Difference between MSU and EWU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Difference between MSU and EWU

Post by desmond1957 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 am

95bcfb wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:There was a lot of talk (much of it by me) about the clash of styles between MSU and EWU going into this game. The biggest clash turned out to be that one knows how to win and the other does not. That's each team's identity.

MSU has lost four games and if you look back you'll notice that in three games they had multiple opportunities to win, but didn't seize those chances. Both wins have been decisive.

EWU is just the opposite. They have three wins that, if they were a team that didn't know how to win, they probably blow it. Their two losses have been decisive.

MSU has everything it needs, in terms of skills, right now to be a winner. It just doesn't know how to win against teams that have similar skills. When the time comes to make a play teams like MSU don't, while teams like EWU do.

NO, they don't. MSU has had some tremendous players at every position over the last ten years. But this team does not have those types of players at RB, WR, CB or DE. Are they on the roster? Maybe, but they have not shown up yet. We have solid, well coached players at those positions but no difference makers. We will see if some of the freshmen and RS freshmen become those types of players.
(quote="95bcfb)I think on the play you are referring to it was a 3rd and 27 situation and the 3rd down pass play that went for 23 yards that brought up the 4th and 4 where Grant got hurt trying to make a one-armed tackle after flushing the QB.(just to keep the record straight).
Give some examples of key plays where the ability of the past player would've made a failed key play of this team work.
I think that there is a combination of things going on. I only got to watch a small portion of the game but listened to the rest. One example of a play that was not made because of a lack of top level play is the 20 something yard scramble by their QB. Grant missed a tackle for a loss and allowed him to keep running. I am not bashing Grant because I think that he is a good player but he is not a great player. If he had the speed of Daily or Fletcher he likely makes that tackle and the cats get the ball back. Great teams have great players that rise up to the occasion and make plays at critical times and inspire toughness. I think that we are good on defense and just held a great team to well below their average but we are not great yet (see NDSU for a great defense). There may be a mental toughness aspect but there is also a skill level as well. Offensively we were pounding them into submission and had we gone in for a score would have likely continued to wear them down - but we turned the ball over instead. MeGee may have turned the ball over but I doubt it. Offensively we are not balanced enough to overcome mistakes and that is largely due - in my opinion - to a yet developing QB. I don't think that Murray is bad but he is not consistent enough at passing to take a game over with his arm yet and we will never be great until he or someone else can do that. We could talk about all the other positions as well but those are the two that come to mind for me.

On a side note if you had told me that we would have turned the ball over 4 times - 3 inside the 25 - and still be within 2 scores I would have said no way. This team does know how to fight - we just need to learn how to finish now.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Difference between MSU and EWU

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 pm

MSU continues quest learning how to win
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-in-q ... ow-to-win/