can relate to that.......3 times

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com