Okay, now talk to me about 'HATE'

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Okay, now talk to me about 'HATE'

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm

John K wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:I root for the Cats whenever they are not playing the Griz. I know many Cat fans who used to say the same about the Griz, but that fricking streak seemed to make things turn bitter. I wish the head-to-head historical record between the two teams was dead-even so all the vitriol could just end. Or maybe it would be worse. Go Griz. Go Cats. Here's to healthy players and clean, strong programs. The state of Montana is fortunate for this rivalry.
To me the past 50 years is all that really matters. You know, after they stopped wearing leather helmets? This rivalry is much more even than most Griz are willing to admit.

BTW, good post! At the start of the streak, (Dickenson years) I rooted for the Griz in the playoffs. I haven't for quite some time now due to the arrogance exhibited by many of your cohorts,
Agree. I remember long stretches of the 1970s and 1980s when the Cats owned the Griz.
Actually it goes back even further than that...way before my time even. MSU dominated UM from the mid 50's through the mid 80's, starting with our NC season in 1956 and running through 1985...the year before "the streak" began. The Griz had a couple of brief intermittent periods of success during that time, but the Cats had the better program for almost the entirety of that 30 year period. We never had a 16 game winning streak in Cat Griz, but we had a couple of 6 game streaks, while the Griz never won more than 2 in a row during that era. Overall, MSU had a 22-8 edge in Cat-Griz, with three NC. We had 10 conference championships, compared to only 3 for UM.

Beginning with the 2010 season, the year after UM's last NC game appearance in 2009, the two programs have been very close. I don't really subscribe to that whole "vacated wins" concept. However, if you did take that into account, then MSU would have a slight edge overall. We have 3 BSC titles compared to only 1 for them (which was subsequently vacated), We've been in the QF twice, while UM has only 1 QF appearance (which was also vacated). They have a 5-4 edge in playoff appearances (but 4 each officially since 1 was vacated), and a 4-3 edge in Cat-Griz. Even counting their 2 vacated wins, we still have a slight edge with a 37-19 record in BSC games to their 36-20. They have a better overall record by the slimmest of margins at 56-34 to MSU's 54-34, counting 5 vacated wins. Excluding their vacated wins,we have a razor thin edge, 54-34 to their 51-34. Really, you can't get much closer than that.

I don't dispute it. Great rivalry. I think it's fair to call it fairly even. I do believe it is accurate that the Cats have won 3 out of the last 10, and 6 out of the last 20, and 37 out of the last 114. But I do remember some stretches where it felt like the Cats owned the Griz.

hilinegrizfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hilinegrizfan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 am

I posted this on egriz and thought it applied here as well... to sum it up... there are idiot fans on both sides who take it too far. and there are normal fans who love the rivalry but have common sense... it is ignorant to generalize an entire fan base... based on the actions of a select few...

A cat/griz tale:

I'm a griz fan and my core group of friends are mostly Cat fans, and we give each other ******, in a fun way. I love the rivalry. It's unlike anything else around. My voice is gone after every cat griz game and the energy level in the stadium is unparalleled. I want to us win that game more than any other. Badly.

Cat/Griz rivalry is awesome. Although, I will say it brings out some serious douchebaggery - ON BOTH SIDES (there are no Nazis on either side of this argument so I can say that).

That being said, I usually go to the Cat/Griz game in Bozeman every other year, and my cat friends come to the Missoula cat/Griz games. When they are with me here I don't see anyone giving them too much trouble, perhaps some harmless jabs at the overall record and saying their shirts are ugly, usually with a smile on their face. Maybe its because they are walking around with me, I don't know. It never gets out of hand though. Even after last years embarrassment in our own stadium.

After the game in bozeman 2 years ago, I was walking out of the stadium with my cat fan friends. There was a grown man, a father, that was sitting at a tailgate with his crew, kids were there, probably 45 years old, come up to me and started saying "F*ck you F*ck you griz fan eat ****** and die go back to Missoula you F*ckin POS hippy F*g " and so on. He was basically trying to get me to fight him. I'm 6'5 250 and not afraid to hurt someone but I just ignored him because honestly I felt sorry for him. But my Cat friends stood up to him and told him he's a disgrace to the bobcats and to get a life. Called him pathetic, and so on.

On the same walk back to the truck, there where a group of women Griz fans chanting "eat ****** bobcats go Griz go". now granted, they were students... but still not very classy. And yes, there were kids wearing bobcat gear in the group they were chanting that at. As a father, that just isn't cool.

I guess the moral of the story is, there are people on both sides who take it waaaaaaay too far and there are fans that love the rivalry but have some common decency. The bad ones ruin it for those of us fans who enjoy the healthy rivalry for what it's worth - a bunch of kids - yes, kids we must remember- representing their schools and playing a game. A very fun game that is the sporting event of the year, every year, in our state.

I root for the kittens when I'm watching their game with my friends who are cat fans. That's about the extent of the support I give them. If they are in the playoffs and we aren't, I'll root for them too. Because while I love the griz, I love the state Montana even more.

Just because someone is wearing griz gear... doesn't make them an entitled asshole fan..who wants all cat fans to eat ******... although there are some.
Just because someone is wearing Cat gear.... doesn't make them a bitter asshole fan.... who wants all griz fans to east ******... although there are some.

If there is a fan, on either side, that believes the best thing to happen to them that year, is a bunch of 20 year old's winning a football game... you should feel sorry for them. because their life sucks.

I give every cat fan the benefit of the doubt...until they start acting like an idiot. there are good and bad fans... ON BOTH SIDES

All that being said... I'm expecting an awesome Cat/Griz game this year. Looking forward to going to every game until i'm dead.

Go Griz!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 pm

hilinegrizfan wrote:I posted this on egriz and thought it applied here as well... to sum it up... there are idiot fans on both sides who take it too far. and there are normal fans who love the rivalry but have common sense... it is ignorant to generalize an entire fan base... based on the actions of a select few...

A cat/griz tale:

I'm a griz fan and my core group of friends are mostly Cat fans, and we give each other ******, in a fun way. I love the rivalry. It's unlike anything else around. My voice is gone after every cat griz game and the energy level in the stadium is unparalleled. I want to us win that game more than any other. Badly.

Cat/Griz rivalry is awesome. Although, I will say it brings out some serious douchebaggery - ON BOTH SIDES (there are no Nazis on either side of this argument so I can say that).

That being said, I usually go to the Cat/Griz game in Bozeman every other year, and my cat friends come to the Missoula cat/Griz games. When they are with me here I don't see anyone giving them too much trouble, perhaps some harmless jabs at the overall record and saying their shirts are ugly, usually with a smile on their face. Maybe its because they are walking around with me, I don't know. It never gets out of hand though. Even after last years embarrassment in our own stadium.

After the game in bozeman 2 years ago, I was walking out of the stadium with my cat fan friends. There was a grown man, a father, that was sitting at a tailgate with his crew, kids were there, probably 45 years old, come up to me and started saying "F*ck you F*ck you griz fan eat ****** and die go back to Missoula you F*ckin POS hippy F*g " and so on. He was basically trying to get me to fight him. I'm 6'5 250 and not afraid to hurt someone but I just ignored him because honestly I felt sorry for him. But my Cat friends stood up to him and told him he's a disgrace to the bobcats and to get a life. Called him pathetic, and so on.

On the same walk back to the truck, there where a group of women Griz fans chanting "eat ****** bobcats go Griz go". now granted, they were students... but still not very classy. And yes, there were kids wearing bobcat gear in the group they were chanting that at. As a father, that just isn't cool.

I guess the moral of the story is, there are people on both sides who take it waaaaaaay too far and there are fans that love the rivalry but have some common decency. The bad ones ruin it for those of us fans who enjoy the healthy rivalry for what it's worth - a bunch of kids - yes, kids we must remember- representing their schools and playing a game. A very fun game that is the sporting event of the year, every year, in our state.

I root for the kittens when I'm watching their game with my friends who are cat fans. That's about the extent of the support I give them. If they are in the playoffs and we aren't, I'll root for them too. Because while I love the griz, I love the state Montana even more.

Just because someone is wearing griz gear... doesn't make them an entitled asshole fan..who wants all cat fans to eat ******... although there are some.
Just because someone is wearing Cat gear.... doesn't make them a bitter asshole fan.... who wants all griz fans to east ******... although there are some.

If there is a fan, on either side, that believes the best thing to happen to them that year, is a bunch of 20 year old's winning a football game... you should feel sorry for them. because their life sucks.

I give every cat fan the benefit of the doubt...until they start acting like an idiot. there are good and bad fans... ON BOTH SIDES

All that being said... I'm expecting an awesome Cat/Griz game this year. Looking forward to going to every game until i'm dead.

Go Griz!
=D^ bravo sir, bravo.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm always amazed that a person can go to Walmart, purchase a team jersey, and now proclaim that they are superior to some other guy who went to Walmart and purchased a different teams jersey.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:00 pm

what a weird thread

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:what a weird thread
What a normal thread.....when a griz troll/fake bobcat fan is involved

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Image
I believe it. From good sources I know you love Thai food.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:30 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Great. Now I have to move again. :lol:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Great. Now I have to move again. :lol:
This is #fakenews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

hilinegrizfan wrote:I posted this on egriz and thought it applied here as well... to sum it up... there are idiot fans on both sides who take it too far. and there are normal fans who love the rivalry but have common sense... it is ignorant to generalize an entire fan base... based on the actions of a select few...

A cat/griz tale:

Go Griz!
Good post. I will say that referring to the Cats as the kitties drives me crazy and is in poor taste, but otherwise a good post and spot on.

Would love to hear your opinion on who has a higher percentage of “a-hole” fans. I think it is clearly the Griz.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 pm

The only thing that bugs me is that I've met a disproportionate number of people who don't give two sh##s about college football but they love to get Griz gear and give me a hard time. At least with things a bit more even the past couple of years its quiets them down a bit.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm

I make it to one or two Cat games in Bozeman each season. I make it to most Griz games in Missoula each season. They have some things in common:

(1.) Many thousands of Montanans enjoying football.

(2.) Several thousand Montanans enjoying cocktails with their football.

(3.) Many hundreds of Montanans above a 1.0 BAC but who have designated drivers and who are pleasantly having a good time.

(4.) Several hundred Montanans who are blotto and obnoxious.

(5.) A few hundred Montanans who are ****** and downright dickheads (wear visiting team colors and they quickly identify themselves for you).

Both stadiums, ladies and gentlemen. Missoula and Bozeman.

Don't confuse the dicks on both sides with the "fans" on one side. We have more in common than we know.

Go Griz. Go Cats. Stay healthy.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 pm

AFCAT wrote:I'm always amazed that a person can go to Walmart, purchase a team jersey, and now proclaim that they are superior to some other guy who went to Walmart and purchased a different teams jersey.
I must be an awesome BOBCAT fan because I generally get my gear from the bookstore.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.